• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£1.7million roof plan for Blackburn Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sox

A NEW £1.7million project to cover platform four at Blackburn Railway Station has been unveiled.

The platform was the only one that did not have a roof, following a major £5million refurbishment 10 years ago.

The new project will include a lift so disabled passengers and those with luggage will no longer have to struggle up a steep slope from the subway to the platform.

The new canopy will be in place for the start of the winter. Bosses at Network Rail said that there was little need for the platform to be covered at the time of the 2001 refurbishment, because it was hardly used.

But now trains regularly call at the platform and passengers have to wait in a bus-stop-style shelter.

Network Rail route director Jo Kaye said: “The lack of shelter on platform four is the one thing that passengers have told us they want resolved more than anything. Now the funding has been secured, we will make sure they have the new facilities before the winter weather arrives.”

The work will be funded from the Department for Transport’s Access for All and National Stations Improvement programmes, and includes a contribution of around £250,000 from Blackburn with Darwen Council.

Brian Bailey; director for regeneration said: “This is another step in delivering our plans to improve the borough’s rail links and passenger facilities. The two shelters on platform four were always meant to be temporary and we are delighted the work is due to start.”

The canopy will extend to cover almost the entire length of the platform, including the slope from the subway, which is currently exposed.

Seats will be provided under the canopy, which will be lit and will be covered by CCTV.

The passenger information screen will be relocated to the underside of the canopy and there will be speakers for the station public address system.

To the rear of the platform a new windbreak will be provided which will incorporate the ‘Gandhi’ artwork that the station is famous for.

Work is expected to start next month and will take approximately five months to complete.

During this time, platform four will be closed, with train services diverted to alternative platforms.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/8963465.__1_7million_roof_plan_for_Blackburn_Railway_Station/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lancastrian

Well any improvement to facilities at any station is to be appauded. But correct me if I am wrong, I am sure that it was not to long ago that Blackburn Station had a number of "improvements" done then, so why was this one not included. Could it possibly be because the cost was to high! It would be interesting to find out how much it would have cost to have done this with the last set of work at Blackburn, and how much more it will cost now. Will we be able to recover the difference from the bonuses of the Notwork Rail managers?

driver9000

Established Member
Blackburn station was rebuilt around 2000. Platform 4 was intended to be a 'contingency platform' and not in normal use as it had been before the rebuild. The cost of building a canopy on a platform that wasn't planned for regular use may have put them off building it and instead opting for the shelters. A couple of years later the service pattern changed which brought platform 4 into regular use.

Platform 4 should close for the work to be done at the timetable change.

lancastrian

Blackburn station was rebuilt around 2000. Platform 4 was intended to be a 'contingency platform' and not in normal use as it had been before the rebuild. The cost of building a canopy on a platform that wasn't planned for regular use may have put them off building it and instead opting for the shelters. A couple of years later the service pattern changed which brought platform 4 into regular use.

Platform 4 should close for the work to be done at the timetable change.

Just as I thought, another short sighted piece of planning. Blackburn had more platforms years ago, they try and reduce them to less than is reasonable and then it costs us even more money to correct the misstakes. And these people get bonuses. That is why we are in such a mess.

boing_uk

Blackburn had more platforms years ago, they try and reduce them to less than is reasonable and then it costs us even more money to correct the misstakes.

Blackburn certainly doesnt need any more platforms. I have often wondered though just why there is a need to run trains on to P4 in the first place, service disruptions aside.

The daftest piece of routing in the morning peak is making the Clitheroe train (heading to P1) wait for the Colne train (to P2). Why not just run the Colne service in to P1 and run Clitheroe in to P2? The layout permits it.

The number of times either my own train or the Clitheroe train is waiting for one or the other to clear the crossings to get in to the station, as lets face it, one or the other also has to wait for other to get out the station on the other side anyway... why delay the trains twice?

lancastrian

It includes CCTV, speakers, the artwork etc I believe.

CCTV and Speakers make sense, BUT artwork!!!!!!!!! Why spend money on artwork, they cut back other improvements needed because there is no money and then it is wasted on "Artwork". I know it should not be that much money, but having seen some of the crap that gets erected as 'artwork' and its cost. Just look at that really daft and weird thing at the Tesco roundabout, on the Middlebrook at Horwich. (It is supposed to be a sculpture of a L&Y 2-4-2T, but unless you actually know that, then you will wonder what it is supposed to be).

If the money wasted on such 'artwork' was actually used to do some good, it would be a much better use of that money.

HST Power

Established Member
In Stuttgart, haven for the rich in Germany, they spent twenty billion on their train station.

boing_uk

The artwork already exists, it just needs to be moved. Its a long stainless steel affair along the back of P4.

Sox

Blackburn commuters are being invited to meet the project team that is about to transform their wet, wintery waits for trains on platform 4 into dry, desirable departures.

