• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

02/08 Newquay HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Newquay

Thats right, the yearly HST grice. Due to definite bent sets, Newquay instead of Pembroke Dock. Me, Ascot, Gizzy, Liam, Conner, Nat the Ned, LRT, Paul1609 and Jon G all bashed Newquay today. The set was TYPO EDITIED: unrefurbished, although had 2 MTU power cars.

First on was Gizzy with her Mac, followed at New St by Ascot with his little PDA thing with sat nav. I joined at Cheltenham Spa, one table for around 9 of us. I love 165’s (Sam) joined at Bristol Parkway, but was not found until Temple Meads by Gizzy. At Temple Meads, the table opposite us was available, so we took up this, so we then had two tables. Conner and Paul joined at Temple Meads, Paul being gutted Dennis didn’t come, as those two are very good at using up the beer! We made a nice RailUk sign to put next to the window stickers, just in case no body knew where we were sat! At Exeter, Liam and Jon joined the bash. Finally, at Bodmin Nat joined. He soon started the beer, however the TM had asked for no more booze to be sold, due to the already ****ed nature of the passengers. Paul nearly got offered a free FC upgrade due to the fact he didn’t look like one of the yobs going down to get hammered, that was only due to the drunks playing loud music.

Arrival in to Newquay was at 14.56 some 7late. After finally being let out the station, we went to stock up with supplies, including a bottle of wine for Nat and some Stella for Paul. Mark and Nat also shared some of Paul's supplies.

Departure saw us in coach E, happily eating and drinking and laughing away. Nat gave a lesson to the crew about Doctor Death, and Gizzy by now was shattered. By Plymouth the supplies from Newquay were out, and due to late running a stock up in Spar could not be made. So, it was beer from the buffet for the bashers!

At Totnes, a bloke who was out of it joined, off to Liverpool. He sat opposite Gizzy, and started making remarks about her, before being invited to come and join the main two tables. He got the **** ripped out of him, before finishing up his Vodka and nearly going to sleep. By Exeter he was out of it, and Nat was getting fairly drunk!

Arrival at Exeter saw Conner, Liam, LRT and Jon depart the train, with the bloke with the vodka starting up for one last time before going to sleep, and Nat claiming he was going to go clubbing in Blackpool, after forgetting to give Conner a tenner back, so this was spent on drink! We soon got to Bristol, where Paul left for a -3 connection on to the 19.22 to Portsmouth Harbour.

We then went on to Bristol Parkway, where Mark and Sam alighted, along with Nat, who had a 40min fester before his Voyager back to Plymouth. Me and Gizzy moved to the TGS. Got a phone call moments later from Mark, who was calling about Sam's laptop – which he left on the train! I then went to collect it, before taking it back to Bristol Parkway for him, thus he had a nice 90minute fester at Parkway!

As usual it was a top day out, with plenty of laughs. The annual HST grice has more than likely hit it’s final one here, however look out for August 1st next year!

It was nice to put some new names to faces, as well as get some new people on to the HST meet. Me and Mark proved what they had been missing for all this time! I hope everyone enjoyed it – and sorry if there are any mistakes in this write up. Thank you for coming along, Newquay Rail UK bash 2008

And – Gizzy is still on, after starting at 07.20 this morning!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
Sounds fun!!

I hope your all of age to be drinking?? =P

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...The set was refurbished,...
unlucky! I read that it was allocated unfefurbished last night.

...Nat gave a lesson to the crew about Doctor Death...
Was he spotted? Most times I go to the South West he makes an appearance somewhere. Now he's gone digital, I wonder if he'll make a fotopic site and start posting on forums...:lol:

As for Mr 165's laptop being left on... how did he manage that?!

Group pic from the meet. I'll leave someone else to caption as I can't remember who was who.

I got back to Ash Vale at 2245, managing to make a +3 at Woking.
The Exeter-Waterloo trains are ridiculously slow though, we were timetabled to sit for 20mins at Yeovil Jn, and another 10 just outside Tisbury.
If they doubled the line and got rid of the padding, they could probably complete with FGW on the London-SW route!

Nat the Ned

I dont feature in that pic :>

Yes Conner I owe you a tenner, you can have it back.... promise.

Gizzy, hope you made it home without that freak reading your forehead and making love to your hair.

Nice to meet you all, hope to see you soon...

Ilove165's

As for Mr 165's laptop being left on... how did he manage that?!

I just sort of forgot about it.....I only realised i forgot it when the train was out of sight!

