£2.50 extra on Oyster for 1 more stop (into Zone 1)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by parkender102, 22 Jul 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parkender102

parkender102 Member

Thanks for the info - just spoke to a very nice man at TFL who has charged me for Hampton Court to Clapham Jct only - £2.40. Refund appears after next touch-in between tomorrow and 8 days later.

2. Matt E Raffles

Matt E Raffles Member

... and while we’re splitting hairs ;) ...

As you are suggesting, all of the journeys wholly on the London Overground are indeed configured for Oyster as TfL local fares, even when the actual price charged appears to be on the NR local tariff. In this way TfL is able to maintain its policy of not charging 5-10 year olds for travel on its services, for example.

The London Overground local journeys which appear to be on the NR local pricing structure are so priced to ensure that they are not undercut by longer journeys along the same corridor that are charged on the (sometimes cheaper) NR tariff. So, for example, Shoreditch High Street to New Cross (which would be priced at £2.80 adult peak on the normal TfL structure) is priced to be no more expensive than Shoreditch High Street to St. Johns (£2.40). In other words, the pricing is cheapest of the TfL local and NR local scales across all fare types. Shoreditch High Street to New Cross Gate, on the other hand, is priced at £2.80, presumably as there are no unfavourable comparisons to be made with Brockley which is also on the TfL scale.

Similar things occur elsewhere on the rail network where TfL fares apply. For example, London Liverpool Street to Tottenham Hale is priced at £3.10 adult peak (rather than £3.20 which is the normal TfL local fare).

3. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Very informative Matt E Raffles

4. londonbridge

londonbridge Member

That's the whole point. I get that there are different rates depending on whether you've used tfl or NR but the layman won't know that, they'll just think 'both journeys are zone A, B, C, D' (or whatever) so why have I been charged different fares'??

5. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Remind me what the whole point of a zonal system was again? That seems like a reasonable layman's interpretation to me, but it doesn't surprise me that its an oversimplification.

6. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

That'll be because the TOCs (with notable exceptions) have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept zonal pricing and Oyster cards in the first place.

The more routes that move under the TfL umbrella, the fewer anomalies there will be.

7. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

Considering the signalling problems on Monday at London Bridge which led to most of the evening peak services cancelled along the Southern section of the ELL, I was on the ELL from Highbury & Islington to Crystal Palace during the evening peak and the train was rammed from the start with Shoreditch High Street even busier than usual, presumably with Southern customers who decided to use the station instead of walking across London Bridge from the City along with Canada Water.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2013
  8. Be3G

Be3G Established Member

It seems, however, that that only works for journeys arriving at Tottenham Hale by National Rail, not London Underground, as the fare to the LU validators is still £3.20. Which means that there's an anomaly in the system: passengers travelling from Liverpool Street to Northumberland Park via Seven Sisters will be charged 10p more than the single fare finder suggests, as they'll have to touch out at Tottenham Hale LU with a charge of £3.20 en-route.

(There probably aren't many passengers who go that route, but it's not as nonsensical as it might seem, as most Northumberland Park trains have originated from Stratford.)

I remember repeatedly getting stung at TOM with a similar issue a few years ago, and despite complaining (even to London TravelWatch who didn't bother responding) nothing was done at the time. It stems from the fact that an Oyster seemingly unable to ever revise a fare downwards when receiving new information, only upwards. So if, thanks to the differing Oyster fare scales, your through journey has a lower price than the journey from your origin to an en-route OSI, you're stuffed.

9. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, that's a good point. It means that some journeys cost more in one direction than the other. I had to get MikeWh to go through it with me a couple of times before I could get my head round it.

This forum is only going to get busier and busier if more PAYG smartcard systems are rolled out throughout the network. I also can't wait to see what happens when they all start interfacing with each other. It's going to be a right farce, and there will be anomalies galore.:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.