• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£100m Proposal to redevelop Leicester (London Road)

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

While we're at it, I would look into services from Burton. I know that a west-north chord would be prohibitively expensive. However, using the existing west-south arrangement, and adding a siding for trains to reverse would be a lot cheaper. Burton->Leicester trains would enter this siding, the driver would use a walking route (or a platform) to change ends, and then the train would join the down line. to platform 0, 1 or 2 (mentioned above). If you really wanted to, you could make it a platform open to the public and have a suburban station serving the Knighton Fields area.

I've thought along these lines too. Of course, it would mean a time penalty for anyone wanting to go to central Leicester - but it would still be a train service, which is far better than none. And a simple terminus at Knighton Fields would attract some custom. (I guess it's a bit too far from King Power Stadium to attract much match-day traffic?)

As for relieving Leicester London Rd, how about building a new suburban around 2.5 miles north of Leicester LR, somewhere between Troon Way and Humberstone Lane, serve another area of Leicester and terminate any trains from the south, be they ex Birmingham/Coventry or Burton there?

Plus, of course, the Ivanhoe trains, but these would still terminate at London Rod.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

I guess it's a bit too far from King Power Stadium to attract much match-day traffic?
It would probably be no closer than Leicester Station. But the line goes right past the stadium, so maybe there could be a halt there used only on matchdays, similar to the one at Old Trafford.

BlueFox

As for relieving Leicester London Rd, how about building a new suburban around 2.5 miles north of Leicester LR, somewhere between Troon Way and Humberstone Lane
I'm sure a few years ago I read of proposals to build a new station at Thurmaston. Was that abandoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.