• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£240m cost of fare dodging on the railways - top 10 ‘dodgy’ excuses revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I haven't seen this posted yet so Have a look at this from ATOC:

Fare dodgers are depriving other passengers and the rail network of an estimated £240 million a year, according to new figures published by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC).
Those who choose to travel without buying a ticket are estimated to be making more than 120,000 train journeys each and every day on the rail network. Train companies are determined to take a firm but fair approach to fare dodging and have spent over £21millon on installing ticket barriers and random ticket checks.
The figures come as train companies publish a list of some of the more memorable excuses used by passengers found travelling without a ticket.
Examples of excuses given by fare dodgers for not buying a ticket include:- “I just got out of jail, and the police said I could travel for free.”

“I’ve just been getting my nails done and I’m not going to get them broken by buying a ticket.”
"My mum’s got my ticket and we buried her this morning."
"I don't need a ticket as I'm getting a lift back."
“I only got on the train to use the toilet and it left while I was in there.”
“I fell through the door and landed on a seat.”
“I thought it was free on a Sunday.”
“The bloke told me last week to buy a ticket, but this week I forgot.”
"The guy at the station said you don't need tickets for these trains."
“I've never paid before so I don't see why I should pay now.”
The hundreds of millions of pounds lost every year due to fare dodging is money train operators could otherwise invest in further improving services for passengers.

It is estimated that the £240m currently lost every year due to fare dodging would be enough to:
- Lease over 1,500 extra commuter carriages, or;
- Lease around 920 extra inter-city carriages for longer distance journeys, or;
- Pay for the upkeep of around 450 stations for the next five years.

Train companies have a number of safeguards in place aimed at ensuring that customers unable to buy a ticket are not given a penalty fare. Staff are regularly updated about ticket machines which may not be working and other circumstances which may prevent people from buying tickets. Passengers should check with their train operator what its policies are on ticketing and fare evasion.

David Mapp, Commercial Director for the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC), said: “For the large majority of honest passengers who do pay for their ticket it is frustrating that ‘dodgy’ excuses by a selfish minority end up sucking millions of pounds out of the railways each year. That’s money train companies and passengers would rather see going back into further improving services.

“Train companies deal with fare dodgers in a fair but firm manner. Where there is a genuine reason for someone travelling without a ticket, train companies will use their discretion. Strong deterrents are in place to ensure that the majority of passengers don’t end up paying for the few who think they can always get away without having to buy a ticket.”

Link - http://www.atoc.org/media-centre/la...n-the-railways-top-10-dodgy-excuses-revealed/

Some of those excuses are pretty far fetched but all genuine excuses used on a daily basis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
It is estimated that the £240m currently lost every year due to fare dodging would be enough to:

This is a bit spurious because if there was a crackdown, some fare dodgers wouldn't use the train anyway - they're only using trains now because they get a free ride.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Of course the money could be use to pay for more guards to check tickets and ensure everyone is paying their way!

tbtc

Veteran Member
That's a good press release - the one which the TV License people put out each year (?) seems to get a lot of media attention, encourages people to have a good laugh at other people's stupidity/ desperation whilst reinforcing the message that the license needs to be paid.

Hopefully ATOC can encourage the idea that fare dodgers are "costing" other passengers money, make it seem like anti-social behaviour

TheWalrus

Established Member

This is a bit spurious because if there was a crackdown, some fare dodgers wouldn't use the train anyway - they're only using trains now because they get a free ride.
but then how do they get about?

shotayo

Not sure about the £240M figure if you extrapolate this : 300 days would give you 36 million journeys which would give the average fare evasion of £6.67. clearly £6.67 would drop if you increased the number of days from 300 to 340

Captain Chaos

Not sure about the £240M figure if you extrapolate this : 300 days would give you 36 million journeys which would give the average fare evasion of £6.67. clearly £6.67 would drop if you increased the number of days from 300 to 340

Not everyone is doing a couple of quid a time though. You'll be surprised the amount people get away with. I caught someone last week who asked to buy a ticket from Guildford. Normally it's a case of people using the gate passes and hoping to get away with it but this guy didn't fit the bill. So I asked a few more questions and asked to see the other tickets in his wallet I could see. Turns out he has been buying a ticket from Weybridge to Addlestone and blagging the rest. The amount he was doing it for was £16 per day. I saw him again yesterday. He now has a weekly from Weybridge. So I suppose you could say that's some sort of success.

Antman

Established Member

Very true...........in fact I heard somebody boasting that he regularly travels for free on the trains and justifies it by saying he is "helping the environment by not going by car" and that it doesn't cost anymore to run the train because he was onboard and the train company don't know so it is a "victimless crime" anyway :roll:

SGS

Surely we'd all agree that this money would be better used as extra remuneration for TOC executives? They've got to be incentivised somehow.

Lampshade

Established Member
Halve that figure and you'll be closer to the actual cost of fare evasion. ATOC have about as much credibility when it comes to figures as the Department for Work and Pensions.

stut

Established Member
The annoying thing with all of this is that when you do actually have an excuse that fits into one of the unbelievable categories, it's, well... Unbelievable.

(As an example, I had some pre-booked, discounted tickets from Guildford to Havant. However, on arrival at Guildford, there was a complete local comms failure, so they were unable to get the tickets, but also unable to sell me new ones with a CC, and the cashpoint was unable to dispense any money. I asked the dispatcher for advice, and he said it was no problem, he'd speak to the guard, I should just get on board. Except he didn't speak to the guard, so I found myself having to say "but the man on the platform said..." As it happens, I managed to argue my case eventually, and got the tickets printed at Havant.)

