• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Sexist’ message on Cross Country train screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Some people really need to lighten up and stop taking life too seriously.

Total non-story, move along please....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dougal2345

Some people really need to lighten up and stop taking life too seriously.

Total non-story, move along please....
Hmmm, I agree it's not much of a story, but it's fun discussing it.

So it seems some are happy for offensive remarks to be made by Cross Country about women passengers who don't conform to their view of 'fit'. Would it still be okay if there were a few Down's Syndrome people on the train and the jokey sign had said "only non ming-mongs on this train"? What would be the difference between that and the 'fit birds' joke?

farleigh

Hmmm, I agree it's not much of a story, but it's fun discussing it.

So it seems some are happy for offensive remarks to be made by Cross Country about women passengers who don't conform to their view of 'fit'. Would it still be okay if there were a few Down's Syndrome people on the train and the jokey sign had said "only non ming-mongs on this train"? What would be the difference between that and the 'fit birds' joke?
Offensive is subjective.
Cross Country did not make the statement.
Nobody is saying it is OK i.e. it is unprofessional but not very important.

theironroad

Established Member
wonder what happened to the guard on the 16:30 KGX-NCL service 31st December 1992 who announced it as the 16:30 to Newcastle upon Tyne, the Centre of the Universe? ;)

I can't see anyone being upset by that and would probably raise a few chuckles even if it is wrong :)

However, the phrase in the op is of a different order and I'd imagine a lot of people would find it offensive.

Dougal2345

Offensive is subjective.
Cross Country did not make the statement.
Nobody is saying it is OK i.e. it is unprofessional but not very important.
Well, it was on Cross Country's screen - they have to take responsibility for it.

If they're being derogatory about something that people can't change - their appearance, their skin colour, their disability - then that's not playing the game at all.

If it were, say, Royal Ascot week, and the sign had said 'no silly hats on the train' then everyone would have had a good laugh.

Sometimes when I'm on a train going to New Milton, I'd be happy if the sign said 'No noisy chav scum on the train'.

But 'only fit birds' - ie no women who would be considered sexually unappealing, because that's all women are good for - that's too much.

theironroad

Established Member
Well, it was on Cross Country's screen - they have to take responsibility for it.

If they're being derogatory about something that people can't change - their appearance, their skin colour, their disability - then that's not playing the game at all.

If it were, say, Royal Ascot week, and the sign had said 'no silly hats on the train' then everyone would have had a good laugh.

Sometimes when I'm on a train going to New Milton, I'd be happy if the sign said 'No noisy chav scum on the train'.

But 'only fit birds' - ie no women who would be considered sexually unappealing, because that's all women are good for - that's too much.

For some of the passengers seeing that sign who already have low self esteem, body image issues and maybe are depressed already, seeing a sign like could make them feel really down... Depression, self harm and suicide rates aren't great in this country as it is.

farleigh

For some of the passengers seeing that sign who already have low self esteem, body image issues and maybe are depressed already, seeing a sign like could make them feel really down... Depression, self harm and suicide rates aren't great in this country as it is.
You think this will lead to suicide? Seriously...
Maybe people should not be asked for tickets because if they don't have one it might make them feel low self-esteem because they do not have enough money to pay for one.
:rolleyes:

Bromley boy

Established Member
You think this will lead to suicide? Seriously...
Maybe people should not be asked for tickets because if they don't have one it might make them feel low self-esteem because they do not have enough money to pay for one.
:rolleyes:

Indeed. This thread was only ever going to go one way, wasn’t it?!

Clip

Established Member
wonder what happened to the guard on the 16:30 KGX-NCL service 31st December 1992 who announced it as the 16:30 to Newcastle upon Tyne, the Centre of the Universe? ;)

Its a factually correct statement to make so i dont see how he would get in any bother for stating it.

al78

Established Member
Offensive is subjective.

Not completely it isn't. That claim is used all too often by gobsh*tes who know they are overstepping boundaries, and are desperately trying to justify it.

farleigh

Not completely it isn't. That claim is used all too often by gobsh*tes who know they are overstepping boundaries, and are desperately trying to justify it.
It is subjective. These people you describe may be offensive to you, but equally they may find you offensive.

Darandio

Established Member
The main issue these days is the amount of people getting offended on behalf of others. It's becoming a national pastime.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I think we should put this to the Dapper Laughs Test. Would this be the sort of thing that the professional arse would do? If yes, then perhaps it's not the best idea to put up on a PA system.

I think the problem here is that people tend to get so easily offended these days and then there are those who delight in taking offence on behalf of others.

gazr

And years ago people laughed at all sorts of stuff. The world (well, most of it) has progressed since then in such matters.

Or one could argue the world is now Social Media/TV/Newspapers shoving liberal views down everyone's throat to the point where we all acquiesce :/

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even if it wasn't offensive, it's still crass and inappropriate to put that sort of thing on the PIS. If a member of staff did it, that'll be gross misconduct and the boot, I expect. If, as I think is more likely, it was someone else (i.e. a passenger) who knew about how to do it pratting around, perhaps having seen the TMS screen and any door blocking access to it[1] left unlocked, perhaps XC need to review their security.

[1] As built it's in the buffet, but I don't know where it is on the XC buffetless Voyagers.

Master29

Established Member
"Bird" not often used as a derogative reference to the fairer sex nowadays so I`m not sure about the youth bit.

Re 4/4

If you suspect that a passenger has been pratting around with the information screens, is that the kind of thing that 61016 would like to know about? I guess it goes under "seeing something unusual".

I'm thinking a particularly stupid individual could equally well put up a message like BOMB ON BOARD, which would cause more problems than offending someone.

InterCity:125

If you suspect that a passenger has been pratting around with the information screens, is that the kind of thing that 61016 would like to know about? I guess it goes under "seeing something unusual".
See it, say it, sorted.

farleigh

I'm thinking a particularly stupid individual could equally well put up a message like BOMB ON BOARD, which would cause more problems than offending someone.
Sounds like that old film SPEED but on a train.
Villain:"If the speed of this train drops below 70, the bomb will go off"
Control: "Er the train can't move as we are waiting for a driver"

Coolzac

I have to be honest, the 'outrage' about things like this always exceeds the actual incident. Was it a sensible thing to post? Probably not. Should the person responsible have anything more than a clip round the ear? No.

In many parts of life, people do awful things and barely get punished, yet some people who fall foul of just saying something a few people find offensive lose their whole livelihoods. Tim Hunt is a perfect example. A sad part of modern life!

abn444

I have to be honest, the 'outrage' about things like this always exceeds the actual incident. Was it a sensible thing to post? Probably not. Should the person responsible have anything more than a clip round the ear? No.

In many parts of life, people do awful things and barely get punished, yet some people who fall foul of just saying something a few people find offensive lose their whole livelihoods. Tim Hunt is a perfect example. A sad part of modern life!

Spot on. It seems these days just saying something is worse than actually doing anything serious

Status
Not open for further replies.