• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So I *AM* a fare evader, carrying out fraudulent behaviour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
On the recent FCC meet the directors forum (although I do wonder if any directors actually contribute anymore) I wrote this, following the comments from the nice RPI that is now harassing me at any given opportunity.

Question Number:20

I have a question that has serious implications on my own personal travel arrangements, and that of many other FCC commuters on the GN branch.

I have been an annual season ticket holder for eight years, using FCC since you took over in April 2006. For a number of years, I have been travelling to/from Old Street with a Hatfield to Hadley Wood season ticket (with plus Bus at Hatfield) and an Oyster card for Travelcard Zones 1-6. Both are annual tickets.

Although not relevant to this question, it's clearly a significant amount of money paid up-front every year.

As you are obviously aware, Condition 19 of the NCoC states that I must travel on a train service that calls at this station.

However, for as long as I can remember, FCC (and Wagn/National Express before it) has stated that we are allowed to travel on services that do not call at the boundary. Any TOC can choose to waive certain rules in favour of the passenger, which has always been the case.

In fact, a number of passengers may still have letters from FCC (under Elaine Holt) that implicitly stated it was acceptable – and there may be messages on an earlier online forum.

The sole reason for combining the tickets is to get the benefit of an Oyster card when travelling around London. Until the industry as a whole (including the Department for Transport) can get a standardised smartcard system in place, or TfL extends Zone 6 to include Potters Bar (as has been rumoured for some time), there will always be the need for this special permission.

In fact, I have had no problems in all the years that I have been travelling, until recently an RPI said he had been told he is now to enforce the rule and I would be liable to pay a penalty fare (although, I was not actually given one).

I have subsequently asked another RPI who said that his manager is telling revenue staff to clamp down, but even then I wasn't given a PF. It seems that revenue staff do not consider it a fair use of a penalty fare, especially when it has been allowed for such a long time and doesn't appear to do FCC any harm.

Can you please confirm if it is now prohibited for me, and others, to travel on a train that doesn't call at the boundary of Zone 6 (Hadley Wood) on the GN branch?

If so, what happens to people like me with an annual ticket that doesn't expire until the end of 2010? I would consider buying a different ticket (although I wouldn't be happy about it given that it means having to use paper tickets that will probably have to be replaced every month), but don't feel that I should be forced to change it part way through, which is almost certainly going to leave me out of pocket.

Such enforcement would also meant that I am now barred from using a number of services, especially at weekends and late at night.

I am hoping that there has been a simple misunderstanding here and that you can make things perfectly clear.

Their response was:

I cannot comment of the previous franchise oporators view of this.

FCC have always enforced the NRCoC and the combination of tickets your hold is only allowable under condition 19b.

Revenue Protection staff are constantly reminded of this and other fare evasion or fraudulent behaviour.

Given that they didn't actually answer, or even give a name to attribute to the answer I posted the following:

Question Number:38

Quote: "I cannot comment of the previous franchise oporators view of this.

FCC have always enforced the NRCoC and the combination of tickets your hold is only allowable under condition 19b.

Revenue Protection staff are constantly reminded of this and other fare evasion or fraudulent behaviour."

It isn't about the previous operator though, given that it was allowed when Elaine Holt was in charge and she definitely worked for FCC, not Wagn!

Of course, given that I don't have any documentary proof, I guess it's my word against yours and I am clearly going to lose this one. To say I am disappointed by this response is an understatement, and I feel for anyone else that is reading this and in the same situation.

It would be nice if I could be told who actually made that statement above, and whether I am now to be considered as someone who is fare evading or committing fraudulent behaviour. And if I am deemed a criminal, exactly what harm am I doing to FCC should this have to go to court?

I'd very much like to know what you suggest as a solution, perhaps offline by email if necessary.

As a supporter and defender of FCC for many years, I feel incredibly let down by this response and must say that in the last year I've been finding more and more reasons to consider things that are not changing for the better.

