• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Manchester Challenge, 11/02/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Seen as no thread has as yet been created, I may as well do it :roll:

Six teams arrived on the day:

All Line Rover; Max; yorkie
bb21; gnolife
Crossover; Lampshade; sprite
district; Ivo; MattE2010; Mojo
JoeGJ1984

[listed alphabetically]

In what was surely the closest Challenge the forum had ever known, the top four were separated by just one point. Three scored 47 points, and one scored 46 - but did put in the fastest time of the four. As such, and I hope I have this right because there was some confusion on the day (not helped by so many teams missing the 17:00 deadline), I hereby reveal that the winners of this epic event were bb21 and gnolife, fighting off stiff competition from all of the three other teams formed of more than one person. Congratulations to them - a perfect 100% record from two events.

Next up is the forum's first non-PTE/London Challenge: The Valley Lines Challenge on the 25th of this month. See you all there!

I shall provide my team report later. For district, MattE2010 and Mojo, this means let me do it or else! ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Well after over two years of planning, I started the day almost certain of victory, from the plan it was looking likely that 52 was possible. This was until I boarded the train to Manchester and realised I'd forgotten the plan. No big deal I thought, I started copying it from a sent PM onto my iPod until I realised that a service were depending on terminated at Marple as opposed to New Mills on a Saturday, which put paid to that. I had to sheepishly tell my team mates upon arrival in Manchester :oops:

I don't know whether we took anyone by surprise when we bailed suddenly at Hyde North on our first train, the 1036, but I assume everyone else on that train realised what we were doing. Some furious checking took place on the way to Hadfield until we worked out that if we caught the Marple train and got back into Manchester soon enough, we could end up with 49 points, which as it turns out would have given us victory.

Except...

We'd been relying on a three minute connection at Ashburys, and when the 1131 from Hadfield arrived into Ashburys three down, we saw the Guard of the 1117 Pacer to Marple close the doors. We'd missed it.

So back into Manchester, we see the 1223 on the boards, it's going to Rose Hill; we deduced that by catching that to Romiley, we could get a few Hope Valley stations in on the way back and still give us time to get to Stockport and back. 142090 doing the honours, we bounce and clatter our way towards Romiley - sprite's question to the Guard about where the best place to be on the train to catch a 30 second connection at Romiley being met by an unconvincing "Oh God".

Upon arrival at Romiley, the connection wasn't yet in, so we ran down the subway and across to the other platform just as the doors opened on the 1238. Time of connection: 10 seconds. Beat that! <:D

So back into Manchester yet again, and after having to purchase another GM Ranger after losing my railcard/tickets/Oyster/anything rail-related somewhere between Hadfield and the footbridge at Piccadilly, we catch the 1303 to Stockport and the 1325 back into Manchester. A sprint across to platform 2 to ask the Guard of the incoming 1340 if my railcard had been found proved unsuccessful, so we boarded the Airport stopper and after a brief encounter with JoeGJ1984 we caught the Blackpool TPE to Salford Crescent.

The Pacer Pioneer, 142001, took us to Wigan Wallgate where we met up with another team, who was on the same plan as we were from there back to Manchester, via Bolton and Horwich. So we came joint second, we were the joint best of the losers :|

Ahh well, at least we didn't alight at Hadfield and wait for the next one :lol:

After nipping into Sainsburys I boarded my first train; 156486 on the 1052 to Buxton as far as Hazel Grove before catching 156423 on the 1133 to Preston as far as Manchester Oxford Road. Then I caught a late running 185128 on the 1156 Oxford Rd - Piccadilly. I then went over to platform 2 for 323235 on the 1218 to Hadfield. After mis-reading the timetable and leaving Hadfield station to go to the shop around the corner I realized I had made a mistake and was stuck there until the 1331 to Guide Bridge (323229). Meeting Ivo, MattE2010, District & Mojo on that train. Mis-reading the timetable again I realized I had just missed the Romily train so I was stranded at Guide Bridge for half an hour(!) until the 1428 to Piccadilly. After my original plan had been f***ed up I boarded 185109 on the 1446 to Blackpool North as far as Salford Crescent (Meeting Crossover, Lampshade and sprite on it). I'll continue later. :)

Last edited:

sprite

My day started off with leaving my house at some ungodly hour (about 8:50) and walking to Piccadilly station. Got myself some lunch and other supplies for the day when at the station and then waited for people to arrive.
Met my team mates and started to try figure out what out plan was, having still not seen it.

