• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Calais fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
National Fares Manual NFM 11 CD shows:

Shepperton - Calais route Stena P&O
Adult
Anytime Day Return (SDR) £56.30.

Child
No fares available.

Network Railcard
No fares available.

'The Manual' says otherwise.

Normal conditions apply to all Railcard holders e.g. Network Railcard holders - maximum 4 adults travelling together; Family & Friends Railcard holders must be accompanied by a child and so on. The normal Monday to Friday morning peak travel restrictions on the use of certain railcards (e.g. Network Railcards not before 10:00) are waived in respect of Railcard holders (and any accompanying children) travelling on these day trips. A first class supplement is only available to Gold Card holders and that is only at weekends.

junglejames

Established Member
I didn't find the Pride of Kent too bad. Could have been worse, could have been the Pride of Burgundy :rolleyes:

I was getting mainly at the fact my brother works on there:lol:

Pride of Kent is average. Bit boring for me. To be fair, Dover- Calais died the day the Pride of Provence left.:cry:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for checking out the fares from Shepperton to Calais, wow, they are alot more expensive than I thought they would be, oh well, never mind, but thanks anyway.

John @ home

Established Member
Thank you for checking out the fares from Shepperton to Calais, wow, they are a lot more expensive than I thought they would be
Rather less if you split.

EDIT Sorry, some incorrect prices appear here due to inadvertent use of an out-of-date Fares Manual. For correct prices, see post #129.

Adult

Shepperton - London Terminals
Adult
SDR £12.90.
London Terminals - Calais route Stena P&O
Adult
SDR £27.50.
Total £40.40
Given bnm's quotation above from The Manual, that is reduced on a Saturday with a Network Railcard to:
Network Railcard
Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) £6.65.

Network Railcard
SDR £18.15.
Total £25.80

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
To be fair, Dover- Calais died the day the Pride of Provence left.:cry:

Now scrapped on the beach in Alang! Seems a bit premature, surely some use could be found for her? However, with Greece in it's dire financial state, it's no wonder that some of these ships that would have found work over there just end up in Alang. :(

(Have we gone off topic enough yet?! :p )

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Rather less if you split.
Given bnm's quotation above from The Manual, that is reduced on a Saturday with a Network Railcard to:

Many tks for this John @ Home, for comment 126. That sounds a much better price, i'll give it a go. Rgds.

John @ home

Established Member
That sounds a much better price
Unfortunately, not an accurate price! It seems I used an out-of-date fares manual in error. Sorry.

Current prices are:
Adult

Adult
SDR £14.60 or Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) £11.50.
Adult
SDR £36.00.
Total £50.60 or £47.50
Railcard
Anytime Day Return (SDR) £37.15.

Railcard
SDR £9.65 or CDR £7.60.
Railcard
SDR £23.75.
Total £33.40 or £31.35

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Unfortunately, not an accurate price! It seems I used an out-of-date fares manual in error. Sorry.

Current prices are:

Don't worry, I won't hold you to those fares, infact according to SWT website the CDR rtn with NSE card discount is about GBP 6.65 so that's not too bad infact. Rgds Steve.

calc7

Established Member
Do any of the booking sites show Calais itineraries (from London Terminals)? If so, what is the NLC?

Failing this, would anybody be kind enough to supply the itineraries for the earliest couple and latest couple of trains to/from London <--> Calais on Bank Holiday Monday, 7th May, and details (by PM if wished) of booking offices that are happy to sell them? Thanks. :D

wintonian

Established Member
Do any of the booking sites show Calais itineraries (from London Terminals)? If so, what is the NLC?

Failing this, would anybody be kind enough to supply the itineraries for the earliest couple and latest couple of trains to/from London <--> Calais on Bank Holiday Monday, 7th May, and details (by PM if wished) of booking offices that are happy to sell them? Thanks. :D
Destination code is H426

I have not yet found a booking engine that recognises Calais or H426 as a destination.