To which they replied again:

Thank you for your further comments. I will investigate to find out if we have any comments or documents attributable to Elaine Holt support your statement. However I must confirm that FCC will continue to enforce the NRCoC

Still no name, and still no real attempt to answer my questions (unless they email me offline later). Are they going to find any letter from Elaine? Are they even going to look? And, how is that going to help me now that any semi-fast train I go on will make me liable to a PF or worse?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've been researching my ticket options to solve this problem, given there's no way I can win this unless FCC finds supporting documentation to help ME (and not them) or another commuter finds a copy of the letter and let's me have a copy - but FCC would surely just say that it no longer applies anyway.

My options are as follows:

Hatfield to Hadley Wood (FCC paper ticket) - £1016
Z1-6 Travelcard (on Oyster) - £1904
£2920 per annum This is what I have now, and it's cheaper than any other option so I suspect FCC is merely after more money from me.

- does not allow use of semi-fast services that do not call at Hadley Wood.

Hatfield to Finsbury Park (FCC paper ticket) - £2040
Z1-3 Travelcard (on Oyster) - £1208
£3248 per annum

- allows use of semi-fast services that stop at Finsbury Park (which would be 99% of services). Only allows discounted travel from boundary zone 3.

Hatfield to Z2356 (FCC paper ticket) - £2228
Z1 only Travelcard (on Oyster) - £1032
£3260 per annum

- allows use of semi-fast services that stop at Finsbury Park (which would be 99% of services). Also allows discounted travel from boundary zone 6.

Hatfield to Z1-6 Travelcard (FCC paper ticket)
£3144 per annum

- allows use of all trains, plus discounted travel from boundary zone 6.

Who says ticketing is simple?!

Or, given that I work at Old Street, I can buy a London Terminals ticket for £2068.00 instead - and then use PAYG in and around London (giving me £852 to spend at my leisure). Of course, no more discounted train tickets from boundary zone 6 which is a pain - and no more Oyster card (but hey, who wants a nice smartcard ticket when you can revert to a bit of paper that wears out every month).

The whole thing is a joke.. especially the differences between ticket prices based on, what I can only assume, the sharing of the revenue between TfL and FCC.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
There are only 48 questions? I'd like to see what question 49 said and who it was - as well as FCC's response.

b0b

Established Member
The whole thing is a joke.. especially the differences between ticket prices based on, what I can only assume, the sharing of the revenue between TfL and FCC.

Or that FCC doesn't want you to use split season tickets to save money... i think you're screwed if they're withdrawing the waiver.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If you can find proof that the waiver existed when you bought your ticket I can't see how they can withdraw it until you get a new ticket.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Question Number:8

It has been confirmed to me in writing by FCC Head Office that using a particular combination of a FCC season ticket and a TFL Oyster card is valid on my journey. Some FCC ticket inspectors do not believe it is. If the ticket inspector refuses to accept the tickets are valid, even after showing them the FCC letter, what is the correct procedure to follow? Should I pay any penalty fare requested and reclaim it from FCC? If I am denied boarding or I am unduly delayed will FCC pay compensation?

Mr McAleese

I can confirm that you are correct and that you can use a combination of Oyster and season ticket for your journey, as long as the season ticket is valid to the station stop you are using. I will ensure that the Revenue Protection team are briefed regarding this. If you do find yourself in this situation and the Inspector takes no notice of the instructions within the letter then please ask them for their details and should they insist on issuing a penalty fare it should be nil paid and the appeals office will uphold your appeal.

Thanik you for your question

I can't work out if that is saying the train must STOP there or not. If it is, that doesn't really help!

My problem is that I don't have the letter. I never requested one and merely know that other passengers (some of whom I used to travel regularly) got confirmation from FCC on this and the issue of sitting in first class on a declassified service - to show to revenue staff. Until I can find one of these people, and find if they still have their letter (they better hope they do) then I am screwed.

Indeed, I believe that to be the case anyway given that any letter I might obtain and photocopy would not be written to me anyway. I am sure FCC could argue that they've given some sort of individual waiver as a means of getting out of it.

I am disappointed that the person that wrote the response did not give a name or their position. On forums before, back when they started, everyone would sign off. They'd also give information back, including dates and timeframes for work to be done. Now it seems like it's just a way of palming people off with short responses, 'thank yous' and promises to come back with information. It was quite telling when some people commented on this on the latest forum, including quotes of previous responses that were totally contradictory.

What the hell is happening at FCC at the moment? My problem seems like the tip of the iceberg.