As we set off, in contrast to the mad rush from the West Yorkshire challenge, we just made our way to board the 10:36 to Rose Hill Marple. We waited as long as we could to jump off at Hyde North to ensure we had no unwelcome followers :p. A nice saunter across Hyde lead us to join the slightly delayed 1103 to Hadfield at Flowery Field. We were surprised to see that 323235 had new PIS screens fitted (orange LED) however still had its ex FNW interior. This unit was our planning base as we travelled to Hadfield and back (on the same unit because we stayed on-board, 150222 is not going to live this one down). On the return journey, between Hadfield and Glossop we realised our connection at Ashburys would be very tight as we were still a few minutes down. This fervent discussion lead to some inquires from a member of the public who seemed slightly bemused, but very interested in the challenge and wished us the best of luck. As we arrived at Ashburys and the doors got released, we could see the guard of the pacer opposite starting his dispatch procedure, so we stayed on back to Piccadilly.

At Piccadilly we saw a DRS 37 being hooked up to a piece of OTP in the siding next to platform 1, this was here most of the day, but would disappear later (with the OTP still being there alone, as it was when we initially set off). Here we boarded 142090 to Romiley. As the guard was making his rounds, I enqured which end of the unit was best to alight from for the fastest possible platform change at Romiley, the answer was “Oh God, the front” . This advice worked in our favour, and we managed to hop off the train, down 2 sets of stairs, through an underpass and back up the stairs at the next platform just as 142033 was pulling in. As we made it to the doors, they opened. 10 second transfer roughly! We then returned to Piccadilly yet again, this time to board 323239 as far as Stockport.

Whilst at Stockport I was about to get my first ever ride on a Pendo, when a pair of EMT 158's (158812+158780) turned up with a last minute platform change headed back to Manchester, so onto these we climbed. At Piccadilly, Crossover headed to platform 9 to await our next service, whilst me and Lampshade ran back to platform 2 to await the arrival of 323235 and hopefully his railcard and ticket home (he had repurchased the rover), this was however a fruitless effort as the guard did not have it and a walk through of the train was not successful. On this walk through we were greeted with a flooded centre carriage as the loo had flooded, this was not the case earlier! Following this we boarded our 3rd 323 (323234) for the journey to the airport. 323234 has roller blind destination screens and also a refreshed interior.

I will add more later, especially when I remember exactly who we met on trains and when, aswell as when I have uploaded a picture of the refreshed 323 interior.

Ivo

Established Member
Having failed to fall asleep until somewhere in the region of 0130 the night before, I woke up at barely 0500 without the help of my two alarms (which were both set for 0530) and was ready to go. So I stepped out at 0542 into the open with the ambient temperature at -9° - the coldest I had ever known outside of controlled circumstances - and began the long 4¼-hour trek to Manchester. Of course, as regulars will know I don't get bothered by the cold, and the walk to the bus stop was seemingly easier than usual as well. It didn't take long for something to fall out of line though as the 0608 bus to Bristol appeared at 0603! Just as well I had planned to arrive so early or I wouldn't have been travelling north at all yesterday!

At Bristol Temple Meads I made the easy decision to buy myself some food for the three-hour Vomiter trip, but not before some shenanigans in the ticket office as I had to recite the exact code for Stockport and also the exact code for the System One Daysaver TM. (The numbers 2771 and H022 are now permanently imprinted on my brain.)

The Vomiter started up at roughly 0650 and we were on our way at 0700. It was surprisingly quiet out of Bristol, but picked up a bit at Parkway as a series of football fans proving the old adage that everyone in the South-West supports Manchester United joined the train, with two of them sitting at the table opposite and going on to drink and swear and drink some more - and, for one of them, seemingly find a way to enjoy himself without assistance :? Annoyingly the Train Manager didn't come along until after Cheltenham, when I had a ticket that was a bit on the awkward side, but he was more than happy to accept it.

We soon arrived in Birmingham where the slow-starting district and Mojo joined me. We spent the next 90 minutes talking about various past meets, how they had been managing together, and more, with district occasionally noting (via text messages) the antics of the football fans opposite. Otherwise the trip was pretty boring, but they were very appreciative of the help we gave them - even before the lovebirds arrived...

Into Piccadilly four minutes late and we split up for a bit. I joined up with MattE2010 and the other pre-1000 arrivals, and everyone else slowly filtered in. We briefly left the main group to claim a series of timetables following a list I had printed off, noting the non-availability of a couple, and rejoined the others.

Finally, 1028 arrived and we moved over to the departure boards - and waited. 3, 2, 1...

Go! 1030 was upon us, and... I think we all must have set a record for the most relaxed start to a Challenge in RailUK history. After a very casual walk, no less than three teams boarded the 142-operated 1036 service to Rose Hill Marple, with JoeGJ1984 in the front car and Crossover, Lampshade, sprite and my team in the rear car, and thus began an interesting conversation about all manner of things, until finally Lampshade and co. suddenly abandoned us without warning at Hyde North, presumably bound for Flowery Field. And speaking of Hyde, I couldn't help but feel that its name was appropriate - referring to a well-known novel, it really was a Hyde...

