• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£200 Leeds to Wembley Park!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4t7y

Hi there, a friend of mine has recommended this site for all rail queries, I am hoping you guys can help me. We arn't big rail users if I'm honest, so finding prices at £200 is a fair bit more I am willling to spend, as I can drive for about £120 in petrol.
Me and the Mrs are going to London on 11/06/2011 and returning the next day. We require an open ticket on return as we are unsure what time we will have finished doing what we are doing.

We need 2 tickets from Leeds (betwen 9am and 12 noon) to Wembley Park (nearest station to our hotel), and 2 open tickets back again.

We will also need 2 tickets which allow us to travel around London by Rail and Bus for the evening of 11/06/2011.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Matthew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Leeds - Manchester Picadilly
£18.70 SOR

Manchester - London Euston
£23.50 out (Advance)
£35.00 return (Saver Half Return)

Zone 1-4 day travelcard
£7.30 (For reference Wembley Park is in Zone 4)

Total = £84.50 for one or £169 for 2.

If you get an Oyster card then you can reduce the cost of your travel in London. The idea behind this is that Virgin offer saver half returns on their services which is meant for people who don't know when they'll be returning and can go out on a cheap advance ticket

Watch this space though: someone is bound to find a better route.

mikeg

Established Member
Are you eligible for a railcard (aged 16-25 or full time student, in the armed forces, over 60 or meet certain disability criteria?) If so, it may be worth getting one just for the journey.

Edit: SS4, why are you recommending an SOR from Leeds to Manchster? Surely a SVR is appropriate?

m4t7y

Are you eligible for a railcard (aged 16-25 or full time student, in the armed forces, over 60 or meet certain disability criteria?) If so, it may be worth getting one just for the journey.

No, neither meet any of the criteria.

Thanks

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Unfortunately it is still the case that most Off-Peak return tickets are essentially the same price as a single, so there's no advantage being able to specify a train in only one direction. In this case, Leeds-London Off Peak Return is £88.60, single is £87.60.

Are you willing to go an indirect route, or to take slower trains?

If you go via Manchester, Virgin allow you to buy an Advance ticket in one direction and a half-price single in the other.

For your travel in London, I'd recommend getting an Oyster card from any Underground station. Alternatively, if you're going to travel quite a bit, buy a paper Travelcard covering the zones you need (probably Z1-4). Under no circumstances buy seperate tickets for Underground or bus journeys!

m4t7y

£18.70 SOR

£23.50 out (Advance)

Zone 1-4 day travelcard

If you get an Oyster card then you can reduce the cost of your travel in London. The idea behind this is that Virgin offer saver half returns on their services which is meant for people who don't know when they'll be returning and can go out on a cheap advance ticket

So is £169 including rail and bus travel in London?

Does it cost to get an Oyster card?

Many thanks

mikeg

Established Member
The £169 includes a day travelcard which will allow you to travel around London zones 1-4. Oyster cards, last time I went to London cost a £3 returnable deposit. So long as you keep it in good condition you can get your £3 back.

And since nobody has mentioned, don't use thetrainline or raileasy to book train tickets, use a train company website as these don't charge booking fees (or book at your local staffed station).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you don't mind being a bit slower going via Sheffield then:

Leeds – Sheffield
Route Not Doncaster
Anytime Return
£11.90

Sheffield - London Terminals
Route Chesterfield
Super Off-Peak Return
£63.50

plus

London Zones 1-4
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£7.30

That makes £82.70 each.

There might be other splits.

sonic2009

Established Member
Where abouts do you live in Leeds m4t7y. not your actuall adress just your locality..

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
The £169 includes a day travelcard which will allow you to travel around London zones 1-4. Oyster cards, last time I went to London cost a £3 returnable deposit. So long as you keep it in good condition you can get your £3 back.

And since nobody has mentioned, don't use thetrainline or raileasy to book train tickets, use a train company website as these don't charge booking fees.

