• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megatrain Salisbury to Waterloo - £1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I checked back, yellow wasn't specified. Not knowing you (and my not being there for quite a while) it was not clear whether "oyster reader on p2" was in fact a pink one - or whether to an outsider unfamiliar with London the difference would be known.
My bad, I checked my original post and you are right, I forgot to mention that all the CLJ Oyster validators are Yellow, no pink ones!
Anyway, returning to the issue at hand, what would we think if our man bought Woking to Feltham or Twickenham single/return tickets? I expect in reality that this is much more expensive then the Waterloo fare already given, but it was the principle I wanted to raise really.

This would be even more pointless really, as the Passenger still would not be allowed to alight at Woking to change for a service to Weybridge, then to the stopping service to Feltham. Therefore if the passenger was stopped by an RPI/RPA in Woking (in theory), he would be liable to pay the full single fare from SAL to WOK, plus the WOK to FEL ticket on top, ouch!

The same Megatrain conditions apply, whichever station the passenger decides to get off at (unless it's the point to point destination, ie Waterloo), the passenger would be breaking the terms of the Megatrain ticket, therefore invalidating it and liable to what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hantsman1205

(My highlighting !)

I note the OP's very optimistic opening statement.

I hope he has better luck with Megatrain tickets SAL - WAT than I have had up to now. They seem to be like the Loch Ness monster - lots of apocryphal reports that they do exist, but no actual proof of that !

Numerous attempts on my part have succeeded in getting exactly ZERO tickets............luckily, I can get good value AP tickets from Warminster.

I already have a £1 fare for Jan 2012. If you get on the computer at midnight 45 days before the day you want to travel, you should be able to buy 1 fare @ £1 for any of the train times, the next ticket will be £6, and the next £6, 4th one will be £10, or sometimes if you buy 4 @ once it will be £32. I tried all this only for SAL to WAT journey times

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station...
This is defined in NRCoC, and he will not be doing anything that counts as a BOJ.
Yes it is perfectly relevant, I have therein presented the reasoning as to what ticket type we are talking about, and how the price reflects its lack of flexiblity, this does relate to the OP.
But how does it? The OP is not asking to do any of the "flexible" things you suggest! The OP is not asking to take an earlier/later train, nor is the OP asking to break the journey!
Disagree, the OP wished to alight at CLJ, therefore invalidating their Megatrain ticket, fact.
This isn't actually stated anywhere, it's your interpretation and one that I disagree with. If SWT were so sure the ticket had been "invalidated", why did they back down in the recent case as described on The One Show?

Nowhere did I state that I mentioned the literal terms used in the Megatrain T&C's, you seem to be confusing yourself there. I understand the principles of BOJ and how it applies to this situation.
Then I fail to understand how you reached the conclusions, and I ask again where would the customer be deemed to be breaking their journey (bearing in mind the definition)? The only possible answer can be "Feltham"!

No, it is not absurd, it is following the terms of the ticket. Common sense doesn't apply here as you do have to pay more for convenience.
OK, let's go with common sense not applying. If SWT did not apply common sense when they backed down over the recent case described on The One Show, then SWT must have realised the terms were unenforceable and/or that the passenger did not invalidate the terms.:)
The doubling back IS required because of the two different tickets held, if the passenger decides to break the Megatrain terms then that portion of the journey is invalidated and they are liable to pay the whole single fare again.
Again, this is your interpretation, this is not written down anywhere. Also the NRCoC states an excess should be charged, not a whole single fare. SWT are known for getting things wrong, they've done it before and I can guarantee they'll do it again.

How I read the article was that the person alighting at CLJ were not allowed exit there, until they had already been "fined", and that fine's appeal was rejected, so I can't see how Megatrain or SWT backed down. Therefore if there's any precedent, it will be the precendent of being "fined" for breaking Megatrain terms.
That's not my understanding. Just because someone reports that a "fine" was issued, doesn't mean it was, and certainly doesn't set a precedent that one can be fined. I find it most disturbing and concerning that SWT even think they can get away with this, given that the NRCoC and PF legislation doesn't allow for it, and given that the previous Eastleigh incident actually set a precedent that they should have learnt from, and I also find it extremely concerning that there can be any suggestion of such a precedent being set that someone can be "fined" (whatever definition, correct or otherwise, of "fined" is used!)