Into Romiley, and - disaster. The 1111 service had been delayed by three minutes. And then four. Then seven. Then eight. Then ten... The 142 finally arrived at 1121, but not before our youngest member (district) messed around with the Help Point - and complained about the cold. Later, he would try role-playing as various members of railway staff, and kept asking for our tickets...

With our +6 at Piccadilly ruined, my idea of heading to Stockport and back was all-but doomed, and sure enough we passed the 323 bound for Alderley Edge near Ardwick Junction. Thus we needed a new plan of attack, and it came in the form of brigning our next journey forward - the stopper to Heald Green. Only, in this case, we went right through to the Airport, and to both my and district's displeasure we faced a 323 in both directions, stopping everywhere; technically however district was disappointed because we didn't get a 185, not because we got a 323 as was true of me (more on that later). Down to the very impressive looking Manchester Airport station, passing over the near-completion Metrolink route to East Didsbury en route, and noting how the football specials were running as stoppers from the Airport, perhaps explaining why the reverse direciton was sometimes operating from the island Platform 13. Nonetheless, this dire journey passed by, and we were back on track - but down two points.

After that, it was on to Hadfield, where things got interesting. Persplex station signs, run-down suburbs and more came by, as did the magnificent Dinting Viaduct, but this first leg was more notable for the discussions on this journey. We talked about all manner of things, including OpenTTD, school, the recent forum problems - and something beginning with "s" and ending in "x" that has only one letter in it (which is not "i"). Matt looked on with a vague interest as we debated about whether an all-girl intimate relationship can be considered a full-on intimate relationship, igniting an argument as old as the practice itself. So imagine how district and Mojo felt when the tables were turned out them and I used my hands to illustrate how an all-girl session works! (That's what you get for spending half the day kissing ;))

Finally, we arrived at Hadfield, and 150222 came along. Three 16-year-old Challengers in the same place? No way! :p Otherwise, this journey was not nearly as interesting, and certainly not as graphic, with 150222 leaving us at Guide Bridge and us arriving into Piccadilly early, resulting in a +11 connection there. district was still disappointed about his lack of TransPennine Express as we made our wasy out to the island once more, only to find an unknown Desiro bound for Edinburgh stationed and ready! Without so much as a care we boarded the 185 and soon set off...

Oxford Road was fairly quiet as we stepped off the Pennine Class 185. We had apparoximately six minutes to kill here whilst waiting for our official train from Piccadilly (which we recorded as being from Piccadilly, given the exceptional circumstances involving the 185), which soon rolled in as a double-formed 142. We stepped on and made the short journey to Salford Crescent, where yet another 142 would take us to Wigan, via Bolton. We came up with a little Geography game on the journey, trying to pinpoint where various stations were, and we were left stunned as Matt pretty much wiped the floor with everyone. Indeed, on more than one occasion he even said he would leave the question for someone else! Talk about confidence/cockiness! I thought I was good...

Into Wigan four minutes early, we made a stop for some food at a nearby takeaway. That was a good dinner! :p Next was a 142 to Appley Bridge, and the distance we had to cover to get from one platform to the other was immense! Matt even suggested that he would have preferred a +2 at Piccadilly (an obvious reference to the multiple +2s we had been facing until literally the day before) than at Appley Bridge, so it was just as well we had a +13. district tried another role play here, again trying a ticket inspection (and calling me rude for trying to sneak past him), as we waited in the badly run-down Appley Bridge station area, until a 142+150 pair rolled along. It was suggested we board the 150 (district was bored of Pacers by now), but this journey was more known for a rare super-smile from me as I saw the scoreline "Everton 1-0 Chelsea" (:D). The train seemed fairly quiet, but not overly so, so why a four-car service...?

Instead, on arrival at Wigan Wallgate virtually everyone else on the Challenge got on the train we had just got off! After a couple of gestures towards yorkie and others, we watched as the combination left, and thus we waited. We soon noted that JoeGJ1984 was also on the platform, seemingly to finish his day the same way we were, and before long a 150 turned up. This would score ten more points for us, culminating at Victoria, and we just watched with less discussion as we got closer to the finale.

Eventually, we arrived into Victoria two minutes early, at the ridiculously early 16:41, but with no alternative for any final points we ended there, somewhat confident but not overly so. Instead, we starting talking to an official at Victoria and mentioned various facts and stories about the formerly massive station (including the legend of the station's undercroft, involving a certain Pacer cab), which district cheekily asked for a tour of! bb21 and gnolife soon joined us, with five minutes to spare, and so the wait began for the remaining teams.

But 17:00 came and went.