I understand that, apart from a few machines, the refundable deposit is now £5.
I don't know where these machines are though

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Or for the cheap, but taking ages:

£18.70 SOR

£23.50 out (Advance)

Zone 1-4 day travelcard

Leeds - Manchester Stations
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Return
£18.40

Manchester Stations - Stoke-on-Trent
Route Virgin Trains Only
Anytime Return
£11.00

Stoke-on-Trent - London Terminals
Route London Midland Only
Super Off-Peak Return
£22.50

plus

London Zones 1-4
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£7.30

Total: £59.20 each

sonic2009

Established Member
Or for the cheap, but taking ages:

Leeds - Manchester Stations
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Return
£18.40

Manchester Stations - Stoke-on-Trent
Route Virgin Trains Only
Anytime Return
£11.00

Stoke-on-Trent - London Terminals
Route London Midland Only
Super Off-Peak Return
£22.50

plus

London Zones 1-4
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£7.30

Total: £59.20 each

Surely the Super Off Peak Return would not work on the outward journey the op said between 9 and 12?

mikeg

Established Member
Surely the Super Off Peak Return would not work on the outward journey the op said between 9 and 12?

But isn't the 11th a Saturday? In which case it's valid anytime.

sonic2009

Established Member
I can get you a return to London St Pancras from Bradford Interchange with megabusplus www.ukmegabus.com

Leaving Bradford Interchange 07:15 Sat 11/06 on a Coach to East Midlands Parkway arr 10:20 outside the main entrance and you change to a train at East Midlands dep 10:41 and arrive in to London at 12:13. Now yes i understand being on a coach may not be ideal but this journey for both of you will cost £18.00.. Yes £18.00

Now Coming Back On the Sunday

Leaving London St Pancras at 15:30 on the train to East Midlands Parkway arriving at 17:31 and dep 17:45 again on the coach from the front of the station arrving back in to Bradford Interchange for 20:15, this again is £18.00 for both of you..

So total right now £36.00... then you need your travel around London, Oyster would be the best way as you only pay for the journeys you use..

The cost of this would be £5.00 x 2 Oyster Card Deposit
Then a Top-Up of £10.00 each, this is to cover you on if you travel around London a few times on the Saturday Night, you will not be charged more than £7.30. This is the price cap and the same if you were to buy a Paper Travelcard and then the £2.50 to get you from Wembley Park to London St Pancras on the Saturday.

you can order you card online from here : https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do. but don't know how long it takes to come to you..

So Total Cost is : £66.00 for both of you ....

it's not an open ticket but it's cheap for you.. leaving you more spending money :P

Hope all this info helps..

Last edited:

m4t7y

Sorry guys I have just got back in. I will read through the replies now.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to help.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Where abouts do you live in Leeds m4t7y. not your actuall adress just your locality..

I live in a little village called Liversedge. Bradford interchange is actually closer but I presumed Leeds would be the station to use for cheaper travel.

sonic2009

Established Member

I live in a little village called Liversedge. Bradford interchange is actually closer but I presumed Leeds would be the station to use for cheaper travel.

Well that option may be okay for you. but it's your choice.

Yes if you book in advance, but this megabusplus is run by stagecoach using the megabusbrand hence you get a bus to east midlands parkway, and then a stagecoach train to london.. for 2 people to get to London that's cheap ")

m4t7y

I can get you a return to London St Pancras from Bradford Interchange with megabusplus www.ukmegabus.com

Leaving Bradford Interchange 07:15 Sat 11/06 on a Coach to East Midlands Parkway arr 10:20 outside the main entrance and you change to a train at East Midlands dep 10:41 and arrive in to London at 12:13. Now yes i understand being on a coach may not be ideal but this journey for both of you will cost £18.00.. Yes £18.00

Now Coming Back On the Sunday

Leaving London St Pancras at 15:30 on the train to East Midlands Parkway arriving at 17:31 and dep 17:45 again on the coach from the front of the station arrving back in to Bradford Interchange for 20:15, this again is £18.00 for both of you..

So total right now £36.00... then you need your travel around London, Oyster would be the best way as you only pay for the journeys you use..

The cost of this would be £5.00 x 2 Oyster Card Deposit
Then a Top-Up of £10.00 each, this is to cover you on if you travel around London a few times on the Saturday Night, you will not be charged more than £7.30. This is the price cap and the same if you were to buy a Paper Travelcard and then the £2.50 to get you from Wembley Park to London St Pancras on the Saturday.

you can order you card online from here : https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do. but don't know how long it takes to come to you..

