• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Scotlands best ever railway”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Live PPM has fallen under 80% so the new timetables haven't made the slightest bloody bit of difference to the overall reliability. Not surprised one little bit.
Indeed. Significantly better than, say, Northern's Lancashire and Cumbria or North Manchester serivce groups.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deltic1961

Indeed. Significantly better than, say, Northern's Lancashire and Cumbria or North Manchester serivce groups.

Irrelevant really what other operators are doing. For Scotrail to have 76% reliability at evening peak is just not good enough, even if it is still better than others. What's their target again (well before Michael Matheson stopped using it as a metric?)

Sirius

The confusion could be worse at Haymarket during disruption where there’s as little as 3 minutes between the timetabled departures to Queen Street, sometimes at the same platform too.

snookertam

The timetable is literally one of the most memorable in the country.

Of course, that's apparently not good enough for some people!

The only time I have ever been caught out by it was that there was no train at 1945.

I don't think it would be difficult to put an alternating message stating 'via Cumbernauld' on the destination line at least. They do similar on the north electrics to signify a train's route, and would help avoid any confusion. Even better they could advertise them as being for Springburn/Edinburgh Park at each end. Yes regular users are familiar but you can't assume everyone will be, and with the number of visitors to both Edinburgh and Glasgow it would help them also to know what was the better train to get.

On another new timetable related point, the class 380s are a welcome addition to the Neilston and Cathcart routes, although tonight the 1905 Central to Neilston which was a 380 in the old timetable, has actually reverted to being a 314... :s

alangla

Even better they could advertise them as being for Springburn/Edinburgh Park at each end

This is probably the ideal thing to do, same as the Foxton to Finsbury Park stoppers at the other end of the ECML. Wonder what will happen during disruption now, previously the Grahamston got binned & the Highs diverted non-stop other than Grahamston itself, now it would seem more sensible to advertise the stoppers as end to end & use the stock from the High service, but could a 7x385 stop at the intermediate stations?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I don't think it would be difficult to put an alternating message stating 'via Cumbernauld' on the destination line at least. They do similar on the north electrics to signify a train's route, and would help avoid any confusion. Even better they could advertise them as being for Springburn/Edinburgh Park at each end. Yes regular users are familiar but you can't assume everyone will be, and with the number of visitors to both Edinburgh and Glasgow it would help them also to know what was the better train to get.
A via point is an absolute must. They could also perhaps advertise the E&G services as 'ScotRail Express', but that might be pushing it.

Altnabreac

Established Member
The timetable is literally one of the most memorable in the country.

Of course, that's apparently not good enough for some people!

The only time I have ever been caught out by it was that there was no train at 1945.

I’ve thought for a while a 19.45 should be included in the E-G timetable. It’s still pretty busy then and 20.00 seems a better time to transition to half hourly services.

DuncanS

I'm confused as to why Queen St and Waverley would need a "via Cumbernauld" notice when both stations have whacking great big departure boards that actually tell you where the train is going (as well as similar at the actual platforms) and indeed at Waverley it actually tells you the arrival times at all of the stations for the route.

In 20 years of commuting in and out of Glasgow and Edinburgh I've never seen anyone with any problem getting the right train apart from some halfcut Sevco fans heading to a game in Falkirk.

alangla

X thousand tourists a year won’t have a clue & just assume they’re all the same route. Haymarket used to announce the Shotts stoppers as very slow local trains to keep the tourists off them

Sirius

It’s obvious a distinction is in use at Edinburgh Waverley for some services as they announce the destinations of Airdrie/Bathgate services as “Helensburgh Central/Milngavie via Glasgow Queen Street low level”. Yet there are no other routes to the ultimate destinations.

InOban

Established Member
We're lucky they even mention Glasgow QS. At Central the Birmingham trains are announced as London Euston, and Birmingham is only listed among the intermediate calls. I often wonder how many people get on the wrong train. (Caveat - it's a couple of years since I had reason to be in Central - things may have changed)

alangla

This afternoon is looking fun - Journeycheck currently showing the 1540 (roughly) GLQ to Aberdeen as only going as far as Perth, 1640 & 1740 completely cancelled. All because of a lack of crews. Currently 19 cancellations, 21 alterations. Formation changes today appear to be mainly on the North Clyde - I assume the 334’s allergy to sub zero temps is back again. They’ve been useless in the cold since they were built

Deltic1961

We were told last week that the crew shortages were due to training on the run up to the new timetable being implemented.

Seems that was not true then.

Bodiddly

Crew shortages due to guards training to use slam door stock but also due to a Union ban on rest day working. The latter has been resolved but the former is ongoing.

route:oxford

Established Member
Rumour has it that Department for Transport has been approached directly by Perthshire residents to see if the Westminster Government can help save Dunblane, Doune, Callander & Crieff commuters from the business failures of Scotrail and the Scottish Government by starting an LNER unit from Perth or Dunblane for the morning peak.

In the old days a Class 47 push pull ran the 07:XX service starting at DBL, so hopefully a longer train can still turn around there.

It would be good to know if Mingulay had heard anything. There are still quite a few people with influence living in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

alangla

Rail Replacement operators must be loving this. Journeycheck now showing a total of 6 coaches from 3 operators booked for those three Aberdeen trains. Having travelled on the 1740 previously, it could probably fill 6 coaches on its own. Not going to be a good afternoon for the customer service folk at GLQ

They really do need to add some qualifiers to the Edinburgh - Queen St descriptions now. Trying to work out which train is going which route isn't straightforward.

