• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£50 fine for dropping....a fruit salad wrapper?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy

Established Member
Hmmmm, this is the third time this has happened, and its never the chavs they catch :angry7:

Clicky

Jordy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

It's one of those laws that is there to make money any way they can.
Try it on my kids and the local council will know what's what.
If the kid had smash a window,stole from a shop,nicked a car or suchlike he would have got away with it.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The problem is that our cities' streets are become filled with litter. There has to be some kind of measure to stop it, and I believe the fines are a good idea in principle. It is also wrong to say 'well, he's only 13', because many kids that age will have been littering for years knowing full well that it was wrong. The other issue is, you can't really treat people differently, just if they look dodgy/chavvy. Would be obvious discrimination.

However, it seems that in this individual case the punishment doesn't really fit the crime, and there needs instead to be a system for repeat offenders and some kind of decent witness system. Also, the police do seem to have gone way over the top, as the litter dropped is certainly not significant and probably not even visible.

It's a fine line for the police to tread when making a decision such as this and it obviously needs to be made clearer.

Tom B

Established Member
Trouble is, you let one off then another comes and says "well you let x off, so I should be let off too" and so it goes on...

ChrisM

He was an easy target,imagine if there were 5/6 adults on the way back from a pub and dropping litter would they had stopped them,very doubtful.
Dropping litter is not good but kids that age should be educated :p not to litter the country.
He will probaly go out mugging now to pay the fine.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChrisM said:
Dropping litter is not good but kids that age should be educated :p not to litter the country.
He will probaly go out mugging now to pay the fine.

They are educated - many ignore it ;)

But I'm afraid it's often the case that regular offenders do not get caught.

bloogrape

bottom line no matter who you are, if your going to drop litter you should be fined, its nasty. its disrespectful and i dont care if your under the legal consent age you should be liable for your actions as regards to the litter.

Ok this may seem strong and if you use the litterbin then its ok. i will not read the orginal post but i think that you shouldnt say "oh thats a bit much" or "its bit petty" if you lived in a nice area why should locals have to pickup!

Dave A

I like the little link at the top of that page that says "More Headlines".

Must be the most excitement Grimsby has had in year :sign5:

ChrisM

bloogrape said:
bottom line no matter who you are, if your going to drop litter you should be fined, its nasty. its disrespectful and i dont care if your under the legal consent age you should be liable for your actions as regards to the litter.

Ok this may seem strong and if you use the litterbin then its ok. i will not read the orginal post but i think that you shouldnt say "oh thats a bit much" or "its bit petty" if you lived in a nice area why should locals have to pickup!
You are so wrong and must be stupid if you think he deserves it look what his mum said :
"He takes our dog Smudge out for a walk every day and takes a carrier bag and makes sure he picks up after him". :laughing:

Proves he's a good lad. :rolleyes:

DLA365

The wardens most probably won't try and catch a gang of hooded youths, because they will be too scared to even approach them!

So they pick on an innocent-looking, humble young lad.

No wonder teenagers go around in groups/gangs - because even the law enforcers are too scared to go near them.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
David said:
I like the little link at the top of that page that says "More Headlines".

Must be the most excitement Grimsby has had in year :sign5:

Yeah Jordy, at least Hull has real news :p ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, remember everybody:

1. It's never dull in Hull
2. Grimsby = Grim 365 days of the year :p

We even got the class 185s first :D;)

Why shouldn't the kid get told off for dropping litter? If a kid trespasses on the railway line is it right to let them off becasue "they are just a kid"? No, it's not. It might not be the same as walking on a railway line but it is antisocial and everyone has to start somewhere... Remeber what the press are like, anything to make an organization look bad... Do you honestly think that the wrapper "fell out of his hand"?...

Status
Not open for further replies.