Finally, everyone was together again, and the comparisons began. After much deliberation, and a rules clarification from Max, it was eventually agreed that the winners were bb21 and gnolife with 47. Two other teams also scored 47, while we scored 46 (but finished much earlier). Thus we had what was surely the tighest finish in Challenge history...

I soon split from the others and led JoeGJ1984 on a tram tour of the south. First, we went to Piccadilly Gardens, then Eccles, then Cornbrook (via MediaCity), and then Altrincham - where we arrived 12 minutes ahead of plan and thus had the chance to travel down to Hale. Finally was the long 156 journey to Stockport, where we would go our separate ways - and with that, my day was seemingly over.

Only, when my Vomiter reached Wolverhampton, trouble hit again as we were held at North Junction for no obvious reason! I had been planning to change to a Pendo but knew it was ill-advised and bailed out; instead, I was now fearful of the same train! It was due out at 20:45 - and if it was given the clear route ahead of us, my connection onto the last Bristol train of the night was in peril!

Fortunately, we were let out ahead of it, and I sought the Train Manager (on Mojo's advice), asking for some assistance. Said assistance was later proved unnecessary after what was surely the fastest journey I had ever made between the two West Midlands conurbation cities. Further, the Train Manager south of Birmingham didn't seem bothered about my ambigious ticket either...!

I finally returned to my room at 00:02. In the end I was out for precisely 1,100 minutes and accumulated almost 500 miles - and was I tired...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
My day started at 7.00, as do most weekends! I got the 0741 to Blackburn, then the 0803 to Victoria. This was followed by breakfast at MaccyD's, in the freezing cold and lonely outlet outside the MEN Arena. I was then asked by G4S for a ticket as I left MCV via the MEN Arena Entrance :shock:. A 'free' trip (as part of the GMRR) by Metrolink followed to Piccadilly Gardens, then a further one followed to Piccadilly. 45 minutes here was killed by a browse of Ian Allen's and various shops for food and stuff for the challenge. Then as Ivo reports. I left MCV on the 2000 back to BBN, full of the general mix of chavs and normal people who use such a service. On our arrival into Blackburn, it was announced that the power at the station had totally failed, hence it was in darkness. A quick walk around the station followed to take in this rarity: the island and p4 were in absolute darkness, you literally couldn't see more than a couple of yards ahead of you. Downstairs in the subway three blokes were stood there with torches, and shone them in front of where you were walking. Quite a nice end to a great day!

A nice saunter across Hyde lead us to join the slightly delayed 1103 to Hadfield at Flowery Field.

Saunter? You legged it up that path at Hyde North! :P

gnolife

Established Member
A nice saunter across Hyde lead us to join the slightly delayed 1103 to Hadfield at Flowery Field.
That makes a nice change - the only times I usually hear 'Hyde' and 'nice' in the same sentence is with the word 'not'

My day started at 8:15, with my phone claiming it was 9:00, causing me to panic and rush out of the house just in time to see a bus, the 08:22 Arriva NW route 18 to Altrincham via Airport, go past my front door. Chased it through Wythenshawe to the Forum (where I only made it because it has to go to the Bus Station first), and bought my ticket (well, bb21's ticket) for the day - a S1 Bus and Train saver. The bus left me at the bus station at 8:29, where I realised my error, but by this time there was very little I could do about it. I caught the 9:03 Northern service to Southport (156452 - a unit that would come up again later in the day), which left me at Piccadilly at 9:20, where I made my way straight down to the concourse, where I made a quick phone call to bb21 to make sure that he hadn't already bought a ticket (I'd run out of credit on my mobile). I then realised that I didn't actually know where we were meeting, so just wandered around aimlessly waiting for someone I recognised to turn up. Most people had arrived by 1005, but we were stuck waiting on Yorkie, who wandered in at about 1020.

