• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£10 voucher from Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

A few weeks ago I was traveling Virgin from Edinburgh to London in First Class. The train was delayed (in fact, the entire network was delayed due to a fatality down south) by 20 minutes and as a result it left Edinburgh without staff to open the shop.

I wrote to virgin and told them that I flat out refuse to pay for First Class to only be sure of getting a seat with a table - something I could have got by making a reservation in Standard class.

I received a reply from Virgin telling me that their policy for refunds didn't apply to me as I was only delayed 20 minutes - not the required 30 minutes.

She went on to explain how she was 'most concerned' that The Shop was closed and I didn't get any of the free stuff I wanted.

She enclosed a £10 voucher as a gesture of goodwill. Now, £10 is not much but it was 55% of the fair so I can hardly complain. In all, it shows that a carefully worded letter often yields positive results. :)

So, my question is, what should I spend my voucher on? Departing Edinburgh, with a young persons rail card and willing to spend an extra £5 to £10 on a day out on the railways

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
£10 Virgin Voucher or £10 Rail Voucher? Either or, not bad :)

P156KWJ

Established Member
like when I had a cancelled train and 1 really overcrowded train with XC my £13 ranger they sent me a tenner too :D

me123

Established Member
That can get you up to Aberdeen and Inverness on AP fares quite easily, NXEC to Aberdeen being far superior to Scotrail :), and slightly cheaper to boot (well, at least they were in February).

You can also get to Carlisle and the surrounding area if you want to. Depends where you want to go really.

rosscbrown

Aberdeen is somewhere I've never been. Also tempted by Newcastle. Being from Dumfries, I've seen Carlisle more times than I'd like to admit!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
£10 could get you to Cambridge (one way) with change! Book far enough in advance, the singles are £9.20 (YP, Standard class). Earliest departure 0550 arriving 1044, latest back is 1825 arriving 2354. Six hours would be enough for a good wander round the city centre.

A long day, but a different suggestion, and there's plenty of other options along a similar theme. It's amazing how far you can go:
A: on a tenner
or
B: on a day trip

rosscbrown

£10 could get you to Cambridge (one way) with change! Book far enough in advance, the singles are £9.20 (YP, Standard class).

Thanks for the idea. I looked into it and you are right, £9.20 will take me to Cambridge. £9.20 with AP YP and NXEC Online Discount will also take me to London on 4th Feb - I think I'm sold on that. I'll have a think, I've been to London before but never on the East Coast with NXEC, always West Coast with Virgin...

djw1981

Established Member
I hadn't realised London could be so cheap.

Glasgow - Kings Cross on 17 Jan, 16-25 RC, most trains are £12.20. The 1000 and 1540 onwards are £7.90.

The £7.90 single son the Sunday are only on the 0945 and 1045 services, so a short weekend perhaps, but London return for under £16 is nice.....now all I need is a reason....

Status
Not open for further replies.