Jim is a legend for bringing it back

Sam

Mintona

Established Member
Nice and early into Wilmslow this evening, about -3. Made it easy to dispatch the damn thing! Only slam door we get in the week.
I looked out for Gizzy on the train, but I couldn't spot her. I'm guessing she was probably on there though!
And my, what a fine young lady did I help out of First Class with a heavy bag. We even had a little chat and laugh, but had to get back to dispatching, and she disappeared...ah well :(

Glad you had a good day guys. :)

Nat the Ned

Gizzy was probably fast asleep. God help who has to clean that set tonight after the riots on 1V29. Nice to see it made it that far on time after being nearly quarter hour late into Plymouth thus ruining my wine restock....

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm glad the price of the fare for this trip put me off, as I don't think I would have wanted to participate in any "riots" on 1V29. ;) The pic of the unrefurbished set surprises me...

Not because of the group of Rail UK peeps ;), but because of the huge contrast in appearance, between the Refurbished sets, and Un-refurbished sets.

Also.. Double MTU... How did that go down?

Having said that.. i'm sure supplies of certain alchoholic beverages can quickly dampen any upsets which MTU engines may cause ;)

IMO Gizmogle's day isn't tooo long, although it obviously isn't short by any means. I'm travelling between 05:00 & 01:00 one day soon (all sorted) , but for mileage compo reasons, aren't going to state who/what/where/when etc..

class 313

Established Member
Pfft what Gizmogle did was nothing long, try 2 hours sleep then going to London at 4am for then to bash spoons to wales and back to get back to the house around 1am the next day.

Was any valentas had on this trip?

Jim

Established Member
unlucky! I read that it was allocated unfefurbished last night.
Sorry, mis typed that. It was unrefurbished

Was any valentas had on this trip?

No.

I'm glad the price of the fare for this trip put me off, as I don't think I would have wanted to participate in any "riots" on 1V29. ;) The pic of the unrefurbished set surprises me...
Just to clarify, the set WAS unrefurbished and I made a very bad typing error:cry:

Also.. Double MTU... How did that go down?
Not to bad, as these meets are known more for there social aspect rather than the bashing aspect. Infact, second year running we've managed an unrefurbished set and double MTU!

Gizzy was probably fast asleep. God help who has to clean that set tonight after the riots on 1V29. Nice to see it made it that far on time after being nearly quarter hour late into Plymouth thus ruining my wine restock....

Did you manage to get back as planned?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sounds fun!!

I hope your all of age to be drinking?? =P

All the ones drinking were - yes!
I just sort of forgot about it.....I only realised i forgot it when the train was out of sight!

Jim is a legend for bringing it back

Sam

I couldn't see you at first though, so I would of been nearly typing from that this morning instead ;)
Photo:
Front row (on the floor): Gizzy and Little Red Train (Dan) [And I am sure you should be able to work out which is which!]
Second Row sat on seats L-R: Ascot (Mark), Paul1609 (Paul), Liam and Conner
Back Row L-R: Jim, JonG, Ilove165's (Sam).

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Pfft what Gizmogle did was nothing long, try 2 hours sleep then going to London at 4am for then to bash spoons to wales and back to get back to the house around 1am the next day.

Lightweight! I've done railtours which have involve setting off at 01.45 for a 2 hour journey to Crewe to pick up a tour which set off at 04.21 and got back about 01.00, then another 2 hour drive home! Then there's the overnight ones....

class 313

Established Member
Lightweight! I've done railtours which have involve setting off at 01.45 for a 2 hour journey to Crewe to pick up a tour which set off at 04.21 and got back about 01.00, then another 2 hour drive home! Then there's the overnight ones....

I must say The Yorkshire Festivemen required a all nighter between St Albans - Loughborough - Swindon with no sleep between then. 0530 ish of Swindon and didn't get back to Swindon till 2'ish the next day

Bayum

Established Member
Gah. I hate pictures like that, it makes everyone seem, so... ARGH!! Wish I wa there now!!!

Mintona

Established Member
There is still the deafening silence of Gizmogle....I wonder if she is still asleep on the set? :lol:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Phwoar. Had a good nights sleep, and am finally awake.

My journey back on the HST was fine, as there were only a couple of neds in my coach. But I felt ill, so did heads out for most of it anyway.

Manchester United beat City earlier that night, so my train home to Buxton was full of both teams' supporters screaming and shouting and chanting at each other. Lovely stuff.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hmm...from what I heard it was Utd and City. May be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.