So Total Cost is : £66.00 for both of you ....

it's not an open ticket but it's cheap for you.. leaving you more spending money :P

Hope all this info helps..

This is great, but.......we are travelling to London because the Mrs has been accepted to take part in Simon Cowell's new show, Red or Black. They said in their email that we could potentially be in the venue untill 16:30. If this was the case then a 15:30 depart from London isn't possible.

Am I aswel just ordering the Oyster cards? How do you top them up, and how do you get the £10 deposit back?

She would prefer to use the train all the way, I'm not fussed. Aslong as we can break even on what the petrol stands to cost us I'm happy. While we are there, we are wanting to eat in China Town, no other plans than that...YET.
Oyster cards ordered with £10 credit. :)

mikeg

Established Member
If going from Bradford Interchange there's always grand central's Grand Central only tickets.
£134 for both of you, although only three trains back from King's Cross are Grand Central trains on a sunday

Outward options on the Saturday are 0651, arriving at 1009
1022, arriving at 1346 or the 1522, arriving at 1845

Return wise you're looking at 1148, arriving back at 1450
1548 arriving at 1850
or 1927 arriving at 2232.

These are all direct services and you can buy the ticket on the day at the station or even on the train. Just ask for a Grand Central only off peak return.
Calls at Halifax, Brighouse, Wakefield Kirkgate, Potefract Monkhill and Doncaster, if any of these stations are closer still.
You can also treat yourself to a £15 weekend first class upgrade each way.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
good you ordered the oyster cards.. well there's a later megabus on the Sunday at 19:30 same principles of change at east midlands parkway. but yes grand central are a good option.. if you know that you there until 4:30 and the grand central is at half 7 look for advances :)

mikeg

Established Member
And oh yes, Grand Central's singles are somewhat cheaper than the return, unlike with East Coast. That means that booking an advance one way and going Grand Central the other is also an option. Two off peak singles on Grand Central cost £98, though I doubt you'll find two advances for £36 this late.

m4t7y

I'm confused. Where do you guys get these prices? :shock:
I would feel more comfortable ordering my tickets in advance so there are no surprises at the station or on the train. I have been on Grand Central's site, and they are still quoting £186 open return.

She has said categorically that she doesn't want to go down the coach to Midlands route, so direct or drive is now my only option. Time to trade her in :lol:

mikeg

Established Member
Are you sure you are putting london kings cross as your destination and not Wembley Park? Your Oyster card will cover you from Kings Cross to Wembley. And don't tick open return. You want an off peak return. Or try another website. It'll be the same price on eastcoast.co.uk or redspottedhanky.com, which have a more intuitive user interface. In this case I recommend redspottedhanky.com for no delivery fees and loyalty points, but if you want to book an advance on East Coast, go to eastcoast.co.uk for money off East Coast advances. Or book in advance at your local staffed station. Booking in advance for Grand Central trains has no advantage other than you get a reservation, so will be (almost) guaranteed to not be standing, though this is unlikely on an East Coast service, and extremely unlikely on Grand Central anyway.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Indeed, on the Grand Central option, don't go for open return, put in to come back the next day at around 19:30 and it gives you the £67 off peak option x2.

Granted, you could be finished whatever needs to be done in mid afternoon, but its not as if there is nothing to do in London to fill the time!

MadCommuter

In no way do I mean to criticise anyone or put anyone down, but this is a classic example of the complicated fares system we have in the UK. Good luck to the OP in getting a good deal...Grand Central seems the best option and saves any hassle getting to Leeds. Also good luck to your Mrs on the show!

m4t7y

In no way do I mean to criticise anyone or put anyone down, but this is a classic example of the complicated fares system we have in the UK. Good luck to the OP in getting a good deal...Grand Central seems the best option and saves any hassle getting to Leeds. Also good luck to your Mrs on the show!

Thanks MadC, heres hoping she can progress and win me...I mean us a cool £1,000,000 :D

I must admit I am finding it quite confusing. I am going to go to the train station tomorrow and see if they can help me with Grand Central tickets.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.