‘a coach becoming uncoupled on this train earlier today’

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by talltim, 21 Jan 2020.

1. talltim

talltim Established Member

Yesterday the 17:43 Norwich service was announced as running late at Sheffield due to ‘a coach becoming uncoupled on this train earlier today’ looking at RTT it was 13 mins late leaving Liverpool and progressively lost time but with no big jumps that you would expect if something had happened to the train
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/ ... 2020-01-20
    The inbound service https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C64597/2020-01-20/detailed
    spent 25 minutes at Nottingham, ten longer than scheduled so I wonder if it was a case of having trouble coupling rather than anything more dramatic, but it seems a bit of an alarming announcement to make!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Mogster

Mogster Member

We had that automated announcement at Oxford Road as well.

4. Edders23

Edders23 Member

Maybe someone with an axe to grind wanted to cause problems ? otherwise it seems an odd announcement to make

5. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

I suspect they may have had trouble connecting the trains. It was made up of 2x 153 and a 156 so there might have been some difficulty connecting it all.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

7. TUC

TUC Established Member

The problem is that 'operational difficulties' is an utterly useless phrase in making passengers feel they have had a reasonable explanation.

8. 156420

156420 Member

It is;

However I’d have used this reason in Tyrell

“a fault occurring when detaching a part of this train”

9. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

It is, though you would expect some safety-related stuff to get masked - you wouldn't expect "due to a train crash".

10. 3270

3270 Member

TRUST showed the westbound service (1R78) having a unit swap at Nottingham from a 158 to a 156+153+153. Someone needs to get a grip of these dumbed down public explanations (or at least use the right ones) as the wording is often very poor and just makes the industry look stupid. I seem to recall commenting last week on a delay reason that said a train was late due to 'a speed restriction due to heat' (in January!) when in actual fact the delay code used in TRUST meant a blanket speed restriction due to wind or heat (and in this case was due to high winds).

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

Yeah, as 3270 has said there was a set swap at Nottingham, though if I remember right there was some issue with coupling the units. Initially the delay was down to a set swap, then recoded to coupling fault, now it seems to have ended up down to the reason for the set swap, late running caused by a possession overrun at Cheadle Hulme at approx 05:20 that morning.

12. 158747

158747 Member

A couple of years ago I was on a train delayed by a passenger being taken ill and the train having to wait for an ambulance to arrive. On arrival at the next station the automatic announcement said the delay was due to poor rail adhesion, this was in the middle of summer!

13. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

14. Andy Pacer

Andy Pacer Member

Interestingly the reason on RTT has now changed to 'late arrival of crew from an inbound service'

15. Parallel

Parallel Established Member