People from Network Rail, its contractor Amco, train operator Northern and Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council will be at the station between 7 and 9.30 am, and 4 and 6.30 pm on Tuesday 10 May.

Passengers will be able to talk to the team about the improvements being made at the station and be reassured that the work will have no effect on train services once it starts.

Alan Howarth, Network Rail’s project sponsor, said: “The changes we are making mean getting to platform 4 and the time spent on it will be a much more pleasurable part of the journey.

“Even so, I know some passengers will have concerns about their daily journeys once the work starts. This will be our opportunity to listen to them and provide the answers and information they are looking for.”

Work starts on Sunday 22 May when platform 4 will close for approximately five months.

Mr Howarth explained: “During the first couple of weeks our contractor Amco will be carrying out preparatory work such as ground surveys and analysing the results.

“When the work starts in earnest, the first thing we will concentrate on is the subway alterations, building the new lift shaft up to the platform and installing the lift.”

The second phase of the work will be to construct the canopy that will cover almost the entire length of the platform, and then fit out the seating, lighting, public address speakers, information screens and CCTV system.

The entire project is due to be completed before the next winter sets in.

Notes to Editors:

Timescales:

•The project team considered keeping the platform open throughout the work but the cost of the work would have risen, meaning less canopy coverage than is now planned for the money available, and the work would have taken three times as long, lasting throughout the winter, thereby causing greater impact and disruption for passengers.

Funding:

•Department for Transport from its ‘Access for all’ and ‘National Stations Improvements Programme’ funds - £1.5m
•Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council - £200,000

Total £1.7m

Scope of work is:

Platform 4 work

• Install a lift to service Platform 4 from the underpass;

• Provide a canopy that will offer protection from the elements;

• Provide windbreaks to the rear of the platform;

• Incorporate the mural feature within the windbreak structure;

• Surface the platform to the underneath of the canopy.
Customer Information

• Move the current customer information screen;

• Provide public address to the underside of the new canopy;

Passenger Waiting Facilities

• Install passenger seating in the under canopy area;

Security

• Install CCTV cameras for coverage to the under canopy area;

Lighting

• Install lighting to the under canopy area;

Signage

• Install signage to the under canopy area;

Provide Community Notice boards to Platform 4 and Platforms 1/3

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...ROVEMENTS-1734/SearchCategoryID-ffffffff.aspx

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Network Rail; wasting more of our money than ever before.

I think that this proposal will ensure that Blackburn station's past upgrade will be completed and give the whole station a modern and pleasant place for rail travellers. The number of rail services that currently use Blackburn deserves this final item to complete an excellant interchange.

boing_uk

If they had kept to using just platforms 1 and 2 instead of putting all wesbound services through 4 (which isnt needed most of the time) there would be no need build the roof.

Keep 4 as the "spare" platform as was originally planned, it will be fine.

The £1.7M could have been better spent at other stations, like a bit for Darwen station for example.

Of course the question would be, how much more would it have cost to install a passing loop between Darwen and Bromley Cross? And would a £1.7M contribution to that have been more use? (Ignoring the fact that the pots of cash used would have been different).

BwDBC would have been better off contributing to that, than an unnecessary roof.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If they had kept to using just platforms 1 and 2 instead of putting all wesbound services through 4 (which isnt needed most of the time) there would be no need build the roof.

Keep 4 as the "spare" platform as was originally planned, it will be fine.

The £1.7M could have been better spent at other stations, like a bit for Darwen station for example.

Of course the question would be, how much more would it have cost to install a passing loop between Darwen and Bromley Cross? And would a £1.7M contribution to that have been more use? (Ignoring the fact that the pots of cash used would have been different).

BwDBC would have been better off contributing to that, than an unnecessary roof.

Do you feel that the rail infrastructure of North Lancashire is not worthy of new financial input? I know that this thread concerns Blackburn and that your station is Darwen, but further down your line is Bolton, which, like Blackburn is a station with rail links to more than a couple of destinations. Bolton is having a multi-million pound upgrade at present.

It is obvious that stations that carry more passengers annually and feature more through routes will be the first to gain in financial terms for new and upgraded infrastructure. I know that Darwen is a sizeable town, but in rail terms, it is a victim of its own location.

Look at the annual passenger loading figures for Bolton, Blackburn and Darwen and you will see the point that I am making.

boing_uk

Do you feel that the rail infrastructure of North Lancashire is not worthy of new financial input?

Not at all. I think it doesn't get enough. However I dont think that it is targetted correctly; Blackburn does not need a new roof. Pathing the trains better would negate this.

I know that this thread concerns Blackburn and that your station is Darwen

No it isnt. I think I have used Darwen station twice in total, so I could not care less. In fact I have to use Platform 4 at Blackburn and its awful. So putting Colne and York trains in to P1, Blackpool and Manchester trains in to P2 would suit me just fine. A roof isnt needed.

but further down your line is Bolton, which, like Blackburn is a station with rail links to more than a couple of destinations. Bolton is having a multi-million pound upgrade at present.