Once the challenge actually started, my team went straight over to platform 5 to take the 10:38 Northern service bound for Alderley Edge, which was formed of 142012, one of the bus-seat pacers, despite the fact that its fully electrified. This was caused by the Man U - Liverpool match stealing the 323 that would normally be on this service. The guard changed the destination blind from Manchester Piccadilly, all the way through places like Lincoln, Hull and Beverley, before changing his mind, and changing it back to Piccadilly. Yorkie, Max and All Line Rover were also on this service with us, and we all bailed at Cheadle Hulme at 10:57 (two mins late). This ate into a connection with the 11:02 Stagecoach route 369 (19271, an Enviro400 which stunk of vomit), bound for the Airport, which Yorkie's team also came with for, and we all got off at Heald Green Hotel (apart from 1 member of their team, who decided to be different and get off at Heald Green Shops). We had a very comfortable 8 minute connection onto the 11:20 Northern service to Manchester United Halt (323231), which arrived at Piccadilly at 11:44 (2 late), on 14, meaning that we had to fight through the hordes of United fans that were waiting on the platform, which meant we were cutting it very fine for our connection onto the 11:48 Hadfield service.
Yet again, Yorkie's team was on the same train as we were out of Piccadilly, which left one min late (323233). It was on this train that we split, with me and bb21 alighting at Gorton at 11:54 (on time), and them staying on a bit further than us. We caught the 12:01 Manchester Picc service (323235), which arrived 4 mins late. We were planning on alighting at Ashburys, but the delays to the service meant that we got to watch the watch our connection leave (the 12:07 to Marple [Bridge]), so we had to very quickly sort out a new plan. The train we were on arrived at Man Picc at 12:12 (on time).
Our new plan had us take the 11:22 Southport service (142043, another bus seated, which left 4 mins late because of delays to the service before, the 11:16 Edinburgh) from Platform 14 (now without United fans) to Salford Crescent, arriving 12:36 (2 late). We changed onto the 12:40 service to Wigan Wallgate via Bolton (142051, a Miserytravel seated pacer, on time)
where we were surprised by the amount of snow on the sidings south of Bolton. We arrived at Wigan Wallgate at 13:11, one min early, giving us enough time to stop and get lunch, before heading out again on the 13:24 service to Southport (156452, on time), on which I made the mistake of picking up my rubbish instead of my bag and coat when we alighted at Appley Bridge (on time). We weren't expecting the crossover between platforms to be as long as it was, but we had a very comfortable 13 minute connection for our next service. Choosing not to take a bus to Marylebone, we went for the 13:45 service to Manchester Airport (150140, 1 late), the driver of which seemed to be very laid back, casually leaning on the window when we arrived at Wigan Wallgate, also a minute late at 13:54. We changed there onto the 13:58 service to Man Victoria via Atherton (150273, On time), where we went all the way to Victoria, trying to decide what we would do on arrival - we were considering going to Stalybridge, then taking a bus to Glossop or Hadfield, but decided that it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
We got to Victoria at 14:41, and made our way to Piccadilly, taking the Metrolink (1019) all the way to the station, where we caught the 15:03 service to Marple [Bridge] via Reddish North (142003, yet another bus seated pacer), which we took to Romiley, arriving 15:25 (2 late). This gave us another generous connection (although not good enough to give us time to go pub and get a pint) onto the 15:35 service to Manchester Piccadilly via Hyde (142044, a Miserytravel seater, on time), which we took to Guide Bridge, arriving 15:48. This was another station where crossing between platforms takes a stupidly long route (Is there something about 'XYZ Bridge' and making cross platform changes difficult?). We had time to spare to make it onto the 15:58 service to Hadfield (323229, on time), which we took to Broadbottom (that must be such an embarrassing place to say you live in), arrivng 16:09 (on time). Another easy connection (although I did manage to trip myself up while going up the stairs to the footbridge) onto the 16:16 service to Manchester Picc (323235 <( , on time), arriving at Man Piccadilly at 16:42 (on time). This gave us 18 minutes to get back to Victoria, which we did by taking an Eccles metrolink (1025) to Piccadilly Gardens, then walking through Market Street and up Corporation Street back, getting there with 5 mins to spare. We found Ivo, District, Mojo and MattE2010 already there, and talking to a member of the staff near the Platform 3-6 gateline.
The 5 minutes that we arrived early by turned out to be crucial, with us winning with 47 points, because several teams having incurred a 2 station penalty due to late arrival.

Last edited:

After nipping into Sainsburys I boarded my first train; 156486 on the 1052 to Buxton as far as Hazel Grove before catching 156423 on the 1133 to Preston as far as Manchester Oxford Road. Then I caught a late running 185128 on the 1156 Oxford Rd - Piccadilly. I then went over to platform 2 for 323235 on the 1218 to Hadfield. After mis-reading the timetable and leaving Hadfield station to go to the shop around the corner I realized I had made a mistake and was stuck there until the 1331 to Guide Bridge (323229). Meeting Ivo, MattE2010, District & Mojo on that train. Mis-reading the timetable again I realized I had just missed the Romily train so I was stranded at Guide Bridge for half an hour(!) until the 1428 to Piccadilly. After my original plan had been f***ed up I boarded 185109 on the 1446 to Blackpool North as far as Salford Crescent (Meeting Crossover, Lampshade and sprite on it).