If you go back towards the beginning of this thread you will find my thoughts on the best places to try and some other peoples successes stories.

To find the earliest way and latest way to get to/ from London to/ from Calais try this;

Firstly find the first train to Dover add at least 1 hour preferably 1.5 hours for the bus and checking and then see if there is a subtile ferry if not rinse and repeat or try looking at the ferry timetable first. 2, do the same for the return.

There is no majc journey planner that I know off that will do the through journey. ;)

calc7

Established Member
Thanks wintonian, less easy than I thought but doable.

I see you've been on such a trip - could you quickly detail the buying process and the "control tickets"/reservations that need to be made at point of sale? :)

wintonian

Established Member
This thread should help.

Regarding control tickets, you are unlikely to be given any and TBH its hard enough trying to find someone with the skill or inclination to issue the tickets in the first place so I wouldn't push the point, prehaps politely mention if you need any, still I doubt you will get any which will upset them at the desk in Calais when you return and they will moan to you about it but thats their problem with ATOC not yours so they will photocopy grudgingly photocopy your ticket instead.

Technically I think one is needed for both ferry crossings but I never got asked for one going out.

deoiub

What is the current views on if this ticket remains valid on the High Speed train, in light of this post:

For reference, the page relating to the Calais ticket in "The Manual" was updated on February 14th. The "Tickets" section now states:

There's no mention of the ticket on either the Southeastern or National Rail sites, however.

Cheers,

Barry

I am considering doing this trip on this coming Saturday. I stopped by Charing Cross station this past weekend and asked about the ticket, and the ticket agent knew about the ticket and told me it was available without even looking on his computer. When I asked the price, he entered the info into his terminal and showed me the price. When I followed that up to ask if it was valid on the High Speed train he said it wasn't. I then asked if I could pay a supplement to make it valid on the High Speed train, and he said I couldn't.

So 2 things.

1.) Is he just saying it isn't valid on HS1, because they have always tried to deter it's use, or have there actually been some published rule changes to the public?

2.) Assuming it isn't valid on HS1, shouldn't I be allowed to pay some supplement (as per the post below) to make it valid for HS1.

The quote is from the SouthEastern pricing manager! Made 08/11/2011.
Passengers who have already bought a non High Speed ticket can upgrade before departure by purchasing a supplement relevant to the journey that they are making on High Speed services (for issuing supplements see table below click here). Please note that upgrades for daily tickets are routed in the same way as walk-up tickets as “Plus High Speed” (00131).

I don't know much about train fares and routing, and don't have "The Manual" nor would I probably even be able to read it if I did, but I'd like to travel on the High Speed rail out of St Pancras if it is still allowed on these tickets.

Thanks,
Duane

LondonJohn

I have travelled on these tickets twice now. I buy mine from a very helpful assistant called Claire who works at the SET ticket desk at Stratford International. She researched the ticket for me before I purchased it, found out how to issue it including with control tickets and when clarified about the lack of timed travel restrictions when using a Network Card she sent an email out to barrier staff to inform them of this. I usually buy my ticket on a Saturday afternoon when there are less people there so the transaction could be done quickly.

Last time after being told by one train manager that I needed a supplement to travel on HS1 I tried to buy one and she told me that it wasnt needed. So on 1 journey out of 4 I have been challenged abiout the supplement but was told it wouldnt be a problem.

When arriving in Dover, I just get the £2 bus down to the docks and check in for the nect available crossing. I sometimes check the P&O website to see what vessels are being used (favourites are Spirit of Britain and Pride of Canterbury)to plan crossings around them.

On the return I usually allow 60-75 minutes from the time the ship arrives to get to Dover Priory station and have been at the station usually in about 45 mins or so so never have to wait too long for the train to come in.

Last edited:

deoiub

I did this day trip on Saturday, and like an earlier poster thought it might be useful to give a run down of the day (and the pitfalls that occurred) for others to see and make note of.

