• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£11 Thameslink only fare v £10,000 Southern. Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just a fun story for fare rise day.
Unless you bought the southern fare. Then not so much fun. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Closer to the Thameslink fare. Via https://twitter.com/shesgonestella/status/1080430048438640640

View attachment 57449
Well, Single tickets are not regulated, so they are indeed entitled to charge £10,000 on the off chance that the machine will actually let such a transaction process, and that the passenger thinks it necessary in view of the cheaper and equally valid Thameslink only fare!

kristiang85

Established Member
I remember once buying a ticket from London to Oxford online, and the booking engine offered me an upgrade to First Class for £999,999.01.

I decided to stick with my standard ticket.

diffident

I saw this on Sky News, and thought whether inflation had gone mad!!! Mind you, where Southern is concerned, nothing shocks me anymore so it wouldn't surprise me if that's slipped through because no one "identified" it as a mistake along with their other scandalous fares!!

robbeech

Established Member
Most TVM have a limit of transaction regardless of payment type. The Northern TVM will not allow me to purchase a FOR to London for example.

A Challenge

Established Member
The ticket has gone up from normal price to £10000 overnight then, it isn't just a £999+increase?

[.n]

Would be fun to buy (on a day you knew you could claim delay repay!) and then put in the claim

Skie

Would love to see what happened if someone bought it then claimed delay repay :D

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I would definitely buy the "Thameslink Only" ticket, I'm sure that I could use it on Southern as they are the same company after all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, it's valid, but you would get into an argument with the OBS and/or gateline staff (and have you met the ones on platforms 13/14? They call the police quite readily and of course the police don't know it's all the same company so will side with the staff)

It's been done to death before, let's not discuss it again! Do a search...

https://www.google.com/search?q=thameslink+only+site:railforums.co.uk&oq=thameslink+only+site:railforums.co.uk

There really is nothing else to discuss on that matter that hasn't been discussed before .

Last edited:

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Well, it's valid, but you would get into an argument with the OBS and/or gateline staff (and have you met the ones on platforms 13/14? They call the police quite readily and of course the police don't know it's all the same company so will side with the staff)

It's been done to death before, let's not discuss it again! Do a search...

https://www.google.com/search?q=thameslink+only+site:railforums.co.uk&oq=thameslink+only+site:railforums.co.uk

There really is nothing else to discuss on that matter that hasn't been discussed before .
Fair point. If I wanted to travel with Southern couldn't I buy an Any Permitted ticket and save myself over 9000 pounds? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.