(Continued)

After alighting the 185109 at Salford Crescent I had a near 20 minute wait for the 1513 to Wigan. During my wait my day was made when 150222 (the train) rolled in on a Hazel Grove service. Unfortunatey I couldn't take a ride and after refusing sprite's kind offer of a picture with it I then saw 142001's 'Devon' sticker when it stopped on a Victoria bound service. Eventually 150273 arrived with the 1513 to Wigan Wallgate via Bolton. After leaving the train at Wigan to buy a bottle of lemonade I caught the same unit on the 1620 to Victoria. I had a problem in that this train arrived at Victoria at 1706. Six minutes after the finish time! (Not that it really mattered at this stage after my mishaps at Hadfield and Guide Bridge.) Fortunately most of the other competitors joined the train at Bolton after their trip to Horwich. So after somebodys vomit was stamped all over the train many of us arrived at Victoria at 1706. I of course lost.

(Continued)

The stations I got were: Manchester Piccadilly, Levenshulme, Heaton Chapel, Stockport, Davenport, Woodsmoor, Hazel Grove, Manchester Oxford Road, Ashburys, Gorton, Guide Bridge, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley, Broadbottom, Dinting, Glossop, Hadfield, Deansgate G-MEX, Salford Crescent, Bolton, Westhoughton, Hindly, Wigan Wallgate, Moses Gate, Farnworth, Kearsley, Salford Central & Manchester Victoria.
Total: 30 -2 for the 6 minute delay in arrival.

Official score: 28.

I was disapointed with losing however I did expect it. All in all not a bad day and I really enjoyed meeting you all and I look forward to attending future meets. Maybe next time I'll pay more attention when planning. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Crossover

Established Member
I think my teammates have covered the majority of the day already and can't really think of much to add at the moment.

May upload a pic or two later and anything I have missed.

As I'm sure the others will say, it was a fantastic day out on the whole, and we were very lucky with the weather.

The only thing that concerns me though is that I am becoming more and more used to the 142's and actually enjoying travelling on them a bit :shock:
The ex FGW 142001 probably had one of the best interiors of the lot, though I do have to wonder how long it will stay that way!

One random thing that happened (aside from the guard on the Romiley train incident) was being asked by one of the guards whether we were plane spotters :s

My day started off with leaving my house at some ungodly hour (about 8:50)

Still later than I left home :P

Finally, 1028 arrived and we moved over to the departure boards - and waited. 3, 2, 1...

Go! 1030 was upon us, and... I think we all must have set a record for the most relaxed start to a Challenge in RailUK history.

It was a great start to the day :D

We talked about all manner of things, including OpenTTD, school, the recent forum problems - and something beginning with "s" and ending in "x" that has only one letter in it (which is not "i").

Sax? Didn't know you were such an avid musician, Ivo...:P

Saunter? You legged it up that path at Hyde North! :P

That was just to confuse you :P
We didn't need to rush across Hyde, and even then we had ample time to wait at the station (where the boards weren't working!)

Also, it was rather difficult to leg it up the path, it was quite frozen and slippery!

Crossover

Established Member
(Continued)

The stations I got were: Manchester Piccadilly, Levenshulme, Heaton Chapel, Stockport, Davenport, Woodsmoor, Hazel Grove, Manchester Oxford Road, Ashburys, Gorton, Guide Bridge, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley, Broadbottom, Dinting, Glossop, Hadfield, Deansgate G-MEX, Salford Crescent, Bolton, Westhoughton, Hindly, Wigan Wallgate, Moses Gate, Farnworth, Kearsley, Salford Central & Manchester Victoria.
Total: 30 -2 for the 6 minute delay in arrival.

Official score: 28.

I was disapointed with losing however I did expect it. All in all not a bad day and I really enjoyed meeting you all and I look forward to attending future meets. Maybe next time I'll pay more attention when planning. :)

Technically, it was 27 if you didn't visit Victoria before we arrived back since that arrival was after 5pm (Salford Central was OK as we arrived there at 16:59:50 :D) - not that I guess it matters too much in the grand scheme of things :P

Ivo

Established Member
Every time something goes wrong for me on these things the offending journey is always the second one! <(

I could list all the stations we got, but that would be pointless. Instead, I will say that we lost Levenshulme, Heaton Chapel and Stockport, but gained Manchester Airport. You may also have noticed that we made one "unofficial" journey, on a 185 (whose number we forgot to check). Given it covered only Piccadilly to Oxford Road though, we treated the next journey as having started at Piccadilly instead.

Sax? Didn't know you were such an avid musician, Ivo...:P

Saxo-mo-phone... Saxo-mo-phone...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
(gnolife has already given his account of the event, however I got bored at work today so have already written this report when I logged on.)

I stayed overnight at Sheffield and made my way into Manchester on the 0842 Liverpool service, formed of EMT's 158847. As I found out later in the day, that was the same train Max caught, and we even travelled in the same carriage! Just how we didn't manage to spot each other is anyone's guess.

At the meeting point, gnolife revealed that he'd looked into the original plan we had, which comprised of 48 stations and one very dodgy +1 connection onto the local bus at Hadfield. I had prior passed the connection as doable because there appeared to be 3 minutes' padding into Hadfield and the bus stop was about 100 yards from the platform.. He said he had come up with a better plan, scoring a potential 50 points without the need for +1 or +2 connections. Without hesitation, I decided to go with that plan.