We bought the tickets the day before from Charing Cross Station. The ticket agent knew about the ticket from the moment we asked for the ticket and went forward with issuing it without any conversation, and he even issued the Control Tickets (pictured below) without being asked about them. When asked if these were valid on HS1, he gave a very gruff 'No!'. From all conversation on this thread, this response is as expected, even though the ticket seems to be. £23.75 with Gold Card discount.

On Saturday morning we set out from our flat in south London, and looking at the train times it was no difference in our arrival time at Dover if we got a direct train out of London Bridge or if allowed for the extra travel time to get to St Pancras and then getting on HS1. So we took the 07:08 London Bridge train to Dover and arrived at 09:01.

The bus to the ferry terminal is just outside of the rail station on the left. The buses were meant to come every 20 minutes at 10, 30, & 50 past the hour. Although we were at the bus stand by 9:05, the 9:10 bus never materialised, and we were stuck around waiting for the 9:30 bus. By the time this bus arrived at the ferry terminal, checkin for the 10:15 crossing was closed, and we were ticketed onto the 11:10 crossing.

The 11:10 ferry was late running by about 15 minutes or so, and we arrived in Calais at about 14:00 CEST. This was quite a bit later than we were hoping for, but we made do. We choose to walk into town from the terminal rather than take the bus.

We had enough time for a leisurely lunch at a cafe, a bus ride from the Opera House to Cite Europe where we were able to do some shopping, and got the bus back to the Opera House. From there we were able to catch the free mini bus back up to the top of town, and it dropped us off at about a 10 minute walk from the ferry. The free mini bus is currently on a bit of a diversion due to construction, but still got us quite close to the ferry terminal.

Returning to the ferry at 18:50 we were told that all the ferries have been running on delays and the next one for foot passengers wasn't until 21:30. We were told to check-in through immigration and security between 20:30 and 21:00.

We went to the 'restaurant' on the 2nd floor of the terminal building to spend that time. The food wasn't very appealing looking, but there was a cooler with beer, single servings of wine, and other drinks. All in all it is better than sitting in the normal waiting area if you have more than an hour to wait.

The restaurant filled up quite quickly, and I overheard others saying that they were booked onto a crossing after 10pm, presumably because the 21:30 crossing I was on had been booked full for foot passengers (?). With the crowd building, we decided to ignore the stated advice of checking in at 20:30-21:00 and went down early at 20:15. We zipped right through immigration and check-in and got a seat in the waiting area. Within about 10 minutes they started filling up the shuttle bus to the ferry. We were on the Spirit of France, and it was the nicest of the ferries I have crossed on, and did include free wifi.

I believe it left right around 21:30 CEST as we were told to anticipate. We arrived back in Dover at about 22:10 BST. We were worried at this point about missing the last train to London at 22:44, and were really agitated by the complete lack of urgency or concern by the ferry employees in getting the foot passengers off of the ferry. We were docked for nearly 5 minutes before the employees came around to let the foot passengers off.

We rushed down the ramp and got onto the first of two shuttle buses waiting to take us from the ferry to the terminal, but had to wait for it to fill. When we arrived back at the terminal we rushed out and immediately discounted the notion of waiting for the local bus to the train station, because at this point it was 22:27 and the last train was at 22:44. We rushed to the taxi rank, where there was just one taxi waiting. He told us to hop in and off we sped. He got us to the station with time to spare, and the fare was just £5. Noting that the bus fare is £2 per person, this should be a valid option for people to consider.

The 22:44 was an HS1 train, and the ticket inspector on the train didn't comment at all on the ticket, he just punched it and moved along.

Arriving back at St Pancras our tickets opened the gate without any concern.

Attachments

• calais.jpg
    calais.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 155

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Thanks for the report deoiub. What is done with the Control Tickets? Are they for P&O accounting purposes or to try and stop people using two of these day returns to stay for more than one day in France?

