• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£200 Leeds to Wembley Park!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
In no way do I mean to criticise anyone or put anyone down, but this is a classic example of the complicated fares system we have in the UK. Good luck to the OP in getting a good deal...Grand Central seems the best option and saves any hassle getting to Leeds. Also good luck to your Mrs on the show!

But looking at it another way, a £67 return (each) option with Grand Central is not a bad deal nor is complicated. Obviously the complication arises when we have to delve into splitting tickets, not everyone will be aware these options exist but it does dispel the myth (for me anyway :D) that all tickets are overly expensive.

Naturally those used to split ticketing and taking advanced fares will see Bradford to London for that price as expensive, however, the casual user would see £134 as very reasonable considering the OP (not a regular traveller) was quoting £120 in fuel, without wear and tear on the vehicle and the hassle of driving the journey, not to mention potential parking costs at the capital.

As it stands though, you are right, the OP has initially looked at these very fares and become unstuck with not knowing which option to select (not his fault) so was quoted much more for what he believed to be the same ticket. Many would just take this £186 fare for two as the norm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
They should be able to help you and sell you them there and then. Just enquire about a grand central only off peak return from Bradford to London for the 11th. They also should be able to make seat reservations.

m4t7y

But looking at it another way, a £67 return (each) option with Grand Central is not a bad deal nor is complicated. Obviously the complication arises when we have to delve into splitting tickets, not everyone will be aware these options exist but it does dispel the myth (for me anyway :D) that all tickets are overly expensive.

Naturally those used to split ticketing and taking advanced fares will see Bradford to London for that price as expensive, however, the casual user would see £134 as very reasonable considering the OP (not a regular traveller) was quoting £120 in fuel, without wear and tear on the vehicle and the hassle of driving the journey, not to mention potential parking costs at the capital.

As it stands though, you are right, the OP has initially looked at these very fares and become unstuck with not knowing which option to select (not his fault) so was quoted much more for what he believed to be the same ticket. Many would just take this £186 fare for two as the norm.

I must admit, I found the prices expensive. But when you compare them to travelling in my car then you soon realise they are reasonable.

My Evo averages around 20-22mpg, which would work out at around £120 in fuel. Then as you say, there is wear and tear and time driving rather than relaxing on the train. The manager at the hotel we are using said we could use their car park until after the event, so no parking issues there.

If the people at the station can issue some tickets around the quoted prices above then I will enjoy the advantages of train travel.

Is it worth the extra upgrading to first on a Saturday?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi there, a friend of mine has recommended this site for all rail queries, I am hoping you guys can help me. We arn't big rail users if I'm honest, so finding prices at £200 is a fair bit more I am willling to spend, as I can drive for about £120 in petrol.
Me and the Mrs are going to London on 11/06/2011 and returning the next day. We require an open ticket on return as we are unsure what time we will have finished doing what we are doing.

We need 2 tickets from Leeds (betwen 9am and 12 noon) to Wembley Park (nearest station to our hotel), and 2 open tickets back again.

We will also need 2 tickets which allow us to travel around London by Rail and Bus for the evening of 11/06/2011.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Matthew
I'll concentrate on the London bits of this. I note you've already ordered Oyster cards, but for anyone else considering this sort of thing you might need to consider that the travelcard option is one-day only. The Oyster will cover you for both days and will cap at the appropriate day travelcard on each day if necessary. Zones 1-4 is £7.30 as mentioned.

The £169 includes a day travelcard which will allow you to travel around London zones 1-4. Oyster cards, last time I went to London cost a £3 returnable deposit. So long as you keep it in good condition you can get your £3 back.
I don't think the condition is particularly important. I got my deposit back after my card had been through the washing machine and tumble dryer!

I understand that, apart from a few machines, the refundable deposit is now £5.
I don't know where these machines are though
They are at Central London Underground stations. They take £5 in coins and give you £2 as credit. The machines are being phased out but are still available at the moment.
How do you top them up, and how do you get the £10 deposit back?

You can use just about any rail or Underground ticket machine in London, or ticket offices at all Underground or Overground stations. With ticket machines you can add absolutely any amount, at ticket offices there may be a minimum top-up of £5. You can also visit shops displaying the "Oyster ticket stop" stickers in the window.

You should be able to get the refund of the deposit and any unused credit from any Underground station. The only issue might be how you paid for the deposit. I understand that ticket offices might only refund if originally paid with cash. There is also an address to send them to which is: Oyster Refunds, 4th floor Red Zone, 14 Pier Walk, North Greenwich, London SE10 0ES.

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
Well, you get a comfier seat and extra legroom, but the seats in standard class on Grand Central already have plenty of legroom and are comfy.
Plus you get complimentary refreshments, and if you want to order a meal, at seat service, whereas in standard you have to go to the buffet car yourself. Personally, I'd see what you think on the day to the standard class seating, take a peek at the first class seating arrangements and decide from there. The upgrade is after all only available on the train.

John @ home

Established Member
I live in a little village called Liversedge. Bradford interchange is actually closer but I presumed Leeds would be the station to use for cheaper travel.
From Liversedge, the most convenient station to catch the direct Bradford - Kings Cross train may well be Brighouse. All Grand Central's Bradford - London services call there.

m4t7y

From Liversedge, the most convenient station to catch the direct Bradford - Kings Cross train may well be Brighouse. All Grand Central's Bradford - London services call there.

I'm going down to Brighouse station to see what they can do.

Thanks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you want to use Grand Central, simply board the train and pay £67 each. It isn't any cheaper to buy in advance.

There is no need to buy the ticket in advance at somewhere Dewsbury; you'd just be inconveniencing yourself by going out of your way unnecessarily. The price is the same. Simply board and pay the conductor.

And it's always worth letting us know whereabouts you are based. Leeds is not necessarily cheaper, and the car park there is quite expensive.

Let us know how you get on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.