• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0202 Oxford to Witney

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscho84233

Just looking on open train times for trains at oxford, and noticed that there is a service operating from Oxford to Witney, by bus. The service is aparently operated by FGW. Why would FGW operate a bus service to Witney? The tracks were ripped up many years ago!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think that local bus operators are included as 'operators', so the TOC appears as a TOC that sells through tickets (where applicable) and/or the TOC that advertises the bus link.

For example, EC is often credited as 'operating' the buses to Whitby from York.

The same can apply with ferries.

dzug2

That particular service from Oxford is actually operated by Stagecoach - so not even a First company

jscho84233

Oh, I see... It just seems strange as it just seems to run twice a week on a Saturday - one at 0202 and one at 2252.

OTT says Witney has a "station code" of WMP, but NRE doesn't recognise Witney or WMP, so you can't actually buy a ticket to Witney.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yes you can!

London Terminals-Witney - £30.50 SDS...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also available from Reading, Worcester and Didcot.

trc666

On that note about ferries, the Portsmouth to Ryde ferries are shown on internal departure boards as being operated by SWT despite the fact Wightlink operate them.

jscho84233

Yes you can!

London Terminals-Witney - £30.50 SDS...
Also available from Reading, Worcester and Didcot.

So where can you buy that ticket from? Can it only be used on the two Saturday bus services that are listed, or on any Stagecoach service to Witney?

W-on-Sea

Established Member
It's Stagecoach Oxfordshire Gold route S1 (or in the case of the very late journey, NS1). Not convinced there is any advantage in buying a through ticket from those who you will sell you one, in terms of price or convenience (e.g. the through tickets are only valid on the S1, which typically runs 4 buses an hour in the daytime, but isn't valid on the 2 additional buses an hour on the S2, which a Stagecoach return would be, or the houtly and more round-the-houses 11)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
On that note about ferries, the Portsmouth to Ryde ferries are shown on internal departure boards as being operated by SWT despite the fact Wightlink operate them.

Haha I wonder if Wightlink operate Penalty Fares then? <D

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I *think* the East Coast website is one that wi ll sell tickets to Witney. And, yes, they are valid on all the buses on the S1/NS1- although in the evenings the connection time between trains from London and buses to Witney is so tight (typically 4 mins), and the trains often late, and the bus stop not so vlose to the station, that quite often end up waiting the best part of 30 mins for the next bus

jscho84233

Well, I found the ticket on redspottedhanky. An Off Peak Day Single from Witney to London is £25.40. A Single from Oxford to London is £22.40. A Bus fare from Witney to Oxford is £2.70, so it's 30p more expensive to buy the through train ticket.
And where can the information on which bus services (S1/S2/11) it's valid on be found?

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Good question. The FGW website used to refer to this, but I don't think the current one does. I think there also used to be (possibly still is) a table in the National Rail Timetable listing the "Raillink" bus services to Witney -which were those on what was then the 100 and is now the S1. But it's barely advertised and some of the staff at Oxford station don't seem to know about it!

jscho84233

No, I had no idea of its existance until I happened to come across it this evening, and I've been using the S1 and S2 to catch trains to London for the past 10 years! I guess it's just a bit of an oddity, and I still don't get why only those 2 Saturday services are shown on Open Train Times!

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

district

Status
Not open for further replies.