• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random little annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
One little thing that gets to me is people who refer to themselves on the third person, bomber from auf weidersein pet used to grate on me for that. I can't really say much about spelling an grammer as mine is atrotious. But people who personify inanimate objects I mean yes I named my car but I don't talk to it like its a person.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People who take ages at the cashpont when theres a queue. Just take the money and p off !!!!

SS4

Established Member
People who take ages at the cashpont when theres a queue. Just take the money and p off !!!!

Especially those who use more than one card or the same one twice. I am of the opinion that if you want to do that then you should go to the back of the queue for the second time

HST Power

Established Member
....Which is exactly why I am a great believer in the Self Service Tills!

SS4

Established Member
....Which is exactly why I am a great believer in the Self Service Tills!

That too. Yesterday at Asda there were massive queues for the manned tills yet self service was deserted enough for the attendant to look bored and I sped through

HST Power

Established Member
That too. Yesterday at Asda there were massive queues for the manned tills yet self service was deserted enough for the attendant to look bored and I sped through

I had exactly the same expierence in Morrison's yesterday. I wanted to buy two things, but the tills were under siege from the endless array of carnage that seems to take place every time I set foot in Morrisons. Luckily, the self service department remains largely uninhabited, so I didn't miss the chance!

WestCoast

Established Member
People who can't use apostrophes correctly.

They are thinking of removing the possessive apostrophe in Australia apparently.

This is a very special link for all those members of the grammar police on here, which was brought to my attention on another forum after an argument that a couple of posters had about the correction of spelling and grammar.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/b/...rrect-other-web-users-on-their-spelling-2.htm

It's poor 'netiquette' apparently.

Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Right where do I start...

People who always slag off cockney/South London accent for no reason sound like snobs to me. I have theory this is because people who make out there 'hard' try and impersonate the accent and fail epically. I have a South London accent and I'm not a chav/gangster!

People who make out there smart and opinionated, and in fact know nothing about the real world.

People who are overly opinionated gets on my nerves "well in my opinion" all the time. Word of advice I couldn't give a **** about your opinion.

Trainspotters 'modern'fashion and looks. It looks like something from Jim Hensons workshop.

Ivo

Established Member
People who always slag off cockney/South London accent for no reason sound like snobs to me.

D'oh. There goes my complaint from last night.

It's not so much the accent that gets to me, although it is annoying, it's the dialect. Seriously, how is anyone who grew up more than about 60 miles from Bow supposed to know what a "jam jar" is [besides something you put jam etc in], especially when they have such things as ASD as with me? I grew up less than 40 miles from Bow and that was the only instance of rhyming slang I knew before I left home! And there are some things that your average East Ender - and I don't just mean those who work at Elstree or wherever it is - will not pronounce properly, even though the obviously can. This is especially true of the tendency to needlessly drag out vowels to the point that they sound like something else, as with such words as "out", "oi", and "my". And don't even get me started on such "words" as "innit", "bruv" or the dreaded "ain't"...

The worst thing about it though is the spread of the language. I mentioned Bow earlier because a traditional Cockney had to have been born within audible (I think it was audible as opposed to visual) range of Bow church. Last I checked, neither of Harlow and Basildon was anywhere near that range. Damned New Towns Programme, bringing the Cockneys into Essex! <(

/anti-Cockney rant

-------------------

Another one now: People who spoilt their children and then claim otherwise. I don't mind hypocrisy as such, but this is not only setting a bad example (to the children and anyone else witnessing the scenario) but also an extreme case of the "H"-word!

I should have taken the apostrophe's one (use of linguistically incorrect "baker's apostrophe" intended)...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
D'oh. There goes my complaint from last night.

It's not so much the accent that gets to me, although it is annoying, it's the dialect. Seriously, how is anyone who grew up more than about 60 miles from Bow supposed to know what a "jam jar" is [besides something you put jam etc in], especially when they have such things as ASD as with me? I grew up less than 40 miles from Bow and that was the only instance of rhyming slang I knew before I left home! And there are some things that your average East Ender - and I don't just mean those who work at Elstree or wherever it is - will not pronounce properly, even though the obviously can. This is especially true of the tendency to needlessly drag out vowels to the point that they sound like something else, as with such words as "out", "oi", and "my". And don't even get me started on such "words" as "innit", "bruv" or the dreaded "ain't"...

The worst thing about it though is the spread of the language. I mentioned Bow earlier because a traditional Cockney had to have been born within audible (I think it was audible as opposed to visual) range of Bow church. Last I checked, neither of Harlow and Basildon was anywhere near that range. Damned New Towns Programme, bringing the Cockneys into Essex! <(

/anti-Cockney rant

-------------------

Another one now: People who spoilt their children and then claim otherwise. I don't mind hypocrisy as such, but this is not only setting a bad example (to the children and anyone else witnessing the scenario) but also an extreme case of the "H"-word!

I should have taken the apostrophe's one (use of linguistically incorrect "baker's apostrophe" intended)...

Let me give you a little lesson sir we do not walk down the street all singing 'apple and pears'.

I'll agree though with my accent I can't pronounce things in a posh southern way like yourself. :p

passmore

What really gets my goat is poor grammar and syntax. Anyone can make mistakes, but our language is a precision tool and it should be treated as such. Innit.

This, unfortunately, is a 'minor little annoyance' of mine. Spelling and grammar is only one side of our language. So long as the meaning isn't distorted, I don't have a problem with a reasonably badly-spelt post.
If you look for precision in every post, you really can't say you're in it for the debate, can you?

Ivo

Established Member
Let me give you a little lesson sir we do not walk down the street all singing 'apple and pears'.

That's good then! To be fair I've never known anyone to do that without having taken more than a little intoxicating liquor first...

I'll agree though with my accent I can't pronounce things in a posh southern way like yourself. :p

Regarding Southern accents, I know my accent is quite "posh", but then so are quite a few others' at home. It seems you either have Estuary or fairly "classy" in Southend, and for that matter much of the eastern half of Essex... As for other Southern accents, Bristol's certainly isn't posh! :lol: Seriously, where is "Baaaaaaff" anyway? I hear it's a city just east of my University?

EM2

Established Member
I mentioned Bow earlier because a traditional Cockney had to have been born within audible (I think it was audible as opposed to visual) range of Bow church.
A true Cockney is born within the sound of Bow bells. However, this is NOT the bells of the church in Bow (where the 205 bus starts) but St-Mary-Le-Bow in Cheapside, in the City of London.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I can understand what your on about to an extent, what your talking about are 'fake' cockneys 'wannabes'.

I have a genuine accent, and I do pronounce things different I really have to slow down to say things 'properly'. Again people with regional accents always pronounce it in there own way. I'm happy with the way it is my fellow South Londoners seem to understand.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Not getting to watch what I want on TV...
Coins that won't go into self service checkouts...

HST Power

Established Member
Coins that won't go into self service checkouts...

I do feel a little apprehensive sometimes. I wouldn't put it past some of these supermarkets to fiddle with the machines so you have to make extra payments!

Lately, I've been really annoyed when I try to log into my emails and click to type in my password, only to click 'I forgot my password' by mistake. I keep doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.