• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collision Plymouth 03/04/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
How else would we know that he says that he had the right signals? If it had been said to a TOC employee or an employee of the the police/network rail said person should not be talking about it either to members of the public or on a public forum... I doubt any employee would put the statement I directly quoted on this forum.

In circumstances like this many hundreds or even thousands of rail staff would have had access to that information, if nothing else, as it would have been one of the few facts communicated widely. Should it be public knowledge from that? Not really, but once the platform was reopened so quickly an educated guess would tell most of us that it probably wasn't down to a wrong-side failure with the signalling equipment.

bnm

Established Member
but once the platform was reopened so quickly an educated guess would tell most of us that it probably wasn't down to a wrong-side failure with the signalling equipment.

More correctly, not the platform being reopened but access to other platforms from the same signal said to have been 'correct' for the driver of 2E68.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
GWR has no updates yet (not via twitter at least)

Best bet is spotlight in the morning, Ill keep an eye out and let you know

Thank you, sciisfun... Although I don't have an interest in it personally, the talk is about the trains involved, and I wondered what the latest was with the injuries

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not wanting to take it off topic, but my local bus company's mechanical washing plant is operated by a system of queuing the buses up and then bring them in one by one by a bright white light known as the "calling-on" light

#

To go back on topic, whilst the investigators would rely on the data and records they obtained through the OTMR, would they also ask for video footage from anybody who might have had a camera pointing in that direction at the time?

bnm

Established Member
To go back on topic, whilst the investigators would rely on the data and records they obtained through the OTMR, would they also ask for video footage from anybody who might have had a camera pointing in that direction at the time?

Any bystander video can of course be requested by the investigating authorities.

They don't have an automatic right to obtain it though. That would require a court order.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Any bystander video can of course be requested by the investigating authorities.

They don't have an automatic right to obtain it though. That would require a court order.

That is what i was wondering... if an enthusiast happened to film the collision, would they request a copy or not - thanks for clearing that up. As it happens, I always leave my camera on the default "timecode" mode just in case this happens

richw

Veteran Member
I have just seen a photo of the 150 from a different angle to all previous shown, the second carriage was still over the points, possibly even the 1st carriage.

It's on the south west railways and heritage Facebook group

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
And GWR management said there was no serious injures which is good news.

The drivers (there were two fully qualified drivers) on the 150 were both injured but all the other drivers on here seem care about is what a subsidiary signal should be called.:roll:

ScouserGirl

The drivers (there were two fully qualified drivers) on the 150 were both injured but all the other drivers on here seem care about is what a subsidiary signal should be called.:roll:

I didn't know there was two qualified drivers on the 150? where did you find this out??

GB

Established Member
I despair this forum sometimes.

People get annoyed with speculation.
People then get annoyed when someone posts factual information because it isn't an official source.
Then you get people arguing semantics over what is or isn't a calling on signal.

455driver

Veteran Member
I didn't know there was two qualified drivers on the 150? where did you find this out??
Because I work that train and the Penzance driver is booked route refresh to Plymouth where he relieves the Exeter driver who then catches the HST up to Exeter to finish..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also why is everyone arguing over a Calling on Signal??
Because they are a bunch of, um maybe not!
I couldn't answer that without getting banned, not that I would be that bothered at the moment.

Edit-
Can we have all the crap about signals put into another thread because none of it is relevant to the issue this thread is about.
I mean every time I post off topic it is deleted with in minutes and infractions issued, why the double standards?

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

Who cares about the terminology in a scenario like this. As long as everyone on the thread understands that should be enough. Keep on topic

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I despair this forum sometimes.

People get annoyed with speculation.
People then get annoyed when someone posts factual information because it isn't an official source.
Then you get people arguing semantics over what is or isn't a calling on signal.

I've only come back to the forum for the start of the new TPE and Northern Franchises. Think i might be off once again...

At least there were no major injuries, really that is all we should care about.

455driver

Veteran Member
I would suggest that 455driver, or to be totally pedantic, ex455driver, would be rather well placed to know as he's GWRdriver these days

I have worked that duty quite recently hence me knowing, I am also aware of the names of the two drivers (and the Exeter based guard) involved.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I've only come back to the forum for the start of the new TPE and Northern Franchises. Think i might be off once again...

At least there were no major injuries, really that is all we should care about.

It has already been stated that at least one person has "life-changing injuries".

Jamesb1974

When I last checked this thread it was three pages long. Now it's twelve pages long, with what appears to be nine pages of bickering about what to call a signal! The full facts of the matter will do doubt come out in due course.

Cats Eyes...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It has already been stated that at least one person has "life-changing injuries".

and then stated that isn't the case. lets wait and see what comes out of the investigation. Speculation isn't helpful, especially when people have been hurt

Last edited:

ScouserGirl

Wasn't that Facebook gossip, thought BTP and local police confirmed no serious or life changing injuries ?

GWR manager said no serious injuries! and there are only 2 people in hospital now.
Because I work that train and the Penzance driver is booked route refresh to Plymouth where he relieves the Exeter driver who then catches the HST up to Exeter to finish..
Because they are a bunch of, um maybe not!
I couldn't answer that without getting banned, not that I would be that bothered at the moment.

Edit-
Can we have all the crap about signals put into another thread because none of it is relevant to the issue this thread is about.
I mean every time I post off topic it is deleted with in minutes and infractions issued, why the double standards?

oooh I hope both drivers are okay!! the signal thing is going off topic its just causing arguments...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have done my best to split the discussion about the terminology of positioning signals into a separate thread as requested. Due to the nature of the discussion and the fact that some posts overlap with this thread, I've made a few other minor alterations.

I'd be grateful if any you could bring any glaring errors that I've overlooked to my attention. Thanks.

455driver

Veteran Member

Stated by somebody on farcebook by (I assume) a passenger or spectator, no official statement has said anything of the sort!
oooh I hope both drivers are okay!! the signal thing is going off topic its just causing arguments...

They are a bit bashed up but both will be fine in a week or so.

General reply-
As the driver has stated in interview with GWR Management and NR (not the press) that he received the correct signal aspect at P15 signal all the cowmanure about signal aspects is just pathetic willy waving from some sad idiots (I wont call them colleagues because these are not the sort of people I want to be associated with) who are more interested in scoring points rather than about any injuries a couple of drivers (and lots of passengers) have received in a rather nasty collision.

VP185

Probably because these other drivers have more sense than to post ANY kind of detail relating to the incident as they are aware of the company social media policy.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Stated by somebody on farcebook by (I assume) a passenger or spectator, no official statement has said anything of the sort!

They are a bit bashed up but both will be fine in a week or so.

General reply-
As the driver has stated in interview with GWR Management and NR (not the press) that he received the correct signal aspect at P15 signal all the cowmanure about signal aspects is just pathetic willy waving from some sad idiots (I wont call them colleagues because these are not the sort of people I want to be associated with) who are more interested in scoring points rather than about any injuries a couple of drivers (and lots of passengers) have received in a rather nasty collision.

Well said, 455driver

Status
Not open for further replies.