Someone who actually watched the program reported that "they backed down", so I am taking that to be true. Are you stating that you know this statement to be incorrect?

Sure, but that doesn't conclude that breaking the Megatrain terms to suit the passenger is permitted, even without PF in the equasion, the full single fare is still payable in such a situation.
Again, remind me, what does the NRCoC say is payable? And also what circumstances is it payable?

All TOC's have staff acting incorrectly from time to time, not just SWT. Whichever rumours about staff on this forum are heard, they hold no weight as actual evidence.
The forum members who witnessed such behaviour are not lying.
I agree with the second part, however this sways from the topic, you told me some of my post was not relevant to the OP, can I therefore suggest that this bit isn't either?
The relevance is that SWT do have a bit of a culture (more than other TOCs, but in line with EMT, who are also owned by Stagecoach) of making things up. EMT & SWT are the TOCs who have the most reports of denial of the rules on matters such as break of journey, "split ticketing", the Routeing Guide, and various other matters. I do not believe this is a co-incidence and it is the culture of the organisations that is a problem.
How is it acting inappropriately, to make the passenger pay more for breaking the terms of their ticket? Maybe the PF was inappropriate, but surely you agree that an excess would have been appropriate to the situation.
If the passenger carries out the acts necessary for a BOJ to have occurred, then the company could carry out the correct excess. In the case of Eastleigh, SWT made up their own rules and did not follow NRCoC. In the case of the OP, there is no BOJ at Clapham Jn.
Common sense cannot be applied, I said this earlier. The Megatrain ticket is totally inflexible, the terms must be followed to make it valid on the journey. Alighting early has rightly been penalised on Megatrain tickets, otherwise there might be an increase in passengers using Megatrain tickets incorrectly, abusing their terms and whitholding revenue from TOC's when they should have purchased more flexible tickets for their itinary.
I've already answered this above. Bit if the OP holds Salisbury - London and London - Feltham tickets, the revenue to the company is the same whether he doubles back between Clapham Jn and London or not.
Again, sound advice. However bare in mind that the Guard will probably be a commercial one, and therefore will have good knowledge of Megatrain terms, so I would be shocked if he recommended breaking the Megatrain terms by alighting at CLJ ;)
Well, if so, then my shock would remain, but would be firmly directed at SWT and not the staff member in question.
Exactly, the Megatrain part of the journey is direct to Waterloo, the change at Clapham Junction is only to suit the OP and save them money!
But, as we've already discussed, you can't use that argument if the OP purchases a London - Feltham ticket, and I will repeat my advise to the OP that if he wishes to make his case more sound or has any concerns about the debate surrounding the purchase of a Clapham Jn - Feltham ticket being considered to deprive SWT of revenue between Waterloo and Clapham Jn, then he should purchase a Waterloo to Feltham ticket. All this has been said before, I'd rather not repeat it. This is all a repetition of previous threads such as the ones involving Norwich!
Incorrect, remember that if the passenger alights at Clapham Jn, they invalidate their Megatrain ticket because of breaking the terms of it. The Megatrain ticket is to Waterloo, therefore the combined ticket that the OP should hold, should be a Waterloo to Feltham ticket.
Well, I don't quite agree with that, but I do agree that if the OP purchases a Wateroo to Feltham ticket then there can be no argument that there is any loss to the company whatsoever.

This is not relevant to the OP, who would be on a fast Class 159 service from Salisbury to Waterloo, which does indeed go direct from CLJ to WAT. The stations inbetween are only served by slower stopping services.
I think John interpreted the OP's question as to the Waterloo to Feltham journey. Queenstown Road would be skipped by most trains between Feltham and Waterloo, but some do call there.

And hasn't it been numerously reported on here that SWT do not have any CTAs?
/QUOTE]

That is my understanding. I couldn't get a good enough view of the PF notices on Stations Made Easy ( [stn]CLJ[/stn])and it will be a while before I'm back at [stn]CLJ[/stn] (I was there a couple of weeks ago).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant woking-feltham via Clapham.
I don't think it's necessary, but would be entirely valid IMO.

