• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Reserved” or “Reserved From” Virgin Pendolino

Status
Not open for further replies.

G42

Im curious...
I got on a Virgin West Coast from Glasgow Central, going to London Euston.

Some seats showed “reserved” while others had “reserved from Glasgow Central”.

Given that the train started at Glasgow Central, why are seats labelled differently? My understanding is that the from tags are usually for seats that will become reserved in the course of the journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
I discovered this on a Euston service from Glasgow last month. Train was rammed as it was a 9-car Pendolino standing in for an 11, so there wasn't any non reservation coaches. If I remember rightly, 'reserved' meant it was reserved from the current station, and the 'reserved from x' changed to 'reserved' when the train called at 'x'.

Aside from this (seeing as this is relevant to VTWC reservations), myself and the person who I was travelling with that day were chuked from the infamous seats 1 and 2 in Coach C next to the onboard shop, which always states "special assistance if required"(or something like that). Is anyone able to quickly clarify whether these seats are indeed "reserved incase any passenger takes ill" as we were told by the lady on the counter?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Were there no other seats and you were required to stand? If that's correct, complain. Even if it is policy it's a ridiculous one not to allow them to be used if they are not required for their other purpose.

route101

Established Member
I discovered this on a Euston service from Glasgow last month. Train was rammed as it was a 9-car Pendolino standing in for an 11, so there wasn't any non reservation coaches. If I remember rightly, 'reserved' meant it was reserved from the current station, and the 'reserved from x' changed to 'reserved' when the train called at 'x'.

Aside from this (seeing as this is relevant to VTWC reservations), myself and the person who I was travelling with that day were chuked from the infamous seats 1 and 2 in Coach C next to the onboard shop, which always states "special assistance if required"(or something like that). Is anyone able to quickly clarify whether these seats are indeed "reserved incase any passenger takes ill" as we were told by the lady on the counter?

I found it confusing , when it justs said reserved i took it that someone may come along , someone had already got off but it still said reserved or not claimed .
Noticed with coach C unreserved means less seats , i always make a beeline for unreserved as it sometimes was quieter.

Had 2 ladies get on at Carlisle on Northbound Glasgow pendo and they had seat reservations for a table , a guy was sitting at the table and he goot turfed out . Yet the coach was empty , felt sorry for guy though the ladies were entitled to the seats .

Clansman

Established Member
Were there no other seats and you were required to stand? If that's correct, complain. Even if it is policy it's a ridiculous one not to allow them to be used if they are not required for their other purpose.

There were the odd one or two seats dotted about, but when you've got a table free, it was the first port of call for me when I couldn't find any two seats together. Despite challenging the staff member on the counter, they remained adament that the seats were for "ill passengers" or those requiring special assistance. Just seemed a whole load of bull to be honest, but there was little point in trying to catch her out as she was adament that that was the case.

I'm not one to kick off a fuss and complain, but if it happens again then it's definitley something I'll let VTWC know about as its an atrocious policy to have. If they were reserved under 'crew use' then that would seem more appropriate and I'd have respected that, and in the case of "ill passengers", I'd have thought that would have been more applicable to priority seats.

The whole VTWC reservation system is a shambles.

Elecman

Established Member
I often see those 2 coach C seats used by Virgin staff travelling on the cushions

rebmcr

Established Member
There were the odd one or two seats dotted about, but when you've got a table free, it was the first port of call for me when I couldn't find any two seats together. Despite challenging the staff member on the counter, they remained adament that the seats were for "ill passengers" or those requiring special assistance. Just seemed a whole load of bull to be honest, but there was little point in trying to catch her out as she was adament that that was the case.

I'm not one to kick off a fuss and complain, but if it happens again then it's definitley something I'll let VTWC know about as its an atrocious policy to have. If they were reserved under 'crew use' then that would seem more appropriate and I'd have respected that, and in the case of "ill passengers", I'd have thought that would have been more applicable to priority seats.

The whole VTWC reservation system is a shambles.

C01 and C02 used to be (years back) reservable. They are now kept for the use of passengers who really need help.

They've always been used by crew whenever 'free'!

daikilo

Established Member
Crew of course, if on duty, are meant to give seats up to passengers.

There is a major problem with this on VTWC.

Crew on or not on duty? I would expect say an on-duty driver travelling to, between, or after scheduled driving turns to have a right to a suitable seat no matter what the loading of the train. As a staff member not on duty but with a staff ticket I would always give up my place on a "full" train though I would usually find another elsewhere, if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.