Oswyntail

Established Member
Halve that figure and you'll be closer to the actual cost of fare evasion. ATOC have about as much credibility when it comes to figures as the Department for Work and Pensions.
Absolutely. No one knows, because the fares are being evaded. What they have done is taken figures of those caught and extrapolated. But it is possible that those caught are the only ones without a ticket (I can hear Flamingo's hollow laughter from here); or that only members of this forum actually buy tickets. Or even that the revenue staff are ultra efficient and the figures given are for actual documented fare evaders - in which case "well done chaps". My hunch is that it's a wild guess. But, as has been said, this is a good Press Release.

tsr

Established Member
The annoying thing with all of this is that when you do actually have an excuse that fits into one of the unbelievable categories, it's, well... Unbelievable.

Indeed - like the time I missed not just my booked train but the one after because of a glitch in the TOD system when printing the required tickets, so had to rely on my ticket being accepted on the wrong trains on the basis that "the ticket office staff told me not to show the details of the correct train on the Advance, and not to worry". It can be quite hard getting grumpy ticket office staff to endorse a ticket which they've just taken 10 minutes to print off... and I wasn't going to miss the next train.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Spot the difference between the above press release and the one they released in Sept 2011. http://www.atoc.org/media-centre/pr...odging-on-the-railways-figures-reveal-100621/

Fare dodgers are depriving the rail network and other passengers of an estimated £200m a year, according to figures published by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) which represents Britain’s train operators.

Fare dodgers who choose to travel without buying a ticket are estimated to be making more than 110,000 train journeys each and every day on the rail network.

The figures come as train companies publish a list of some of the more memorable excuses used by passengers caught travelling without a ticket.

Examples of excuses given by fare dodgers for not buying a ticket include:-

“I’m related to the queen so I don’t need a ticket.”

“I'm in the Zimbabwean SAS, on covert ops.”

“Don't you know who I am?”

“What's a ticket?”

“Do I need a ticket? I thought the railway was free.”

“If the ticket man doesn't see me then I don't need one.”

“I’m a freeman of the land, I don’t recognise the law and the law does not apply to me.”

An adult travelling with a child ticket said “I thought I was a child until I was 21.”

A passenger claimed he did not buy a ticket because “I didn't think you would accept my fare."

“I thought by hiding in the luggage rack you wouldn’t see me.”

The hundreds of millions of pounds lost every year due to fare dodging is money train operators could otherwise invest in improving services for passengers.

It is estimated that the £200m currently lost every year due to fare dodging would be enough to:

- Lease over 1,300 extra commuter carriages, or;
- Lease around 800 extra inter-city carriages for longer distance journeys, or;
- Pay for the upkeep of around 380 stations for the next five years.

Train companies have a number of safeguards in place aimed at ensuring that customers unable to buy a ticket are not given a penalty fare. Staff are regularly updated about ticket machines which may not be working and other circumstances which may prevent people from buying tickets. Passengers should check with their train operator what its policies are on ticketing and fare evasion.

David Mapp, Commercial Director for the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC), said:
“It’s frustrating for the vast majority of honest passengers who do pay for their ticket when fare dodgers’ selfish actions suck millions of pounds out of the railways each year. That’s money both train companies and passengers alike would rather see going back into further improving services.

“Train companies deal with fare dodgers in a fair but firm manner. Where there is a genuine reason for someone travelling without a ticket, train companies will always use their discretion. Strong deterrents are in place to ensure that the vast majority of passengers don’t end up paying for the few who think they can get away without buying a ticket.

“As these excuses show, there are always some people who choose to spend time thinking up an excuse rather than buying a ticket.”

Notes to editors

- Based on evidence from train companies’ initiatives to detect fare dodgers, ATOC estimates that between 3% and 5% of journeys made on the network every day are made without tickets. Applying the conservative lower estimate of 3%, 40.7m journeys were made last year by fare evaders. Multiplying the number of journeys by the average price paid for a ticket, £4.89, ATOC estimates that around £199million is lost to fare evasion.

- Train companies and Network Rail spend £1.25bn every five years on renewing and maintaining the country’s train stations. £200m represents around 15% of that expenditure. There are just over 2,500 stations in the country. Therefore, £200m would pay for the equivalent of the upkeep of around 380 stations for the next five years.

- For £200m per year, it is estimated that train companies could lease and maintain around 1,300 extra train carriages of the type typically used for commuter trains or around 800 extra carriages of the type typically used for inter-city trains.

- Train companies work within rigorous rules set out by an Act of Parliament and the Department for Transport to ensure that they deal with fare dodgers in manner that is firm but fair.

- All staff authorised to collect penalty fares have gone through thorough training for the job to ensure that they know all aspects of the law. They are also trained in conflict avoidance.

-Most train operators expect passengers to buy a ticket before they board a train. A small number of train companies allow passengers to pay their fare on the train – this will be made clear at the station before you start your journey. In all cases, passengers must have a valid ticket in order to make their train journey.
ENDS

monty9120

i saw this at work

i could help laughing at the one

'i fell through the door and landed on a seat'

whoever made that up is a genius

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The other month someone told me they were an undercover MI5 agent and they were chasing a suspect. I was assisting another customer at the time who had a ticketing irregularity so did not have time to deal with this guy, but he did make me laugh :lol:

dysonsphere

-Most train operators expect passengers to buy a ticket before they board a train. A small number of train companies allow passengers to pay their fare on the train – this will be made clear at the station before you start your journey. In all cases, passengers must have a valid ticket in order to make their train journey.

Well in the case of my local station (Longton) Ive never spotted a notice to pay on train it seems to be assumed if youre getting on there you know the rountine.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

I thought all the lines were full so where are all these carriages fitting in?

Status
Not open for further replies.