Brucey

With regards to CTAs at CLJ, the only one that I'm aware of is Platform 2 (starting at the red line by the steps and covering the whole platform). Rather stupidly, there are actually Oyster validators on this platform rather than before entering the CTA.

Oyster validators are also located on platforms 16 and 17, which are not within a CTA.

34D

Established Member
With regards to CTAs at CLJ, the only one that I'm aware of is Platform 2 (starting at the red line by the steps and covering the whole platform). Rather stupidly, there are actually Oyster validators on this platform rather than before entering the CTA.

Oyster validators are also located on platforms 16 and 17, which are not within a CTA.

Thank you for clarifying. I had a vague recollection of a sign on the footbridge - I must have been thinking of a different station!

Brucey

Thank you for clarifying. I had a vague recollection of a sign on the footbridge - I must have been thinking of a different station!

The sign is on the footbridge as the red line is at the top of the stairs and just in front of the lift entrance. There are similar markings in the subway.

wibble

Numerous attempts on my part have succeeded in getting exactly ZERO tickets............luckily, I can get good value AP tickets from Warminster.

Looking at the furthest date they're open for, Weds 18 Jan 2012, there are £1 fares available on the 1421, 1621 and 2126 Salisbury - Waterloo trains. :)

Username

I do not agree with this, because the first place he "leaves a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations" is Feltham, and if he does that at Feltham, then I fail to see how he can be treated as breaking his journey when not entitled to do so. Until he leaves the station he cannot be "treated as breaking (his) journey" by definition.

From the NRCOC:

" For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than:
(i) to join a train at another station, or
(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff. "

If the above quoted text from the NRCOC is serving as the definition then it is true {under point (i)} that no break of journey occurs if you "leave a train Company's or Rail Service Company's stations" to "join a train at another station". {points (ii) and (iii) are being ignored as they appear to bear no relevance here}

However, from what I understand, the OP is not leaving Clapham Jcn in order to join a train at another station.
He is in fact joining another train at the same station (Clapham Jcn), which is not the same thing.

I can see no part of the definition which permits this, and no part of the definition which distinguishes between leaving the station on foot or by train.

Therefore, by the definition in the NRCOC, surely the journey would be broken the moment that the service to Feltham departed Clapham Jcn as the OP would be leaving the station in circumstances other than those specifically permitted?

I would concede that if the OP walked out of Clapham Jcn with the intention of making his way on foot, by bus or by taxi to the next stop down the line where he could join a train to Feltham, then point (i) could be said to be satisfied and no break of journey would take place.
Or, if he departed Clapham Jcn by train with the intention of alighting at a subsequent station in order to join a train there, then also point (i) could technically be claimed to be met.

Incidentally, didn't there used to be a clause that no break of journey took place if you alighted for the purpose of using "station facilities"? Did that disappear in the latest revision or am I thinking of something else? (it's gotten vary late to the point of being very early)

bnm

Established Member
Isn't all this talk of NRCoC and break of journey moot?

The simple fact of the matter is that the Megatrain conditions forbid alighting at a station other than those named on your booking confirmation:

10. Bookings for megatrain services are in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Some of these conditions are clarified or specifically amended below.

<snip>

e. You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.

As allowed by the NRCoC they are giving less extensive rights. "....these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the relevant Train Companies will make this clear in their notices and other publications."

Just because SWT have refunded some folk who have shouted loudest and gone to the media doesn't change the contractual position.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the NRCOC:

" For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than:
(i) to join a train at another station, or
(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff. "

If the above quoted text from the NRCOC is serving as the definition then it is true {under point (i)} that no break of journey occurs if you "leave a train Company's or Rail Service Company's stations"
He doesn't leave a station until Feltham!
to "join a train at another station". {points (ii) and (iii) are being ignored as they appear to bear no relevance here}

However, from what I understand, the OP is not leaving Clapham Jcn in order to join a train at another station.
He is in fact joining another train at the same station (Clapham Jcn), which is not the same thing.
Being on a train that leaves a station is not to be confused with a person leaving a station.
I can see no part of the definition which permits this, and no part of the definition which distinguishes between leaving the station on foot or by train.
I doubt that this interpretation has ever been considered before, but if it were correct then every time a train departed a station with a customer who had a ticket that did not permit a break of journey, then their ticket would be invalidated because the train departing the station means a "break" has occurred. Needless to say I do not think that interpretation could possibly be considered correct, and this is getting crazy now.
Incidentally, didn't there used to be a clause that no break of journey took place if you alighted for the purpose of using "station facilities"? Did that disappear in the latest revision or am I thinking of something else? (it's gotten vary late to the point of being very early)
The definition is clear: BOJ occurs when you leave a station. Using station facilities is not leaving the station, because you're still in the station. BOJ and changing trains or alighting from trains are not in any way the same thing.
Isn't all this talk of NRCoC and break of journey moot?

