• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Anytime Advance” (new ticket type created by West Midlands Trains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Binnersley

It isn't all clear - I was being sarcastic!

I used one last weekend. No ticket checks so no problems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
:'(
View attachment 81435
- Only booked train.
- Flexible ticket with no time restrictions.
What could be clearer.:'(

Used one a week ago, no ticket checks the barrier at Euston was open.
The pdf file said ANYTIME (C-19 ADV)
The same ticket on my phone said "Booked Train Only"!
Yes, this is the route code data (“only valid on booked train”) contradicting the ticket type data (“Anytime” category)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
My interpretation of "only booked LNWR/WMT services" is "only valid on services scheduled to be operated by LNWR/WMT"

But I agree, hardly clear!
I'd have thought that's the intention of them having applied route code 00480, aka AP WMR/LNR ONLY. Unintentional side effects and all...

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd have thought that's the intention of them having applied route code 00480, aka AP WMR/LNR ONLY. Unintentional side effects and all...
The correct data should in my opinion be along the lines of "Must be booked before travel date. You may make your journey on any service on travel date operated by LNWR or WMR only."

I don't understand why they can't just put that into the system, rather than trying to faff around with the existing codes thereby creating self-contradictory messages in the booking system.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The correct data should in my opinion be along the lines of "Must be booked before travel date. You may make your journey on any service on travel date operated by LNWR or WMR only."

I don't understand why they can't just put that into the system, rather than trying to faff around with the existing codes thereby creating self-contradictory messages in the booking system.
Because that would involve creating a new route code. "Unnecessary work" from the pricing manager's POV if he simply read the shorthand version of the route code. After all, AP WMR/LNR ONLY is an accurate description of the restrictions on one of these Anytime Advances. It's the long form text that's problematic.

williamn

Brilliant, just found out about these, has saved me a ton. Interestingly train split and other sites hadn't picked up on them. Reduced price of my ticket from London to Betws-y-Coed from the £100 open ticket to £55 or so. Even train split only got to me to £70.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Brilliant, just found out about these, has saved me a ton. Interestingly train split and other sites hadn't picked up on them. ....
I'm sure Trainsplit and the other sites would be selling them already if the RCS data was correct ;)

trainophile

Established Member
Is there any danger of these being removed from sale in the near future? Don't want to rush in to book if my usual Advances are going to become available eventually but don't want to miss the boat!

williamn

Can confirm they can be refunded. I booked one for the wrong day and LNWR refunded it on my request within a few days.

First posting here so go gentle on me please!

I hold a Euston - Liverpool WMR Anytime Advance for next Sat (22/08) however looking at RTT and other journey planners, it seems that WMR have removed all their journies.

Does this mean, as I’ll have no alternative, I can use the faster (more expensive) Avanti service instead?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

I hold a Euston - Liverpool WMR Anytime Advance for next Sat (22/08) however looking at RTT and other journey planners, it seems that WMR have removed all their journies.

Does this mean, as I’ll have no alternative, I can use the faster (more expensive) Avanti service instead?
You can definitely still make the journey entirely on WMR, just not on the direct services which used to exist.

Plucking a random journey out of the air, the 0946 EUS - CRE 1208 then 1259 CRE - LIV 1341 is one possibility.

(EUS = Euston, CRE = Crewe, LIV = Lime Street)

All the journies I can see are saying use Avanti to Crewe and change there to WMR or Avanti direct.

Where would I stand on using the direct Avanti service from EUS? What about the seat reservation as with WMR it’s only a counted place?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Journey planners will typically only show you the fastest journeys from start to finish, plus any direct trains.

If you’d like to be reassured that WMR are running their trains, search for the journey parts separately (eg EUS - CRE and then CRE - LIV) as direct services should be shown.

Edit: Actually quicker to change at Stafford. Have a look at the screenshot

Attachments

• 4ED83C71-5C17-4540-AD55-8B51F9B76718.png
    4ED83C71-5C17-4540-AD55-8B51F9B76718.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 23

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

If the train you originally booked is cancelled, you can certainly ask if you can take the next available Avanti service; as per another thread, the general ticket acceptance applying at the moment really ought to allow this.

However if you'd like to see what journeys are possible by sticking to services operated by West Midlands Trains, see:

Or, if you prefer to change at Stafford:

js517

Does anyone know what the refund rules are intended to be for these tickets?

National Rail Enquiries - Ticket terms & conditions - C19 just says "Refunds - Yes". This is far less information than it provides for other advance or walk-up ticket types.

The page has now been updated and the refund rules clarified to:

National Rail Enquiries - Ticket terms & conditions - C19 said:
Your ticket is refundable. If you decide not to use your ticket to make all or part of your intended journey then you can get a refund by returning your unused ticket to the ticket office or place of purchase (for tickets bought via websites, telesales or travel agents) within 28 days of the ticket expiry date.

You may be required to pay an administration fee (up to a maximum of £10 per ticket). The refund amount will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.