• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

00/H0 track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Hi guys, i went to The Engine Shed at Ford today to have a look around and buy some bits and pieces, after looking at all the UK stuff i went and had a nose round the American and Continental stuff, now it was the track that got my attention, i found some HO track made by 'KATO' it looked great stuff as the track was moulded in fairly realistic looking ballast, i brought a few pieces because it looked like it would be great to use as display track for locos, i got it home and put a loco on it and it looked superb, i then compared it to my Hornby track and decided the KATO stuff looked much better, which got me thinking...... If i made a layout using only this KATO track can i use Hornby/Bachmann etc rolling stock on it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
If I remember rightly HO and OO track are similar if not the same. I did the reverse by running an HO TGV on Hornby OO track without too much of an issue. Best thing to do is get a tape measure out and measure the gauge of a bit of hornby and a bit of kato if its the same you're in business.

Wyvern

Established Member
Isnt the rail gauge the same, but the overall scale different because of the larger overall size of continental trains?

Established Member
The track gauge is exactly the same between the two, the difference is in the scale of the trains themselves (I think 00 is 1:76 and H0 is 1:87).

GearJammer

the rails are much finer, seems more to scale than Hornby track, i was just curious as to wether you could use the HO track for a UK layout

deltic1989

Established Member
The track gauge is exactly the same between the two, the difference is in the scale of the trains themselves (I think 00 is 1:76 and H0 is 1:87).
Thats what I thought but wasn't too sure. if it looks good to you GJ and you can run stock on it then it sounds like a good investment I'll have to take a look for some myself for my next layout.

The Sage

I hope it works as I'm planning on building a layout with HO track over here in Canada for all my OO uk rolling stock that I brought with me!

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I've got a fair bit of Roco HO track. It's the type with the rubbery ballast.

Firstly, it looks good. The ballast is well done and the rails are finer than the "normal" Hornby/Peco OO track.

Secondly, all my recent OO stuff runs absolutely fine.

The only problem with this type of track is that the older Hornby or Triang stock isn't so good. If the stock has the very large flanges on the wheels then these flanges bounce along the sleepers as the rails themselves are that little bit shorter. Points just don't work out welll...

If you have got stock from the 1960's then the pre-ballasted HO track isn't going to work. If you've got modern (from the 1980's onwards) then it should work fine.
(Even if it doesn't you can always swap out the offending wheels for better ones)

Cheers,
Jason

The Sage

Hi there,
I've got a fair bit of Roco HO track. It's the type with the rubbery ballast.

Firstly, it looks good. The ballast is well done and the rails are finer than the "normal" Hornby/Peco OO track.

Secondly, all my recent OO stuff runs absolutely fine.

The only problem with this type of track is that the older Hornby or Triang stock isn't so good. If the stock has the very large flanges on the wheels then these flanges bounce along the sleepers as the rails themselves are that little bit shorter. Points just don't work out welll...

If you have got stock from the 1960's then the pre-ballasted HO track isn't going to work. If you've got modern (from the 1980's onwards) then it should work fine.
(Even if it doesn't you can always swap out the offending wheels for better ones)

Cheers,
Jason

All my stock is late 80's onward so hopefully shouldn't be to much of an issue!
I'm planning on buying a HO gauge starter set to get me going again.... the North American loco and coaches it comes with will have to be stored and brought out for specials.

GearJammer

Hi i forgot i did this thread, well after thinking it through i went out and brought a KATO track pack, same as a train set but minus the train and controller, now all my stock is 90's onwards, i have quite an exstensive collection of trains and ALL of them rain fine over straight/curved track but the problem came when running over points, i have 2 left hand turnouts and to right hand ones, some locos run through them fine, but other locos did'nt, take my Hornby Merchant navys, when passing over a pair of points invariably the loco wanted to go in the opposite direction to what ever way i had set the point, which usually resulted in the train derailing, and if i set the point the way the loco wanted to go, it was fine, but the next Merchant i put on the track went whatever way i sent it fine, i have pretty much all the Merchant navys Hornby have released and ran them all and it really was quite random as to which ones behaived and which ones did'nt, the same applied to other types of loco from diffrent manufacturers, plus the ones that did'nt like the points and derailed did'nt do it everytime they passed over, usually they did that trick that we've all seen, and only derailed when your not looking, in the end i gave in frustration.
The points in the train pack where small radious ones, so when i got the time and money i will buy some more larger radious points and see if thats any better.
I'll also add that Kato points don't seem as well made as others ive experianced (hornby/peco) in the fact the mechanism seems very delicate and flimsey.
Still, im gonna persist with it as dispite these minor (if irratating) issues i do like the overall look of the track.
Just thought id share my experiances with those who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.