(and if Mr Patrick McAleese is ever to read this, perhaps having Google'd his name for some reason, please do contact me privately!)

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As an aside

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u...nId=VA&sQuestionNumber=&sAskedby=&sSearchFor=

is an atrocious document for ay sort of official record - the questions appear to be in a random order, there's grammatical errors all over the place, random capitalisations, and 4-digit codes instead of punctuation.
That's before even looking at the inadequecies of so many of the answers.
I'd be ashamed to publish that - perhaps that's why there's no names attached.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Questions 8 and 59 here describe a different situation as both are arguably Zonal tickets.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I get the feeling that the current people in charge have no desire to do this forum/meet the directors anymore, but are perhaps obligated to do so because it seems the norm for all First Group companies. It would look odd to suddenly axe it, but that might actually be better in the long run.

We have no idea who the people are who are sitting there answering questions. In earlier ones, Elaine had rounded up a group of people to answer things in a detailed fashion and they signed with their name, and they also followed up by email with people after. Am I really going to hear anything from them in the coming days?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I get the feeling that the current people in charge have no desire to do this forum/meet the directors anymore, but are perhaps obligated to do so because it seems the norm for all First Group companies. It would look odd to suddenly axe it, but that might actually be better in the long run.

We have no idea who the people are who are sitting there answering questions. In earlier ones, Elaine had rounded up a group of people to answer things in a detailed fashion and they signed with their name, and they also followed up by email with people after. Am I really going to hear anything from them in the coming days?

Scotrails meet the managers has also gone down hill rapidly since Mary Dickson left the helm, so it may be disappearing from First group rapidly!

Aictos

Established Member
As an aside

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u...nId=VA&sQuestionNumber=&sAskedby=&sSearchFor=

is an atrocious document for ay sort of official record - the questions appear to be in a random order, there's grammatical errors all over the place, random capitalisations, and 4-digit codes instead of punctuation.
That's before even looking at the inadequecies of so many of the answers.
I'd be ashamed to publish that - perhaps that's why there's no names attached.

Questions 8 and 59 here describe a different situation as both are arguably Zonal tickets.

Sadly the Meet the Director web forums rapidly went downhill after the departure of Elaine so much that they no longer make any sense, as you've said above they consist of questions and answers in a random order, grammer errors and anon replies that could be posted by a resident of the monkey enclosure at London Zoo rather then when it was well organised under Elaine and you knew exactly WHO was behind each reply which might not have been the required answer but it was delivered properly.

Sad but true!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hardly anyone used the forum this time - just 10 pages long - and a good percentage were talking about photos of trains and liveries. They didn't even give particularly good responses to those either!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
When I worked for Thameslink, (before FCC), the 'meet the managers' things were in person at a particular station (often City or Blackfriars) during an evening, and whilst it may not have been ideal for everyone, you atleast knew who you were talking to!

t0ffeeman

I didn't even know that there was an online forum today. Last time I looked it said TBC. Now it says TBC, but then it would. Possibly the lack of promotion. Only John (and Peter Skuce) knew it was happening....

The quote from Mr McAleese is from 31 January 2008

jon0844

Veteran Member
I knew it was happening because I looked it up a couple of weeks ago because of my run-ins with a certain RPI in recent months. It wasn't really advertised though, and I only found it because I had bookmarked the section from earlier forums.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonmorris0844, I understand you relieved a letter from WAGN but not from FCC? That is a shame because without a letter, I think the only thing you can go on is the response they issued via the online forum, which doesn't address the issue of trains not stopping at the station you change from one ticket to another.

I'm not really sure what to suggest.

It's not valid as per the NCoC. If FCC have given permission and this is in writing you can surely hold them to it. WAGN's permission would certainly have sufficed for the duration of your ticket at that time but obviously that was years ago now.

I think you may have to admit defeat on this particular issue.

But I'd refer FCC to the ORR regarding the behaviour of the RPI who harrasses you, and maybe even report him to the police for harrasment. Step up the fight there, as FCC is in breach of the PF rules. They could have their PF scheme suspended.

...and a good percentage were talking about photos of trains and liveries....
...Only John (and Peter Skuce) knew it was happening.....
Ah, that explains it!:lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Indeed, without that letter I am screwed.