The simple fact of the matter is that the Megatrain conditions forbid alighting at a station other than those named on your booking confirmation:

As allowed by the NRCoC they are giving less extensive rights. "....these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the relevant Train Companies will make this clear in their notices and other publications."

As the OP won't be leaving a station until Feltham, the journey is not "broken" at Clapham Jn as defined by the terms in the contract.
Just because SWT have refunded some folk who have shouted loudest and gone to the media doesn't change the contractual position.
If SWT were so certain that these terms were not Unfair Terms, why did customers get their money back?

bnm

Established Member
Yet again, Yorkie, you fail to acknowledge the Megatrain terms and conditions.

You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation.

Now, in a legal sense must seems pretty clear to me. As for refunding the odd person who goes to the media that's just good publicity. Stagecoach have not admitted anything else, said they are in the wrong or changed their terms and conditions.

Usually when it comes to what is often seen on this forum as unfair/ambiguous terms then I'm broadly in agreement with you. But the text I've highlighted (again!) in bold doesn't seem to me to be either unfair or ambiguous.

This is the contractual position and could be rigourously enforced if Stagecoach so choose. The decision not to do so in some cases doesn't change that contractual position.

Not one I'd be prepared to challenge either.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Here is a transcript of the subtitles from the one show:

19:00:23 Before that, time for our One Show consumer casefiles.
19:00:26 Usually we have Dom Littlewood in, but he's not around today, so here's Anita Rani in a bald wig.
19:00:34 Our first story tonight is about Megatrain.
19:00:36 It's a discount website which sells off empty train seats for selected routes.
19:00:38 We were contacted by Sophie Joyce from Exeter who told us how she was fined for actually taking a shorter trip than she had paid for.
19:00:52 I bought a ticket for £15 from Exeter to London so I could go on holiday with my friend.
19:00:57 When I was on the train I got off at Clapham Junction, one stop earlier, and tried to exit the train station.
19:01:08 But that they set that Clapham Junction was not a recognised destination for Megatrain.
19:01:16 I was outraged.
19:01:20 It was once stopped earlier and because I did not stay on the train I was subject to a £60 penalty fare.
19:01:31 By the time is Sophie had taking the matter to appeal and lost, the penalty fare had escalated to £124 - eight times the price of the original ticket.
19:01:44 For £124!
19:01:47 The whole time I was on that train, I had a valid ticket.
19:01:51 I will not be using that train company again.
19:01:57 I was disgusted by the way I was treated.
19:02:03 That's steep!
19:02:03 A £124 fine when the original ticket only cost £15.
19:02:06 50.
19:02:09 Yes, but we have got some good news for Sophie.
19:02:13 They have now waived the penalty fare and have even thrown in a complimentary first class ticket.
19:02:20 And they have now agreed to make their conditions of travel clearer on their website, as they accept they weren't clear enough when Sophie booked.
19:02:24 What's your advice to people who want cheap travel without the hassle?
19:02:28 Well, the most important thing is to check, check check.
19:02:29 If you're getting a cheap deal it's probably cheap for a reason.
19:02:35 There will be specific conditions attached.
19:02:43 Read the terms and conditions.
19:02:45 If you don't agree with their terms and conditions, don't spend your money with them.
19:02:55 Sometimes I do get the train but always, someone has jumped in front of it.
19:03:02 And you think, why have we stopped?
19:03:05 If you have hit somebody, just keep going.
19:03:26 Whites are you looking so shocked?
19:03:27 If you don't have complaints, there is a specific body you can complain to.
19:03:46 First, complain to the rail company.
19:03:47 Then to Passenger Focus - the Government's independent passenger watchdog for all public transport outside London.
19:03:49 In the capital, you complain to London Travelwatch.
19:03:51 They'll only take on your complaint if you've already made an official complaint.
19:04:00 Next, a story from a family who are hi-de-highly unhappy about their holiday camp experience.

cuccir

Established Member
Yet again, Yorkie, you fail to acknowledge the Megatrain terms and conditions.

