• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Sexist’ message on Cross Country train screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Hmmm, I agree it's not much of a story, but it's fun discussing it.

So it seems some are happy for offensive remarks to be made by Cross Country about women passengers who don't conform to their view of 'fit'. Would it still be okay if there were a few Down's Syndrome people on the train and the jokey sign had said "only non ming-mongs on this train"? What would be the difference between that and the 'fit birds' joke?
Not much of a story, but you are taking it far too seriously and taking offence on behalf of others.

Biggest problem I have is it wasn’t exactly original - if you’re going to do something like that at least try to do something amusing....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Lewis

On a virgin pendlino last year a message on the doors read “how long will you look at this door” a video of it here

Established Member
All fades into insignificance with the prankster from Siemens who took out the memory card from a unit on the shed, deleted the announcement for Kents Bank and replaced it with 20 seconds of some German doom-metal band which literally destroyed every speaker on the train.

Journeyman

Established Member
All fades into insignificance with the prankster from Siemens who took out the memory card from a unit on the shed, deleted the announcement for Kents Bank and replaced it with 20 seconds of some German doom-metal band which literally destroyed every speaker on the train.

That's got style. :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

That's a genuinely good prank.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
If you suspect that a passenger has been pratting around with the information screens, is that the kind of thing that 61016 would like to know about? I guess it goes under "seeing something unusual".

I'm thinking a particularly stupid individual could equally well put up a message like BOMB ON BOARD, which would cause more problems than offending someone.

Does it sound like a police matter?

richw

Veteran Member
Inappropriate- probably
It’s clearly a joke and not serious, unfortunately too many people miss the punch line these days and get offended. Maybe we should all be boring...

WestRiding

Gawwwwd. I am boring. I am over sensitive. I take offence on behalf of others, who probably never took offence in the first place. I also knit noodles for a hobby. Im as far left as one can be. I AM BORING. Lighten up people, it was silly, and silly is funny! One has to be clever to be stupid.

lammergeier

I would love to see a video of that in action

tsr

Established Member
Early Electrostar software could receive audio input from external sources (via bog-standard 3.5mm sockets, I think) and play it over the PA. The music volume control is actually still existent on many saloon panel handsets on applicable classes.

Unfortunately a certain driver took to misusing this function, as has been previously mentioned on this forum. Since it was first mentioned, I have heard conflicting reports about who it actually was and what they played, but it goes something along the lines of a driver playing reggae at maximum volume on a packed West London Line stopper with management onboard. Needless to say - the function was disabled in record [sorry] time!

Harbornite

Established Member
Whoever was responsible for this despicable act should at a minimum be fired on the spot with no tribunal...

On a more serious note, I found the comment about down syndrome and "ming mongs" rather odd, I've never heard that phrase before. I'm guessing whoever posted it is an elastic band because bringing disability into this discussion is quite a stretch.

Dougal2345

On a more serious note, I found the comment about down syndrome and "ming mongs" rather odd, I've never heard that phrase before. I'm guessing whoever posted it is an elastic band because bringing disability into this discussion is quite a stretch.
Not really, it was just an attempt to draw a parallel to broaden out what might have turned out to be an interesting discussion. Unfortunately a slew of "lighten up / don't care" posts soon put paid to any hopes of that. I've now got a clearer picture of the average forum frequenter and will confine any further posts to talk of liveries and timetables :s

Harbornite

Established Member
Not really, it was just an attempt to draw a parallel to broaden out what might have turned out to be an interesting discussion. Unfortunately a slew of "lighten up / don't care" posts soon put paid to any hopes of that. I've now got a clearer picture of the average forum frequenter and will confine any further posts to talk of liveries and timetables :s

An interesting discussion maybe, but ultimately pointless. 'Fit' is generally used in the context of looks and not health. Also you can ditch the self righteousness, it's not needed.

Last edited:

GrimShady

Established Member
If anyone seriously thinks this requires police involvement or cant see this for what it is i.e. a bit of a laugh then they really, really need to get over themselves or get some serious professional help.

Dougal2345

If anyone seriously thinks this requires police involvement or cant see this for what it is i.e. a bit of a laugh then they really, really need to get over themselves or get some serious professional help.
Err quite. So it's okay to have a bit of a laugh, however cruel the joke might be, and anyone who says "that's a bit unpleasant" requires psychiatric treatment? Thanks for that...

GrimShady

Established Member
Err quite. So it's okay to have a bit of a laugh, however cruel the joke might be, and anyone who says "that's a bit unpleasant" requires psychiatric treatment? Thanks for that...

With all the hideousness that goes on in this world, this causes you concern?

:rolleyes:

goblinuser

Joke or no joke, funny or not, offensive or not, that is not what information screens should be used for.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
85 posts on a message that said "fit birds" - it's just an immature thing to have put on an information screen, worthy of an eye-roll and little else.

theironroad

Established Member

While I agree that police involvement is not needed, you're way off the mark about people getting help.

Thing is, the 'bit of a laugh' you're having is at someone else's expense. Banter in mess rooms that goes too far and 'is just a bit of a laugh' to you and your mates can be bullying and also hurtful to the person it is aimed at.

No police required, culprit doesn't need to be fired, but they do need someone to have a quiet chat and point out it is wrong and if it is repeated then some action will be taken.

Last edited:

farleigh

No, it was not those who found it unpleasant - that's fine. I think that those who say it was 'offensive' perhaps need to gain a wider experience of life to see what is really offensive. It really is not a big thing you see.

satisnek

Of course it's wrong... it should have been “Only fit crack on this train" - that would have gone clean over neo-puritan southrons' heads while giving us fans of 'alternative' 1980s music something to laugh about :lol:

farleigh

Of course it's wrong... it should have been “Only fit crack on this train" - that would have gone clean over neo-puritan southrons' heads while giving us fans of 'alternative' 1980s music something to laugh about :lol:
Who is Southron?

Status
Not open for further replies.