What I'd like to know is has anybody tried to -
1) Buy this London-Calais ticket from a station / travel-agent outside South East England?
2) Buy it in combination with a CIV ticket to London International?
3) Use that CIV ticket to cross London on the Underground?
4) Use two of these day returns as a period return? (Not strictly allowed, I know. But if you're doing the trip from Northern England it would be nice to have more than a couple of hours in Calais!)

Oscar

Fares Advisor
(Not strictly allowed, I know. But if you're doing the trip from Northern England it would be nice to have more than a couple of hours in Calais!)

Why not? Why would you be obliged to use the return portion of the first ticket and why would you not be allowed to use the return portion of the second ticket after the outbound journey could have been completed?

deoiub

Thanks for the report deoiub. What is done with the Control Tickets? Are they for P&O accounting purposes or to try and stop people using two of these day returns to stay for more than one day in France?

I used the control tickets at the ferry terminal on each side when checking in. I handed the P&O ticket agent our passports and control tickets and simply said we'd like to check-in for the next available crossing. They kept the control tickets and provided us with the timed P&O ferry ticket.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Why not? Why would you be obliged to use the return portion of the first ticket and why would you not be allowed to use the return portion of the second ticket after the outbound journey could have been completed?

The man in seat 61 suggests that there might be a problem using two of these tickets as a period return.

www.seat61.com/London-Paris-ferry.htm

I suppose the railway wouldn't be bothered but P&O might object if they realized what is going on. I don't think that they like you using similar boat only tickets in that way. The problem is that this ticket is unpublicized and the exact terms and conditions aren't in the public domain, if they are written down anywhere at all.

Mark_re

Hi all,

I have an anytime day rtn from London Terminals to Calais for a couple of weeks' time with a Y-P discount. Can anyone tell me if it is valid via HS1? It is route 'STENA P+O'.

Thanks,

Mark

Lrd

Established Member
It doesn't say not valid anywhere, so presumably it's ok.

richw

Veteran Member
I have driven via dover Calais a few times recently, and would recommend members to time their trips where possible to use either Spirit of Britain or Spirit of France. These 2 vessels are under 18 months old and are vastly superior and a more pleasant crossing than the other older vessels.
Most recently used spirit of britain in a force 6-7 wind and their was no motion at all in the choppy conditions, which rather impressed me,

Pink

Hello, i tried purchasing tickets today; they gave me the normal tickets from chatham but they didn't give me any control tickets how do i get these?

hantsman1205

Taken from the man in seat 61"

Money-saving suggestion: Buy a 'day Trip' ticket from London to Calais, even for a one-way trip... It's very poorly publicised (it's not even mentioned on their website!) but South Eastern Trains offer a day return day tripper ticket from London to Calais for £33.90 adult, £16.95 child, or £22.35 for Senior or Young person railcard holders (January 2012 prices). It's valid on any 'classic' (in other words, non-high-speed) train to Dover even in the morning peak and on any P&O ferry to Calais, no reservation necessary. You can buy it at London's Charing Cross or Victoria stations on the day of travel. It's intended for day trippers, but even for one-way trips from London to Calais this £33.90 train+ferry ticket is a lot cheaper than buying a £34 one-way train ticket to Dover plus a £30 foot passenger ferry fare to Calais. There is no problem buying one of these day returns and not using the return leg. Just throw the return half away! However, it's doubtful if it could be used for one-way trips in the 'inward' direction. The ticket can also be bought starting in many other stations in Kent & South London such as Croydon, Guildford, Woking, Orpington, Canterbury or Ashford. It doesn't cover the bus between Dover Priory and Eastern Docks. You can confirm prices & details by calling South Eastern's customer services on 0845 000 2222"

bkhtele

Thanks for all your help and very useful comments, I have added my experiences of my Calais trip which may be of interest in "trip reports". Your photo of the ticket and details from the manual where invaluable. Doubt if I would have got my ticket in Kings Cross without it!

I think I’ll do it here as I have covered some of it and some the questions here are related to things I was going to cover and I don’t want to someone to spend time moving all the posts around.

