• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£100million investment of South Humberside mainline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/100...n-s-railways/story-28162783-detail/story.html

Network Rail has announced it will pump £100 million of investment into the region's railways - with North East Lincolnshire at the centre of the plans.

The company will replace 100-year old signalling along 60 miles of track between Cleethorpes and Scunthorpe, upgrade 16 level crossings, build two new bridges and complete vital inspection work on dozens more, as well as carry out important maintenance work across the region during a 17-day closure of parts of the network.

Network Rail is assisting the Highways England in building a new road bridge under the railway as part of separate £90 million project to improve access for vehicles along the A160/A180.

Councillor Ray Oxby, leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, said: "To stimulate further investment and growth in our area we need the infrastructure in place to make it happen.....

It looks like Network Rail are spending £100 million on signalling and level crossings between Cleethorpes and Scunthorpe. Aswell as on a seperate £90million deal for a new road bridge 'under' the railway!

This will disrupt service from Cleethorpes to Market Rasen/Doncaster/Gainsborough/Barton from December the 27th to January the 10th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

Yes, the semaphores at Barnetby/Wrawby will be history by the new year 2016.

westv

Established Member
Where's this south Humberside place? I'm sure you meant north east Lincolnshire. ;)

lincolnshire

Where's this south Humberside place? I'm sure you meant north east Lincolnshire. ;)

I also suppose you mean,t North Lincolnshire as well as its has a lot of the area in question in it too.

Should have left in as Humberside, as who,s the Police force and Fire Brigade that covers this area? Guess what Humberside.

To get rid of Humberside for me cost me £50 more council tax and I got a wheelie bin.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member

Network Rail usually calls the Doncaster to Cleethorpes rail line, the South Humberside Mainline. I'm also calling it that as the postal county is South Humberside too (it's still used regardless of what Royal Mail says). The North East Lincolnshire & North Lincolnshire Mainline isn't exactly a great name is it?

The local BBC News has tonight had ASLEF's leader on it, he suggested the driver shortage will get worse before Christmas.
This might mean more than 17 days with no trains.
------
Not to mention all the lovely signal boxes, most of which will go very quickly :( Fortunately I've already been up with my camera to photograph as much as I could.
Any good pictures? They could be posted here as it's relevent.

Francis

Last week I went exploring to take pictures of the boxes about to be decommissioned under the resignalling plan.

Appleby SB, Barnetby East SB, Brocklesby Jnc. SB, Elsham SB, Marsh Jnc. SB, New Barnetby GC, Pasture Street SB, Roxton Sdgs SB, Stallingborough SB, Swinderby SB, Ulceby Jnc. SB, Wrawby Jnc. SB.

The Scunthorpe PSB was only commissioned at Easter 2005 but it seems that will be taken over by York Control as well.

Some of the boxes are listed Grade II - Elsham, Appleby, Brocklesby, Ulceby and Wrawby, so they will remain in some form. See http://www.signalbox.org/last/listed.htm

There were orangemen around at almost every level crossing and signal box preparing for the changeover.
Wrawby Jc box can be seen from a track south of the line, which halts at Barnetby sewage works. From there a public footpath leads diagonally across a ploughed field to a small lake between the Lincoln and Brigg lines. There is a crossing across the Lincoln line from where you can get a good shot of the box, at least with a zoom lens. But don't stand in the tracks doing it!

Barnetby East box is tall and tatty, tall like Kirton Lime sidings box on the Brigg-Gainsborough route.

Brocklesby box is in the old station platform. The redundant station building is an excellent example of Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire architecture.

On the Barton-on-Humber branch there are boxes at Goxhill and Oxmarsh crossing, where the token is picked up for the single line section beyond. There is also a crossing box at New Holland where the pier line used to diverge, but the rails have been tarmacked over.

The boxes on the mainline into Grimsby I'd photographed from the train back in August, but I went looking for Pyewipe Rd box on the industrial estate. The line looks very rusty. I missed Great Coates No 1 box which I think is beside the cycle track going under the A180 flyover

Pasture St box is modern and tatty. Garden St box is a boarded up derelict wreck.

Anyway, then I went down to Louth (old signalbox in somebody's back yard!) and Skegness to Boston. Pity there is so little daylight in December! It was supposed to be fine but it rained most of the day!