Bolton is a much busier station catering for more than double the number of passengers with destinations more popular, particularly Manchester and Preston with alot of intercity traffic between the two. If money were no object, Blackburn station should be moved back towards Vue, demolishing the station building, straightening the line a bit and putting a bus interchange in the space freed up. But money is an object and will never happen.

Look at the annual passenger loading figures for Bolton, Blackburn and Darwen and you will see the point that I am making.

Darwen station could offer passengers better facilities and perhaps encourage more passenger use (on an already busy line). In fact, Darwen station is really in the wrong place and should be nearer the academy.

I do see the point you are making, but what I am saying is that the money spent on Blackburn does not represent a good investment when the situation could be resolved by pathing the trains as originally planned.

Although no doubt, as is always the way, the money allocated for Blackburn station could only be used for specific projects and not returned to a more general pot.

Sox

Not at all. I think it doesn't get enough. However I dont think that it is targetted correctly; Blackburn does not need a new roof. Pathing the trains better would negate this.

No it isnt. I think I have used Darwen station twice in total, so I could not care less. In fact I have to use Platform 4 at Blackburn and its awful. So putting Colne and York trains in to P1, Blackpool and Manchester trains in to P2 would suit me just fine. A roof isnt needed.

Bolton is a much busier station catering for more than double the number of passengers with destinations more popular, particularly Manchester and Preston with alot of intercity traffic between the two. If money were no object, Blackburn station should be moved back towards Vue, demolishing the station building, straightening the line a bit and putting a bus interchange in the space freed up. But money is an object and will never happen.

Darwen station could offer passengers better facilities and perhaps encourage more passenger use (on an already busy line). In fact, Darwen station is really in the wrong place and should be nearer the academy.

I do see the point you are making, but what I am saying is that the money spent on Blackburn does not represent a good investment when the situation could be resolved by pathing the trains as originally planned.

Although no doubt, as is always the way, the money allocated for Blackburn station could only be used for specific projects and not returned to a more general pot.
Your last paragraph says it all.

If you have a beef, you would be better off campaigning for the projects you have identified rather than negatively, and repetitively, suggesting that the platform 4 roof is a waste of money.

Personally, as it will complete the overall appearance/utilisation of the station, I think it will be money well spent.

boing_uk

I would rather put my campaigning efforts to have the money to maintain my own infrastructure; nothing anyone says will stop DfT and NR from pouring money down the drain on fanciful pet-projects like this when alternatives exist.

So what if my comments are negative; or are dissenting opinions on the development of the rail services not allowed now? Sorry if I upset you, dear.

driver9000

Established Member
Pathing trains through platform 4 (especially those from Colne/York) makes sense and makes better use of the railway. Mainly this is because those trains can come down Whitebirk at up to 70mph before braking for the 50mph PSR through Blackburn, and emerge from the tunnel around 30mph into the platform. If they were to be crossed over to platforms 1 and 2 then they would all receive 2 yellows at Rishton tunnel as the 15mph crossovers are protected under an approach control - this slows trains down and can affect performance, they would be slower departing too over the 20mph at Bolton Junction end of the station. There are a few booked moves that do this though. I think a slightly better pathing arrangement (if interlocking allows) would be to run trains from Clitheroe to Manchester through platform 1 or 2 at certain times as they could run straight down into the station from Daisyfield Junction without crossing over preventing services from Colne and York being held at the signal on Whitebirk which is a fair distance from Daisyfield Junction.

A roof for platform 4 is a welcome addition, as anyone who has stood on that platform in the wind and rain will tell you. I really don't see where the problem is to be honest - it's got to be better than crowding into those little bus shelters that are currently there. The money is also covering new PIS, a lift to platform 4, seating, windbreaks and CCTV too. Flyers were being distributed from last week. Funding has come from the DfTs National station improvements and Access for all schemes (as has the funding for Bolton). When you realise that it isn't 'just a roof' for £1.7m and the cost includes the other items it doesn't seem as bad a deal after all (to me anyway :))
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If money were no object, Blackburn station should be moved back towards Vue, demolishing the station building, straightening the line a bit and putting a bus interchange in the space freed up. But money is an object and will never happen.

How would moving the station back towards Vue straighten the track out? This would create a snake in the line as trains emerging from the tunnel would need to curve round into the new station before curving back out of the station to get back onto the original formation, whereas now they come out of the tunnel onto a relatively straight portion of line that gently curves at Bolton Junction. A deviation towards a new station near Vue would most likely see a lowering of the 50mph PSR too through the station.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Driver 9000, I congratulate you on the way that you have answered the query in operational terms. It is the staff who actually WORK on the system who know the full implications of amendment proposals put by the general travelling public.

I was very pleased to hear of your views on the need for the canopy over the roof of Platform 4....and your comments about "the little bus shelters":D

Status
Not open for further replies.