• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

€22,000 Bill for driving inn Brussels premetro tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwlMan

Established Member
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2764703

Hefty bill for Range Rover driver who careered down into the premetro

2140131987.jpg

Twitter - Bastien Nguyen

Sun 11/09/2016 - 09:59 CDC Driving your car down into the premetro is easier than getting it out. This is what a drunken motorist discovered when he careered down into the premetro with his Range Rover in February of this year.
The 4-wheel-drive sports utility vehicle descended into the premetro - tram lines that run through tunnels in the Brussels underground in anticipation of us forking out for a state-of-the-art metro extension - at the Albert station. It continued on its way past three stops finishing its journey at the South Station.
Returning the car to ground level required some considerable effort. As the vehicle was too large it couldn't be fitted onto rolling stock but had to be towed to the Lemonnier Station as would happen with a faulty tram.
Tow-away services were at work for 5 long hours and, as everybody who has had any experience with such services knows, this can be a costly affair. The bill for the work came out at 22,000 euros - no mean sum. The cost takes account of the type of vehicle, the time the vehicle was stuck in the premetro and the cost of diverting tram traffic as well as damage to premetro infrastructure.
According to the daily La Dernière Heure the metro authority MIVB plans to settle the matter with the driver's insurance.

see http://www.dhnet.be/regions/bruxell...ure-s-eleve-a-22-000-57d303043570646c923c34d0 for newspaper article in French

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
In a driving accident of any sort, the driver's 3rd party insurance will ensure that the innocent party is covered for any damages (for example, if I drive on the wrong side of the road and hit another car, my insurance pays for the repairs to the other driver's car).

I'm assuming that the same logic applies here - the driver caused damage to the metro that is being recuperated via his insurer. This is a sensible approach because I suspect that the driver probably doesn't €22,000 to spare, and with a criminal record and no access to a vehicle probably won't be able to get a decent job anyway. So the state/transport authority/tram company aren't left with the bill.

MarcVD

Although there are cases where the insurance pays and then turns back to the Customer to recover its money. Could very well happen here...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There must be plenty of accidents where insurance pays out a much higher figure, particularly if injuries or fatalities are involved. The bill for Great Heck would have run into the tens of millions.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Years ago in Dusseldorf, a driver mistook the blue Underground sign for a car park and went doen the stairs to the platform. Murphys law?

AlexNL

Established Member
I would not be surprised if the insurance company refuses to pay out as the driver was intoxicated.

MarcVD

Same in Belgium, as already mentioned before...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Flying Snail

Established Member
I would not be surprised if the insurance company refuses to pay out as the driver was intoxicated.

Insurance wouldn't be much good if they refused to pay when the policy holder is at fault seeing as that is the purpose of it in the first place.

They can reclaim costs if the holder has broken certain clauses but will have to settle the third party claim with the claimant first.

Third party claims have to be honoured no matter what the insured has done while claims for the insured and their property may not be covered.

Same goes for bridge strikes, it is the insurer that will pay the railway's costs not the haulier, what then happens between the insurer and their client is down to their policy terms and all of it is separate from any criminal proceedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.