• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Return of Service’

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlane1980

Odd question for somebody, if they could supply me with an answer, please?

After you finish the training course to be a qualified driver is there a return of time you have to complete in the job you’ve applied for before you can apply for other jobs? I’m in the military and we refer to it as a return of service, it’s applied to the more sought after jobs/qualifications and stops you from submitting your notice to leave until a certain point. Do drivers have a similar thing?

Essentially, I’m applying for a trainee drivers position in London but, ideally, I’d like to be in the South West (Penzance-ish).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stuart-h

I'd hazard a guess and say that a toc would have some sort of a retainer contract with you say 2 years. If you leave with in a set time frame youd have to pay back a percentage of the training costs??
Some one would be along to conferm that.

RPOMan

I believe from previously asking a pal who works for a TOC that you need to do 6 months in a role before you can apply for others. I believe that is for one TOC though, not if you move to another TOC. Unsure if it is longer for drivers. Hope that helps a bit

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm unclear if you can/cannot apply for other jobs but we have a clause that if you leave within 3yrs you have to repay the training costs.

There is a 3yr limitation on the transfer window too.

theking

Normally the qualified adverts I've seen say at least two years productive service with good safety of the line record.

jlane1980

Thank you!

This sort of raises another question which I’ll start a new thread for!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Do you have an intention to leave the grade as soon as passing ?

jlane1980

Do you have an intention to leave the grade as soon as passing ?

Not at all! I was just wondering, really. My eventual aspirations are to get back down to Cornwall (the mother land) and just wondered what kind of time frame I would be looking at!

I wasn’t thinking of going back down to Cornwall for another 10-15 years, to be honest.

Aivilo

Most companies require you to two years service starting from the time you acquire your key.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I suppose it depends - we've got a few who've joined GWR recently that did a year qualified with DBS/DBC/EWS/Whatever they're called this week, qualified for a year, applied elsewhere and got released as at the time DBC were slimming themselves down.

Status
Not open for further replies.