This was the departure board at Waverley this afternoon. All Glasgow services advertised as via Falkirk High, Shotts, Motherwell and now Cumbernauld.

Milngavie and Helensburgh displayed as via Glsw Queen St Ll.

F8F3048C-F633-4913-86EE-6C51DD101B6D.jpeg

And I was surprised to see 380 007 working the 1536 to Glasgow Queen Street via Cumbernauld. I expected a 385.

Quite a mix of Scotrail stock in Waverley today. 385, 380, 365, 158, 170 and ‘Classic’ HST.

Stopper

Irrelevant really what other operators are doing. For Scotrail to have 76% reliability at evening peak is just not good enough, even if it is still better than others. What's their target again (well before Michael Matheson stopped using it as a metric?)

Agreed. The “it’s better than Northern” comeback that is routinely dished out on here needs swiftly put in the bin. Absolutely irrelevant.

Sirius

This afternoon is looking fun - Journeycheck currently showing the 1540 (roughly) GLQ to Aberdeen as only going as far as Perth, 1640 & 1740 completely cancelled. All because of a lack of crews. Currently 19 cancellations, 21 alterations. Formation changes today appear to be mainly on the North Clyde - I assume the 334’s allergy to sub zero temps is back again. They’ve been useless in the cold since they were built

I could be wrong but 2x 334s are still out of service investigating the split at Uphall. That’s reduced the amount of 6 car sets in service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
This was the departure board at Waverley this afternoon. All Glasgow services advertised as via Falkirk High, Shotts, Motherwell and now Cumbernauld.

Milngavie and Helensburgh displayed as via Glsw Queen St Ll.

View attachment 56534

And I was surprised to see 380 007 working the 1536 to Glasgow Queen Street via Cumbernauld. I expected a 385.

Quite a mix of Scotrail stock in Waverley today. 385, 380, 365, 158, 170 and ‘Classic’ HST.

Poor Gartcosh

route101

Established Member
We're lucky they even mention Glasgow QS. At Central the Birmingham trains are announced as London Euston, and Birmingham is only listed among the intermediate calls. I often wonder how many people get on the wrong train. (Caveat - it's a couple of years since I had reason to be in Central - things may have changed)

Dont think its changed , last time i used a via Brum service there was a fair few going to Euston . Maybe cheap advances and unaware the train takes a west midland detour.

alangla

Poor Gartcosh

Barr-Gedd-ee still doesn’t have a recorded voice announcement. Ever so slightly jarring when the auto-announcer is reading out the stops & drops into a computer generated voice for that station before going back to normal for either Kirkwood or Baillieston.

Northhighland

Just to put an another viewpoint. I am about 2.5 hours to the West of you and commute into Inverness on the Far North commuter services. I also travel to the central belt a couple of times a month and other occasional trips.
My experience (and that is all it is - but that makes is very valid - to me) is pretty much the exact opposite, we have tidy infrastructure, very few cancellations recently, cheap commuter tickets. Stock is OK - but reading some of the concerns of others on here - it sounds like we are pretty lucky with the 158s. Yes the refurb seems to have knackered the WIFI but - my expectations of that were never high.
Central belt travel is fine - 170s do the job but I always choose the LNER HST for return trips - and will try to use HST diagrams when they appear on the Highland Line or Aberdeen services. For Inner Moray Firth Commuters - we have good services running well and on time enough - we desire better and improvements could be facilitated with infrastructure (Lentran Loop) - but what we have probably is better than ever before.

Occasionally we do encounter cancellations - but reliability seems to be pretty solid from my experience. Just lucky perhaps - but I probably represent quite a number of folk using similar services.

On the whole the commuter services around Inverness you are right. The HML to Edinburgh / Glasgow i cant agree with your view. I use this a couple of times a month at least. Far too often recently it is a replacement bus for my full ticket price. If i wanted to travel by bus I could use Megabus for less than half that cost with a better bus.

Service is not good.

sleeperagent

On the whole the commuter services around Inverness you are right. The HML to Edinburgh / Glasgow i cant agree with your view. I use this a couple of times a month at least. Far too often recently it is a replacement bus for my full ticket price. If i wanted to travel by bus I could use Megabus for less than half that cost with a better bus.

Service is not good.
I geekily keep an eye on Inverness departures and arrivals on RTT and frequently see certain trains being cancelled - often the morning rush hour arrival from Elgin, and the 2100ish from Edinburgh getting cancelled from Perth. The reasons vary - often "problem with train crew" but also "problem with brakes", "problem at depot", etc - and my cynical side wonders if those reasons are always genuine.

I'd agree with mikey9's comments re North Highlands - I use the Kyle line a few times a year to tie in with the Sleeper, and (touch wood) it's not let me down yet.

alangla

RTT doesn’t always tell the whole story- some trains, e.g. Edinburgh to Inverurie ones can be cancelled at places like Dundee and restarted from Aberdeen- this can appear on Journeycheck as “an additional service is planned to operate” there’s also an evening Edinburgh to Inverness that, in the last timetable, often coupled to a Glasgow at Perth to save a path, especially if the LNER was late. This shows on RTT as a cancellation but Journeycheck had the explanation. Whether that’s even possible now with HSTs appearing to Inverness is another question

Status
Not open for further replies.