• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aussie_Rail

Wow, you guys have a helicopter for rail operations? They don't have one here believe it or not.

What are the two devices attached under it? One looks like a spotlight, but what is the other one?

djw1981

Established Member
Used for survey work, remote access to RETB stations for maintenance, also used for reports of tresspassers on track (if in the area). Is fitted with track survery camera and spotklight as well as night vision as i understasnd it. Was hypothesissed to be used when the Tesco train has to stop near Wishaw as there were opportunistic thefts from train occurring.

Aussie_Rail

lol 'remote access', sounds like a Police Helicopter, do they use it as back up if its in the area? Or is it strictly for railway work? And, how many of these choppers do they have? And where is it based normally?

Also, I know Tesco as the supermarket but what was the Tesco train?

Cheers.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
i think NR use it as like an inspection unit from the sky,as i was reading in a train magazine,its like a police helicopter but looks for intruders,damage on the railway,etc....the bloody thing annoys me buzzing around and circling the same bit of land but i guess its doing it for the best,and doing it for everyones safety though,as for the tesco train it was allegedly tried to be robbed a couple of months back like a western style theme,they tried it again,but they have never been caught,and the tesco train is a train that runs each day and is operated by DRS,but the same loco is used each day,so it was painted in tesco/DRS livery,i think thats it not sure though,but im not good with this area,so sorry if im wrong!

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
Great Tesco Robbery eh?

Must carry electronics, fags and booze then....

Is this the train that goes all the way up the Far North Line with groceries?

FusionRail

It flies round the whole country routinely
Looking at fences, sub stations and wetbeds and adjacent land use.
Theres a MOM at Eastleigh who's had a couple of rides in it.

Now, Its a f***ing helicopter. Get over it.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I believe the furthest north the Tesco train goes is actually Mossend, but there was one that was to the far north by rail, that was the Safeway train IIRC to Georgmas Junction.

djw1981

Established Member
Tesco train goes to Grangemouth (thence cointainers go by road to the distribuition centre at Bathgate (about 1/4 mile from the Bathgate branch......).

ASDA havbe some containers on a WH Malcolm train. IIRC a supermarket (I think Tesco) will be running to Inverness where they will unload at the 'pad' which in the 1990's Safeway used to send deliveries to Georgemas.

I Just wanted to add that it’s a great photo. Yes it’s used for various reasons including Trespass and Vandalism which sadly the Portsmouth Hilsea and Cosham locations are all in the top 5 for the Wessex area. The Helicopter is also used for rail incident investigations by providing the “birds eye” view from above any major derailments etc.

Established Member
now that really is a FLYING bannana :lol: shame its not in yellow but then it would clash with the RAF choppers

Mintona

Established Member
The worlds best comeback, that.

So, how am I a stoat?

You have been known as Fusionstoat by a fair few people ever since you joined mate.

There was absolutely no need to be so abrupt, someone saw a helicopter and asked a question. I myself was interested in finding out the answer, as I had no idea. Just coz you know something, doesn't mean everyone else does.

It isn't just a "****ing helicopter" if you don't know about it, it is actually quite interesting to hear that Network Rail have one, and interesting to know what they use it for.

Stoat ;)

AC/DC Boy.

I Just wanted to add that it’s a great photo. Yes it’s used for various reasons including Trespass and Vandalism which sadly the Portsmouth Hilsea and Cosham locations are all in the top 5 for the Wessex area. The Helicopter is also used for rail incident investigations by providing the “birds eye” view from above any major derailments etc.

Yes it has been used in conjuction with the BTP to stop people tresspassing on lines, and causing a nuicance. It has also appeared in an episode of the BBC series "Rail Cops" that aired a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.