Tickets
Take a print out from the manual (it is permissible for TOC’s to provide them when it would be helpful to the passenger) or find someone willing to look for it in the manual (under shipping links).

Avoid EMT (and possibly SWT though I am not sure how well the ticket offices are aware of SWT’s policy not to sell these) and pop over to FCC at Kings Cross (your experience here may be different.) I suggest Charing Cross may be the best place to but I haven’t tried there, Victoria in theory should also be good.

Euston may also be worth a try as they are used to selling shipping link tickets to Dublin.
South Eastern ticket offices may be more used to selling the fare (and they price it so might find it difficult to argue that it can’t be sold by them.) Try places like Canterbury, Folkestone and Ashford International.

The usual suggestion about trying a large station which may be more used to selling unusual tickets or complicated Itinerary’s also applies here.

A control ticket is needed, this gets retained by the check in staff at Calais on your return, I didn’t get one and they just photocopied my return rail ticket instead and said that it was ok on this occasion. I suspect if someone were to do this trip regularly and without a control ticket issues may arise eventually. Apprently it is quite common for pepole to turn up with out a control ticket so they are used to it.

Railcard discounts are available; the time restrictions are waved for these tickets. This is a SDR, singles and period returns are not available.

Despite what Southeastern might like to think the tickets are valid on HS1 (the routing is "STENA P&O" not "P&O NOT HS1" and there is nothing in the manual about them not being valid) and the guards seem more than happy about it, in fact 1 guard even commented that he had seen the fares on Avantix so presumably they can also be sold on-board.

Buses
The bus from Dover Priory goes from outside the station every 20 mins costs £2.00, takes 5 mins and concessionary bus passes are accepted, this drops you off outside the front of the ferry terminal, Not you will also get the bus back from here, though there isn’t anything to say so and in fact the sign you will see coming out of arrivals points to the bus shelter for national express, this is not the where the bus stops. Having said that I overheard a passenger getting on the bus talking to the bus driver saying that where the bus pick up keeps changing so it may be best to check before leaving arrivals, not after leaving as I found departures was locked up, there were no P&O staff around and I couldn’t get back into arrivals as the doors had been locked as soon as the passengers had left. The last bus (according to the driver of it) back to the station is at 20:40

The bus in Calais goes from the shelter outside the terminal and goes to the town centre and the railway station and costs €2.00 flat fare, however I didn’t have any chance to get any cash on the way (due to the machine at Dover station not wanting to give my card back) to exchange for Euros and walked to the center in about 15 mins. Come out of the terminal, turn right and you will see a sign directing you up the ramp and round the car park, walk up this, follow it round, then follow the road over the bridge and keep going. The route is signed.

Ferry
The trip takes 90 mins, beer is £3.20 a pint and hot food reasonable for this type of travel i.e. £7.49 for a choice of 7 items for breakfast.

Check in is 45 min before departure and you will need a passport and the relevant visas depending on your passport – obvious I know but anyone can search Google.

If you have limited mobility or use a wheel chair then you will need assistance to embark and disembark at Calais due to the steep series of ramps that you have ascend/ descend, coming home I saw a few people needing to stop on the way up to get their breath back.

You will be bussed from the terminal at Dover to immigration where you will need to get off show passport and then get back on the bus. Coming back you will be bussed directly to the terminal to walk through immigration. At Calais you will be bussed to and from the terminal, it seems that you only need to pass through immigration on the way out, both French and British and immediately after having your bags x-rayed; you then wait in a departure lounge (read room with seat and toilets) for the bus.

Foot passengers are only accommodated between 08:10 - 19:35 to Calais and 08:30 22:00 to Dover.

Any question, just ask. :)

Oh and if people could list which stations they have success in buying this ticket at it might be helpful to others.

Edit: added HS1 info, last port bus and foot passenger times.

wintonian

Established Member
Glad you foud it usefull.

I belive the manual now says these tickets are not valid on HS1, however I don't think the routing has changed to 'Not HS1' and remains 'Any permitted'

But then aren't direct trains always valid?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.