1030 came and the crowd dispersed. Just as we made our way to Platform 5 for the 1038 Alderley Edge service with Max and yorkie, we realised that we'd lost All Line Rover. Thankfully it was quick to get hold of him on the phone and both teams promptly made the service without issue. Both our teams had identical starts - getting off the train at Cheadle Hulme and transferring by bus for a 10-minute hop to Heald Green station, where we would join the Manu Halt special back to Piccadilly. Just as we were all charging down the road, Max surprisingly fast and ahead with gnolife and I in the middle and the others bringing up the rear, past the final roundabout before the bus stop, we noticed the bus coming up about 50 yards towards the roundabout. Perfect timing!

After being held behind a late-running EMT service, the +7 connection onto the Hadfield train from Platform 14 to Platform 2 at Piccadilly shrunk to +4. On top of that, the whole of Platform 14 seemed to be inhibited by a sea of beer guts wrapped in red and I was determined to shove them out of my way if they refuse to get out themselves. At the top of the bridge, I was told off by G4S staff for running in the station. Well I guess it has to happen somewhere during a challenge. ;)

We left Max, et al. onboard 323233 at Gorton where we originally intended to travel back to Ashburys for a +3 connection onto the Marple train. As has already been pointed out above, a 4-minute delay meant that the Marple train received its despatch orders just as we pulled into Ashburys on 323235. Having noticed that that particular unit (323235) was running late while we were sat idle at Ashburys earlier on 323233, I should have made the decision to forfeit Gorton. I was really kicking myself when I realised that the connection was lost, but as they say, it's only a game after all.

So we went back to Piccadilly, where sprite, et al. alighted the same unit, to our surprise. A brief hello and we headed back to Platform 14 for an attempt at reversing our itinerary and going to Wigan first.

The connections we had after that were all in excess of +7 which afforded us some room to accommodate small delays. Firstly the semi-fast to Southport, which we used to Salford Crescent, was held behind an Edinburgh TPE that was running 7 minutes late, accumulating some delays itself, but the stopper to Wigan Wallgate after that was surprisingly punctual. With an 11-minute gap at Wallgate, gnolife and I both managed to grab some food just outside the station.

We made the detour to Appley Bridge, where, as Ivo commented above, changing platforms was like taking a road-trip (although as we found out later it was not the worst yet), then came back to Wallgate for a stopper via Swinton back to Victoria, arriving 1443.

A short hop across town and we were on the 1503 Marple train to Romiley, in order to complete the loop which we missed the connection for earlier. Having been to the station before and knowing the layout there, I was more than happy to have a connection that was more than a couple of minutes. 142044 brought us back to Guide Bridge, where the length of the route used to simply change platforms overshadows the one even at Appley Bridge. By then we had insufficient time left to go all the way out to Hadfield so simply had to turn around at Broadbottom and double-back to Piccadilly, arriving 1642, for a grand total of 47, two less than what we might have achieved had I decided to bail at Ashburys earlier. However as we said during the walk back to Victoria, there seemed to be many minor delays everywhere during the course of the day and it would probably have been very difficult for someone to achieve 50, or even 49. I was happy at the prospect of losing by only one station, having messed up big time at the beginning. However there was always hope that we could win on time, if lucky enough, as we did at the West Yorkshire Challenge in August.

We found Ivo, et al. at Victoria at 1655 and I was surprised to find that several teams were planning on running late and being hit with penalty stations. After the very last contestant turned up past the barrier at 17:04:50, two teams declared 48. Nevertheless in a twist of fate, it was found out that their scheduled arrival time into Victoria was not until 1706, thereby incurring two penalty stations instead of one. After much deliberation Max declared that we won on time with three teams all tied on 47 stations.

Victory on a technicality, as I would call it.

Itinerary in full:

