• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Passenger assault” on staff at Euston today, causing a closure (8/7/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Need2

It is entirely possible that they were mentally ill, but if so they need to be sectioned for public safety.
And it is entirely possible they weren’t.
It’s entirely possible they are just a nasty piecevof you know what.

Need2

That doesn’t follow.
And neither does ‘ if you stab someone you must have mental health issues’
Anybody who does anything that is against the law must have issues then, where is the line to be drawn?

deltic

Established Member
how long before some do gooder claims the assailant becomes the victim, as they had "mental health issues", as per another thread on here ??????
As the person who raised the mental health issue in the other thread I dont recall saying the assailant had become the victim. If you have ever been to prison or worked with prisoners you would know that a significant proportion have mental health issues. The Prison Reform Trust report that 26% of female and 16% of male prisoners said they had been treated for a mental health issue in the year before they were sent to prison. While 25% of women and 15% of men in prison reported symptoms indicative of psychosis compared to 4% in the general public and self-inflicted deaths are 8.6 times more likely in prison than in the general population.

The point I was making is that we are failing to treat and support those with mental health problems - quite a few are ex-service personnel - and as a result innocent bystanders suffer. Prison is not the way to treat those with mental health issues.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's also worth remembering that the casual use of terms like "mental health issues" is not the same as the legal definition that might be used as a partial defence in court. If you go about stabbing people then you're probably not quite "all there" mentally, but that won't necessarily absolve you of responsibility for the stabbings you did. The threshold for being deemed mentally unfit to stand trial is very high. Even a diagnosis from a mental health professional won't guarantee that outcome, the court may order further evaluation.
It also doesn't mean you aren't also a nasty piece of work.

LowLevel

Established Member
It is entirely possible that they were mentally ill, but if so they need to be sectioned for public safety.

They carried a weapon and used it, causing serious harm to a person going about their lawful business. There should never again be a chance taken on whether they might cause harm in future. As far as I am concerned their liberty is forfeit and if it works out more economically their life as well.

Whether by means of incapacity through defective mental state or through incarceration due to criminal behaviour this person has cashed their chips in and shouldn't see the light of day again.

6Gman

Established Member
how long before some do gooder claims the assailant becomes the victim, as they had "mental health issues", as per another thread on here ??????

Well, setting aside the use of "do gooder" (some of us would rather do good than the opposite) it is, of course, possible that the assailant did indeed have mental health issues.

But we don't know and I'm content to let the proper procedure be followed.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Then it’s pointless stating they had mental health issues when in reality it means jack!

I’m sorry, you clearly don’t understand what is meant by ‘mental health issues’. There’s a very wide range, and a lot of people have them. That doesn’t mean that people with them, who commit crime, shouldn’t face the consequences of their actions. Nor does it excuse them. That’s the point.

whoosh

Established Member
I've seen a post on Facebook saying the Train Manager apparently has six small stab wounds, had punches to face, and had to have their hand x-rayed.

They say they are okay, which I suppose would mean their life isn't in danger, but that's quite an onslaught to have been through and I would fear psychological injuries may well be longer lasting.

GoneSouth

Whatever the
Whatever the reasons, mental health, just a nasty angry person, alcohol / substance misuse, the person concerned has proven they are a danger to the general public and should be kept in some form of isolation from society until proven beyond doubt that they are no longer a danger. Then the person should be put on trial and hopefully removed from society again for a long time

MDB1images

Dreadful incident, thoughts with the TM in what seems to have been a thoroughly disgusting and frightening attack.

Need2

In my view it is also reasonable to assume that anyone who is willing to stab anyone in this situation must have some form of mental health issue. How could anybody of ‘sound mind’ think that was an appropriate action?
How could anyone of sound mind abuse a child, is that a mental health issue?
How could a man of sound mind beat his wife, is that a mental health issue?
How could anyone of sound mind burgle another person’s house, is that a mental health issue?
Some people are just utter filth, period!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Time to all calm down please folks, and we can continue the discussion when we are at that point.

Can I also request that members read carefully what other people said as well please, and don't put words that others haven't said in their mouth.

Thoughts with all affected by this (and other similar) mindless violence. No one deserves to be on the receiving end of it.

Edit: I've now reopened the thread but a reminder to refrain from speculation and only go by known facts of the case please, otherwise the whole thread will just quickly go haywire.

If anyone wishes to discuss the treatment of people with mental health issues by law enforcement, please feel free to start a separate thread with reference to this incident, but not continuing in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.