You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation.

Now, in a legal sense must seems pretty clear to me. As for refunding the odd person who goes to the media that's just good publicity. Stagecoach have not admitted anything else, said they are in the wrong or changed their terms and conditions.

Usually when it comes to what is often seen on this forum as unfair/ambiguous terms then I'm broadly in agreement with you. But the text I've highlighted (again!) in bold doesn't seem to me to be either unfair or ambiguous.

This is the contractual position and could be rigourously enforced if Stagecoach so choose. The decision not to do so in some cases doesn't change that contractual position.

Not one I'd be prepared to challenge either.

I agree this has been pointed out three or four times on this thread now - the BoJ stuff is a complete red herring. He's not breaking his journey - fine. But the ticket is only valid between the two named stations.
19:02:24 What's your advice to people who want cheap travel without the hassle?
19:02:28 Well, the most important thing is to check, check check.
19:02:29 If you're getting a cheap deal it's probably cheap for a reason.
19:02:35 There will be specific conditions attached.
19:02:43 Read the terms and conditions.
19:02:45 If you don't agree with their terms and conditions, don't spend your money with them.

To be fair, these are two pretty reasonable bits of advice

19:04:00 Next, a story from a family who are hi-de-highly unhappy about their holiday camp experience.

God the One Show is terrible!

bnm

Established Member
And whilst I don't think it is warranted (seems pretty clear to me) then if Stagecoach are going to make things even clearer on the Megatrain website then so much the better. But as I've already said, I don't see any ambiguity.

They are perfectly entitled to have the Megatrain ticket terms and conditions more restrictive than the NRCoC, as, by my reading, they already do.
God the One Show is terrible!

And so is the BBC for dumping the entire episode just because of some slightly contentious remarks by Jeremy Clarkson. Said in all likelihood to provoke a reaction (that's what JC does). Oh and doesn't he have a new book and DVD out? Now why would he want to grab the headlines I wonder?

BBC. Edit JC out if you're that concerned. Don't bin the entire episode.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This whole confusion stems from different interpretations of the word journey. In the NRCoC it appears to mean travel from A to B using however many tickets and trains as the passenger wants. Break of journey is also defined as leaving a station other than to catch a train at another station, etc etc. Advance tickets and Megatrain unfortunately fall into the trap of using journey to describe their service, which might conceivably be a subset of A to B.

This is a classic case of a discrepancy between different conditions where we are told that the interpretation which benefits the customer should prevail.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
19:02:55 Sometimes I do get the train but always, someone has jumped in front of it.
19:03:02 And you think, why have we stopped?
19:03:05 If you have hit somebody, just keep going.
19:03:26 Whites are you looking so shocked?

I don't get this bit. Can someone explain what it means please.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh. I wonder if he fancies being a test dummy?

route:oxford

Established Member
For all the postings on this thread... Has anyone taken a look at the Megatrain website?

I've just gone into the website, to take a look at how the journey is presented. So you choose the originating station. In this case, "Salisbury" and then the destination station "London". Note, that's not "Waterloo" or "London Waterloo" it's just London.

The transaction then goes onto auto-complete the London destination as London Waterloo on the next page. But it's not what the customer was originally offered as a destination.

There are many pedants who'd be quite prepared to argue for hours that Clapham Junction, like Kensington Olypmia(?) isn't "London" for the convenience of the railways, but I suspect that if a consumer were to pursue the case through the courts as an unfair contract pointing out that they chose "London" from a menu and disembarked at Clapham Junction in "London" the consumer would win.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am sticking by my views earlier in the thread, but as for whether Clapham Jn is "London" or not, we know it isn't London for the purposes of a "Not London" ticket, and we know it's not a London Terminal.