Code:
NT  2K26    142012   Manchester Piccadilly 1038 (0) - Cheadle Hulme 1055 (+2)
Bus 369     19271    Albert Road 1102 (0) - Heald Green Hotel 1112 (-1)
NT  2A85    323231   Heald Green 1120 (+1) - Manchester Piccadilly 1141 (+3)
NT  2H72    323233   Manchester Piccadilly 1148 (+1) - Gorton 1154 (0)
NT  2H73    323235   Gorton 1201 (+4) - Manchester Piccadilly 1212 (0)
NT  2F89    142043   Manchester Piccadilly 1222 (+4) - Salford Crescent 1233 (+2)
NT  2F81    142051   Salford Crescent 1240 (0) - Wigan Wallgate 1313 (-1)
NT  2F77    156452   Wigan Wallgate 1324 (0) - Appley Bridge 1332 (+1)
NT  2A14    150140   Appley Bridge 1345 (+1) - Wigan Wallgate 1351 (+1)
NT  2J78    150273   Wigan Wallgate 1358 (0) - Manchester Victoria 1443 (-2)
Metrolink   1019     Manchester Victoria 1447 - Manchester Piccadilly 1455
NT  2H60    142003   Manchester Piccadilly 1503 (0) - Romiley 1523 (+2)
NT  2H55    142044   Romiley 1535 (0) - Guide Bridge 1548 (0)
NT  2H78    323229   Guide Bridge 1558 (0) - Broadbottom 1609 (+1)
NT  2H71    323235   Broadbottom 1616 (+1) - Manchester Piccadilly 1642 (0)
Metrolink   1025     Manchester Piccadilly 1644 - Piccadilly Gardens 1646
Walk        Piccadilly Gardens 1646 - Manchester Victoria 1655

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Sod it. Here's our ultimate route for the day:

Code:
MAN 1036 (±0) - (+1) 1100 RML
RML 1121 (10) - (+9) 1141 MAN
MAN 1147 (±0) - (+4) 1211 MIA
MIA 1217 (±0) - (-1) 1241 MAN
MAN 1249 (+1) - (-1) 1328 HDF
HDF 1331 (±0) - (-1) 1411 MAN
MAN 1422 (±0) - (-1) 1432 SLD*
SLD 1440 (±0) - (-4) 1509 WGW
WGW 1524 (±0) - (±0) 1533 APB
APB 1545 (±0) - (+1) 1552 WGW
WGW 1559 (+1) - (-2) 1641 MCV

* Note the previous point about TPE 185s. This journey was actually taken from MCO, but was recorded as though it had been taken from MAN.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, after having been stuck on them for so long again, and having endured my most gutless journey on one to date in doing so, I hereby resume my hatred of 323s. I am thankful that they never venture any closer to here than Redditch...

...although at present maybe it would be a good thing if they did because they would be stranded without the OHLE to supply them! :p

Crossover

Established Member
Also, after having been stuck on them for so long again, and having endured my most gutless journey on one to date in doing so, I hereby resume my hatred of 323s. I am thankful that they never venture any closer to here than Redditch...

...although at present maybe it would be a good thing if they did because they would be stranded without the OHLE to supply them! :p

We did think about you when we were on a few 323's on our journey. Why don't you like them? They are great units!!!

We also did wonder (well, sprite mentioned it) how far it would get, pan down, towards Denton :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
We did think about you when we were on a few 323's on our journey. Why don't you like them? They are great units!!!

Not this again :roll:

I think there's a thread somewhere. If I can't find it wthin a few minutes I'll explain; if I can, I'll send you a link.
Here you go! Good/bad points about class 323s

Ouch; I thought Crossover asked that by PM! How stupid can a person be...?

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
Ahh come on, 323s aren't bad, 323234's interior is better than some much newer stuff.

The seat handles could do with fixing down a bit more securely in some units though :lol:

gnolife

Established Member
Ivo, if you were given a choice between a 323 and a Miserytravel pacer, which would you take?

Ivo

Established Member
Ivo, if you were given a choice between a 323 and a Miserytravel pacer, which would you take?

I have two answers to this question. If the seats on the Pacer with no seats in front of them are available, or there is enough capacity for me to sit sideways, I would sit on the Pacer. If neither of these seating arrangements is possible, I will stand instead.

But either way, the Pacer wins. Without fail.
Ahh come on, 323s aren't bad, 323234's interior is better than some much newer stuff.

The seat handles could do with fixing down a bit more securely in some units though :lol:

Seat handles? What about the seat cushions?! You can quite literally take them out and stack them atop one-another!

Technically, it was 27 if you didn't visit Victoria before we arrived back since that arrival was after 5pm (Salford Central was OK as we arrived there at 16:59:50 :D) - not that I guess it matters too much in the grand scheme of things :P

Which surely must be the worst score in the history of one of these challenges! :)

Crossover

Established Member
Which surely must be the worst score in the history of one of these challenges! :)

I think there was a score lower than that at the West Yorkshire (I thought you were supposed to be there :P) so I doubt it :)

I will try and upload a picture or two and more info but it'll be md next week probably :)

I think there was a score lower than that at the West Yorkshire (I thought you were supposed to be there :P) so I doubt it :)

I will try and upload a picture or two and more info but it'll be md next week probably :)

I never said I was coming to WY! I'd have liked to but I was on holiday at the time. :)

Ivo

Established Member

No chance. I've known 23 before now, and I've also known a disqualification - because the people turned up at the start without any of us knowing who they were and didn't show their faces again!

See here for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.