• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Adjacent stations on same line with no direct services

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Carstairs and Lockerbie are adjacent stations on the same line. From both you can reach Glasgow, Edinburgh, Motherwell and Carlisle. But they're unusual in that there's no direct service to them. You have to change at Motherwell.

Are there any other examples of this? Remember that this has to be no service at all. So you can't have TPExpress South Milford-Garforth, because Northern still stop there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
It depends how you define "on the same line". Chathill to Berwick is a clear one, others such as Syston and Melton (Mowbray) less so.

Iskra

Established Member
Long Preston and Settle used to be one I think. (It's not now, but still a poor service)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A borderline case would be Uddingston to Newton (Lanarkshire), and Carnforth to Oxenholme The Lake District. Both Newton and Carnforth used to have functioning platforms on the main line - today the platforms that remain lie on their respective diverging routes.

Uddingston to Newton was part of the Lanarkshire & Ayrshire Railway (to become part of the later Caledonian Railway), and Carnforth to Oxenholme The Lake District is part of the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway. Today's functioning platforms at Carnforth are on Midland Railway metals I believe, so am unsure if this would count.

In peace

Adam

nicobobinus

Tottenham Hale to Clapton. (Though there was until fairly recently one very early morning train that called at both - others will be able to advise if it still runs.)

Coleshill to Tamworth (both on the original Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Birmingham New Street and Tyseley, assuming the out of use platforms at Small Heath don't count.

They're not on the same line though - at Bordesley you change from the Oxford & Birmingham to the Birmingham & Gloucester route.

Andyjs247

Liverpool Central - Liverpool Lime Street
Liverpool Lime Street - Moorfields
Moorfields- James Street

The above journeys are not possible in the reverse direction around the loop line.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
They're not on the same line though - at Bordesley you change from the Oxford & Birmingham to the Birmingham & Gloucester route.

Like most threads on this forum, I guess opinions vary wildly. If you are on the fasts through Tyseley then the next station is Birmingham New Street. It might not have been built at the same time by the same company but in 2015 looking at a map that, say, XC trains might publish then they are stations on the same line. Certainly on the same route.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would St James Park (Exeter) to Pinhoe count?

Pinhoe only served by SWT services which run fast passed St James Park to Exeter Central?

trubla

Tamworth to Polesworth. You can go from Polesworth to Tamworth though

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Are trams and metros allowed?
If so then:
Hyde Park to Sheffield Station (S.Yorks Supertram).
Church Street to George Street (Croydon Tramway).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Lockerbie to Kirknewton

(That also doubles up as the longest station-less run in the UK.)

Michael.Y

Established Member
Cheating a bit, but Briton Ferry to Llangennech when trains take the Swansea District Line onto the HoWL via Hendy Jn.

pne

Not quite zero trains, but Bedwyn to Pewsey has one train in one direction in the morning, two trains (very close to each other) in the other direction in the evening.

Tomnick

Established Member
Like most threads on this forum, I guess opinions vary wildly. If you are on the fasts through Tyseley then the next station is Birmingham New Street. It might not have been built at the same time by the same company but in 2015 looking at a map that, say, XC trains might publish then they are stations on the same line. Certainly on the same route.
The best definition, I think, is a pair of stations where passenger trains pass through both stations, calling at neither or one, but with no trains calling at both. That avoids getting bogged down in the definition of a route - the only meaningful definition that I can think of is the lines of route shown in the Sectional Appendix, and that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the question.

IanD

Established Member
Long Preston and Settle used to be one I think. (It's not now, but still a poor service)

Clitheroe and Hellifield?

Not quite zero trains, but Bedwyn to Pewsey has one train in one direction in the morning, two trains (very close to each other) in the other direction in the evening.

If there's a service stopping at the two stations then they don't count. Basic premise of the OP :roll:

Springs Branch

Established Member
  • Wigan NW and Patricroft.
  • Eccles and Deansgate.
(Mon-Sat, all trains from Eccles towards Manchester run to Victoria. On Sundays, trains stopping at Eccles run to Oxford Rd & Piccadilly, but do not stop at Deansgate)
  • Ely and Kennett.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.