But the TOCs are keen for us to believe that inner-city London stations are possible destinations that can be considered to be "London", as NXEA used to boast about the time it took from Stansted to Tottenham Hale by advertising this time as the time to "London" however the practice was banned. The TOCs are keen to say that places like Tottenham and Clapham Jn are London when it suits them ;)

Anyway, back to the issue at hand, if there is doubt over the conflicting terms of the Megatrain tickets (which we know SWT back down on anyway, as we found out from The One Show!) and the NRCoC, then fortunately there is legislation that deals with that uncertainty:

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

Written contracts
separator.gif

7. - (2) If there is doubt about the meaning of a written term, the interpretation which is most favourable to the consumer shall prevail

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992083.htm

barrykas

Established Member
Anyway, back to the issue at hand, if there is doubt over the conflicting terms of the Megatrain tickets (which we know SWT back down on anyway, as we found out from The One Show!) and the NRCoC, then fortunately there is legislation that deals with that uncertainty:

There is no doubt. Megatrain, Megabus and Megabusplus are clearly all sold as strictly point to point "tickets" and are only valid exactly as booked, and not valid for starting long or stopping short, just like any other Advance ticket.

That SWT have backed down in the past (usually following media interference) doesn't alter that fact, but as we all know, some people want to have their cake and eat it.

YMMV, of course...

Cheers,

Barry

clagmonster

Established Member
For all the postings on this thread... Has anyone taken a look at the Megatrain website?

I've just gone into the website, to take a look at how the journey is presented. So you choose the originating station. In this case, "Salisbury" and then the destination station "London". Note, that's not "Waterloo" or "London Waterloo" it's just London.

The transaction then goes onto auto-complete the London destination as London Waterloo on the next page. But it's not what the customer was originally offered as a destination.
I have. When you first make the enquiry, you do ask for London, but on the second screen, on which you select the train, it clearly states Waterloo. You then have to comfirm the journey on a third screen, which states Waterloo for the second time. Therefore, I don't think this is an issue.

Brucey

The reason for displaying London is that on some routes, there are both coach and train journeys available. These obviously end at different places, so they show only London on the selection screen.

clagmonster

Established Member
When you book Megatrain tickets, you agree to be bound by the Megatrain terms and conditions. These consist of 9 conditions which are not relevent to the debate and a 10th condition, which is that you follow the NRCoC subject to several ammendments. One of these is:
"e. You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased."
Therefore, if you hold a Megatrain booking confirmation for a Salisbury-Waterloo journey, you must travel through in order to satisfy said clause of the conditions. If you do not, you will be sold a new Salisbury-Clapham Jn ticket (note they have managed to word it in such a way so as to avoid having to sell an excess).

For the record, if it was an advance rather than a Megatrain ticket, then Yorkie I would agree with you entirely.

For reference, here are the Megatrain conditions:
http://uk.megabus.com/terms.aspx#megatrain

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do the megatrain conditions over-ride condition 19?
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.
You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).
If you do not comply with this Condition, you will be treated as having joined the train
without a ticket and the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply, either to the entire
journey, or from the last station where the train stopped at which at least one of the
tickets was valid.
For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and Britrail passes.
You see, this is where the confusing use of the word journey comes in. Megatrain use it to mean the single train journey made using the Megatrain ticket, but the NRCoC use it to mean the overall journey from origin to destination made by the passenger. The overall journey from Salisbury to Feltham is covered by a ticket from Salisbury to Waterloo and Clapham Junction to Feltham. The train from Salisbury calls at Clapham Junction, so I can't see the problem. Or at least I can see the problem that some people can see, but I think Megatrain need to change their terms and conditions to explicitly prohibit this sort of move if they wish it to be prohibited.

hantsman1205

I spoke to 2 Revenue people this morning at Basingstoke, No problem with buying the 2 tickets as stated earlier, first thing she said was, no BOJ as not leaving the station.

They both didnt think Clapham counted as London though. However Im not doing that. No need to double back either they both said

island

Veteran Member
I agree with Clagmonster. The Megatrain rules are expressed to override the NRCoC, and "you must travel between the stations booked" means exactly that. Pettifoggery over when is stopping short not stopping short is a little unbecoming, and national television shouldn't be encouraging people to weasel out of the terms they agreed to.

I'm surprised the expression "bad customer service" hasn't been thrown in yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.