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Great Coates No1 is a small white wooden signal box.
Similar to (West) Marsh Junction signal box nearby.
You're right about it's location. It's below the cycle bridge on the North side, but you'd only see the roof from there.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Roxton Sidings is my favorite, both for its design and its location. The isolated country lane and its level crossing will seem ever more lonely once the signal box closes. There is a DVD available (no connection to myself!) covering all the signal boxes that are due to close which is on my Christmas list.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Not to mention all the lovely signal boxes, most of which will go very quickly :( Fortunately I've already been up with my camera to photograph as much as I could.
I have been up there in 2014 and 2015. Managed to photo all the boxes, bar Appleby, Elsham, Grimsby Marsh and Stallingborough so my totals for Lincolnshire - as I have photo'd other boxes in the county as well - is 19 boxes (Barnetby East, Barrow Road, Beckingham, Bellwater Jcn, Brigg, Brocklesby Jcn, Godnow Bridge, Goxhill, Heckington, Hubberts Bridge, Kirton LS, Medge Hall, Northorpe, Roxton Sidings, Skegness, Thorpe Culvert, Ulceby Jcn, Wainfleet and Wrawby Jcn), 231 photos. Some good shots too.

Dave

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
A sort of bump to this thread...

The last passenger service to be worked via the Barnetby East box will be TPE's 1R93 1926 Cleethorpes to Sheffield. I hope they put down some detonators to send the box off in style

Whilst I could accept that the box is old, Stallingborough is less then ten years old and already going to be closed. I have a connection with the old station house there in that my mother's parents lived in there until they both died - many is the time I went to bed on a visit with trains past the bedroom window

Rich_D3167

Last week I went exploring to take pictures of the boxes about to be decommissioned under the resignalling plan.

Appleby SB, Barnetby East SB, Brocklesby Jnc. SB, Elsham SB, Marsh Jnc. SB, New Barnetby GC, Pasture Street SB, Roxton Sdgs SB, Stallingborough SB, Swinderby SB, Ulceby Jnc. SB, Wrawby Jnc. SB.

The Scunthorpe PSB was only commissioned at Easter 2005 but it seems that will be taken over by York Control as well.

Swinderby is between Lincoln & Newark. Nothing to do with the North Lincolnshire resignalling!

Scunthorpe PSB is remaining open after the resignalling this Christmas. Signal boxes east of Scunthorpe PSB, Brigg SB & Holton-le-Moor SB throughout to Cleethorpes are closing. This includes Appleby SB, Elsham SB, Wrawby Junction SB, Barnetby East SB, Brocklesby Junction SB, Ulceby SB, Roxton Sidings SB, Stallingborough SB, Marsh Junction SB & Pasture Street SB.

Alterations at remaining Signal Boxes mean that York ROC will fringe to Scunthorpe PSB, Brigg SB, Holton-le-Moor SB, Goxhill SB, Immingham Reception Sidings SB & Great Coates Sidings No.1 SB.

Crossing keeper positions at New Barnetby LC & Barton Lane LC will disappear in favour of a CCTV crossing & an ABCL respectively. Bystaple Lane LC will retain crossing keeper operation, with supervision from Ulceby SB switching to Goxhill SB.

Of the closing Signal Boxes, Appleby, Elsham, Wrawby Junction & Brocklesby Junction are Grade 2 listed buildings, so they will remain in situ. I am lead to believe that not all of the non-listed buildings (including the listing Barnetby East!) will be demolished during the blockade, remaining until a later block at Easter. Obviously, the answer to that will come conclusive next week.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Swinderby is between Lincoln & Newark. Nothing to do with the North Lincolnshire resignalling!

Scunthorpe PSB is remaining open after the resignalling this Christmas. Signal boxes east of Scunthorpe PSB, Brigg SB & Holton-le-Moor SB throughout to Cleethorpes are closing. This includes Appleby SB, Elsham SB, Wrawby Junction SB, Barnetby East SB, Brocklesby Junction SB, Ulceby SB, Roxton Sidings SB, Stallingborough SB, Marsh Junction SB & Pasture Street SB.

Alterations at remaining Signal Boxes mean that York ROC will fringe to Scunthorpe PSB, Brigg SB, Holton-le-Moor SB, Goxhill SB, Immingham Reception Sidings SB & Great Coates Sidings No.1 SB.

Crossing keeper positions at New Barnetby LC & Barton Lane LC will disappear in favour of a CCTV crossing & an ABCL respectively. Bystaple Lane LC will retain crossing keeper operation, with supervision from Ulceby SB switching to Goxhill SB.

Of the closing Signal Boxes, Appleby, Elsham, Wrawby Junction & Brocklesby Junction are Grade 2 listed buildings, so they will remain in situ. I am lead to believe that not all of the non-listed buildings (including the listing Barnetby East!) will be demolished during the blockade, remaining until a later block at Easter. Obviously, the answer to that will come conclusive next week.

So which boxes are remaining open then? Sorry for asking, but I am still a little confused. I'm surprised that the Stallingbrough one is closing so soon after being built!

Anyone going to travel on the last one worked by the box at Barnetby East?

Rich_D3167

So which boxes are remaining open then? Sorry for asking, but I am still a little confused. I'm surprised that the Stallingbrough one is closing so soon after being built!

Anyone going to travel on the last one worked by the box at Barnetby East?