I can really see a PF appeal working on the basis that I say they used to let me do it! Just about everyone from FCC at the time has left to work for DOR or East Coast, so who is left that will remember?
I have now investigated another option;

(Current ticket)

Hatfield to Hadley Wood (FCC paper ticket) - £1016
Z1-6 Travelcard (on Oyster) - £1904
£2920 per annum

Hatfield to Z456 - £1880
£3088 per annum

That's 'just' £168 extra and because both tickets are now zonal, I can definitely combine them as part of NRCoc 19a.

This also allows me to get an extension from Z6, although it will no doubt prove a hassle when buying a ticket now that I'll have to show two tickets.

OwlMan

Established Member
What is the official status of a zones 1-6 travelcard.
Is it a zonal ticket?
Is it a season ticket?
Is it issued buy a local authority? -TFL is the responsibility of the GLA (Greater London Authority) which could be classed as a local Authority.

Does anyone have an official answer to any of the above? I can not find anything official on either the TFL or the National Rail websites.

Peter

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am amazed nobody has challenged this condition in court to seek clarification.

Having talked to my wife about this tonight, she can't even understand why you might want to stop people combining two tickets - or how I could have an annual Z1-6 Travelcard and buy a DAY return to Hadley Wood and combine then without the train stopping. She asked why it makes a difference if they're both season tickets.

I can't answer because I can't understand exactly what the condition is meant to save/protect/prevent!

I think my only option is to use the slow trains between now and renewal and then get TWO zonal tickets from next year and pay slightly more. Of course, if I can locate that letter then things may change, but I suspect FCC will now state that they've withdrawn that easement and I'd still be buggered.

OwlMan

Established Member
Indeed, without that letter I am screwed.

I can really see a PF appeal working on the basis that I say they used to let me do it! Just about everyone from FCC at the time has left to work for DOR or East Coast, so who is left that will remember?
I have now investigated another option;

Hatfield to Z456 - £1880
£3088 per annum

That's 'just' £168 extra and because both tickets are now zonal, I can definitely combine them as part of NRCoc 19a.

This also allows me to get an extension from Z6, although it will no doubt prove a hassle when buying a ticket now that I'll have to show two tickets.

Well you are only saving £56 off a Hatfield - zone1-6 season, is £56 worth it to only show 1 ticket and save any hassle?

Peter

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's not about saving money. I'd pay a bit more for the convenience of having an Oyster card for my travel around London.

With the Z1-3/Z4-6 split, I will have to use Oyster for most stations and a paper ticket for the others and it's somewhat stupid but FCC has no franchise requirement to introduce smartcard ticketing, and so they aren't going to do so.

If Potters Bar was ever moved to become part of Z6, the problem goes away. If London Overground takes over and WGC becomes part of the zonal system (zone 8 or 9 whatever) then the problem also goes away.

This problem WILL sort itself out in the coming years.

tony_mac

Established Member
I can't answer because I can't understand exactly what the condition is meant to save/protect/prevent!

I have always assumed it was because season tickets cannot be excessed in the same way as walk-up tickets, so it would allow a season-ticket holder to occasionally go on a longer journey and still use their season ticket as 'part-payment' without having to take a slow train.

Of course, that's entirely speculation, but I think it would justify the wording used.

RJ

Established Member
For split season tickets, the train must stop at the station where the user changes tickets. For one season ticket and an extension on a daily basis, the train does not have to stop there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
For split season tickets, the train must stop at the station where the user changes tickets. For one season ticket and an extension on a daily basis, the train does not have to stop there.

Normally yes. But WAGN did (and it seemed to be understood that FCC also did) allow an exception to this and did not require one ticket to be a season and one a non-season.

Did you read the original question?

jon0844

Veteran Member

I know that. This isn't even being argued, although I did ask WHY this rule existed and what it serves to do. Nobody ever seems to be able to give a proper explanation, and I mean on ANY thread where Condition 19 is being discussed.

This whole thing is about FCC having allowed you to 'break' the rule by not enforcing it. Now they say they are, and always have. With new management, it's going to be somewhat hard to disprove.