In the affected area, the boxes remaining open will be:

Immingham Reception Sidings SB, Immingham West SB, Goxhill SB, Oxmarsh SB, Holton-le-Moor SB, Wickenby SB, Langworth SB, Lincoln SCC, Brigg SB, Kirton Lime Sidings SB, Northorpe SB, Gainsborough Central SB, Gainsborough Trent Junction SB & Scunthorpe PSB, with New Barnetby LC & Barton Lane LC being upgraded to CCTV & ABCL crossings respectively. Pyewipe Road SB & Great Coates Sidings No.1 SB (both of these only open "as & when required", as the line sees little use) also remain open, with Immingham East SB closing at a Signal Box, but being retained as a "Token Exchange Point", as the Electric Token Block signalling on the single line to Pyewipe Road SB is being retained.

I agree about the new building at Stallingborough going to waste! I believe at the time it was built, it had the capability of controlling the whole line from Cleethorpes through to at least Brocklesby Junction, & was planned for it to do so. Obviously, that didn't happen, though.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Thanks... I presume that at the boxes remaining open, or at least turned into monitored places, there will still be somebody there? As an aside, when a box closes, what is put in the book?

Which box, at the moment, controls the line from Grimsby Docks to Cleethorpes?

Rich_D3167

Thanks... I presume that at the boxes remaining open, or at least turned into monitored places, there will still be somebody there? As an aside, when a box closes, what is put in the book?

Which box, at the moment, controls the line from Grimsby Docks to Cleethorpes?

I believe something along the lines of "Box decomissioned at xxxx hours", and presumably the 7-5-5 "Closing Signal Box" bell code is sent to the adjacent boxes at a similar time.

Pasture Street SB currently controls the line between Littlefield Lane LC (between Marsh Junction SB & Grimsby Town station) to Cleethorpes.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I believe something along the lines of "Box decomissioned at xxxx hours", and presumably the 7-5-5 "Closing Signal Box" bell code is sent to the adjacent boxes at a similar time.

Pasture Street SB currently controls the line between Littlefield Lane LC (between Marsh Junction SB & Grimsby Town station) to Cleethorpes.

Thanks...

Looks like I'll be making an entry in the "last to" thread in a few days unless anyone else is making the effort to go there

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Just thought - when a box is closed/decommisioned, to where is the train register sent?

Tomnick

Established Member
Just thought - when a box is closed/decommisioned, to where is the train register sent?
Presumably to the same place that train registers were routinely sent when full? I don't know whether other areas are the same, but ours go back to the local office to be kept for two (?) years.

WestRiding

Scunthorpe PSB is not closing. The new North Lincs work station at York ROC will take over from just east of Foreign Ore Junction. As an aside, does the Light Railway from Great Coates through to Humber Road Jn still get traffic, and also anything to/from Grimsby Docks? It was Pasture Street Box that contols Cleethorpes to Grimsby.

Pinza-C55

I guess many of the boxes will end up as derelict hulks like Garden Street, though Brocklesby will make a fabulous greenhouse.
What will happen to the redundant signalling gear ? Since much of it is Great Central related one would hope the GCR might get a late Xmas present ?

grah2702

Although I have not visually confirmed this there was evidently a notice at Pasture Street SB that is was going to be demolished on Christmas Day.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Pinza-C55 said:
I guess many of the boxes will end up as derelict hulks like Garden Street, though Brocklesby will make a fabulous greenhouse.
What will happen to the redundant signalling gear ? Since much of it is Great Central related one would hope the GCR might get a late Xmas present ?
Ulceby box has already been demolished, apparently. It's curious that Garden Street has survived all this time since the 1993 resignalling of the area.

According to one of the signallers who was working Roxton Siding box, every single piece of equipment will be going into storage, to be used as spares for the remaining signal boxes. Seems like a sensible decision rather than chucking it all in a skip!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Yes, Ulceby has gone - I have to admit I burst into tears when I saw some pictures of it... The levers were all still in place as well with them removing the arrangement by mechanical grabber! (not knowing fully the rules about posting links to pictures here that are not mine, I'll send the link by PM to anyone that wants it)

Looking at the ones of Barnetby was truly heartbreaking and it felt like a piece of my very life had died - signal posts just torched through and carted off as just bits of rubbish.

On the plus side of things, I have read that Stallingbrough is staying up as a relay

Pinza-C55

Ulceby box has already been demolished, apparently. It's curious that Garden Street has survived all this time since the 1993 resignalling of the area.

According to one of the signallers who was working Roxton Siding box, every single piece of equipment will be going into storage, to be used as spares for the remaining signal boxes. Seems like a sensible decision rather than chucking it all in a skip!

I suppose it takes a long time for a disused building to fall down through natural causes ? The boxes at Castleford station and Castleford Gates have been disused a similar amount of time with Gates being quite an eyesore now.

Status
Not open for further replies.