RJ

Established Member
What is the official status of a zones 1-6 travelcard.
Is it a zonal ticket?
Is it a season ticket?
Is it issued buy a local authority? -TFL is the responsibility of the GLA (Greater London Authority) which could be classed as a local Authority.

Does anyone have an official answer to any of the above? I can not find anything official on either the TFL or the National Rail websites.

Peter

One Day Travelcard = Zonal ticket
Season Travelcard = Season ticket

John @ home

Established Member
One Day Travelcard = Zonal ticket
Season Travelcard = Season ticket
One Day Travelcard = Zonal ticket and not a Season ticket - Agreed.

But
Season Travelcard = Season ticket and not a Zonal ticket
or
Season Travelcard = Season ticket and also a Zonal ticket?

It seems to me that a season travelcard meets the requirements of both Appendix A (o) and Appendix A (r) of the NRCoC.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've obtained a copy of a letter from FCC stating that they DO accept the use of two zonal tickets, as described in 19(a). That doesn't actually help me in my own case, but does hopefully confirm it would be okay to change ticket as follows; turning my point-to-point ticket into a station-Zone (i.e. Hatfield to Z456) and then using a Z123 TravelCard would mean BOTH tickets are zonal and I am okay.

I would say that a Travelcard marked with zones will ALWAYS be a zonal ticket, whether it's a daily ticket, weekly, monthly or annual. I can't see how it couldn't be?

One day I might find out WHY there is such a condition that stops you combining two ANNUAL tickets (each costing a small fortune and netting the TOC a great deal of money up front) but not having ONE annual ticket and then extending it on a daily basis without the restriction applying.

I enquired this morning as to how much it might cost to upgrade my ticket (downgrading the TravelCard part should be quite easy in comparison) on a pro-rata basis, but was told at the booking office that it would be very hard to calculate and take a lot of time.

I offered to come back another time, when there was more than one window open, as I'd have almost certainly caused lots of people to miss trains as a result.

I've still had no contact from FCC on this (or indeed my other matter) but I've now come to expect that they will just wash their hands of any problems. If all they want is extra money, as it comes down to how the revenue is divided based on how much of the ticket revenue is allocated to FCC instead of TFL, then they could at least follow this up and tell me what to do. The end result would be no more stress for me, and more money for them.

(In the meantime, I have someone else kindly offering to take some time to do some investigating of their own!)

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you can say when it starts and ends myself or someone else could probably tell you what it would cost (roughly) to change them.

barrykas

Established Member
One day I might find out WHY there is such a condition that stops you combining two ANNUAL tickets (each costing a small fortune and netting the TOC a great deal of money up front) but not having ONE annual ticket and then extending it on a daily basis without the restriction applying.

Actually, the TOCs don't get all of the money for an annual season at the time of purchase, it's spread throughout the year.

I enquired this morning as to how much it might cost to upgrade my ticket (downgrading the TravelCard part should be quite easy in comparison) on a pro-rata basis, but was told at the booking office that it would be very hard to calculate and take a lot of time.

Obviously a ticket office that doesn't do changeovers very often! Without knowing when you bought your season I can't give exact figures, but assuming it was bought after the January fares change, but before the May one:

Work out the cost of a ticket for the new journey for the same period as the original. In this case, if the new journey is Hatfield - Zones 4-6 for an annual, that'd be £47 (7 Day Rate) x 40 = £1880.

Assuming no "void" days are owed, you divide the price of the current and new tickets by 365, then round to the nearest penny, to calculate the notional daily cost of each.

Hatfield - Hadley Wood = £1016 / 365 = £2.78
Hatfield - Zones 4-6 = £1880 / 365 = £5.15

You then work out the exact number of days validity needed for the new ticket. (Most stations tend to allow a few days after you hand the form in for the calculation). Let's say, for ease of calculation, that's 100.

Multiply the base rate in each case by the number of days required.

Hatfield - Hadley Wood = £2.78 * 100 = £278 Credit on old ticket
Hatfield - Zones 4-6 = £5.15 * 100 = £515 Charge for new ticket

Subtract the larger from the smaller: £515 - £278 = £237 due from customer

A similar calculation would apply for changing the Oyster Travelcard, but would (obviously) result in a refund...However, that would have to be done by an LU Ticket Office.

HTH,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.