• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0515 Limerick to Heuston - can't get it to show in IE planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quick question all,

Would anyone who's used the Irish Rail website for buying Advance tickets know how to find the 0515 Limerick to Dublin Heuston (via Nenagh) on it? It seems to refuse to find it, offering me the 0530 instead, and I vaguely remember hearing to get the 0515, you have to tell it to look for overtaken trains or something.

Only thing is, I can't see that option. Anyone able to help? Don't want to have to pay out €50+ just for the connection at Ballybrophy!

Thanks all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If this is one of the trial services it may not show as its future is less than clear - I believe something like 10 passengers a day have been reported, maybe the lack of guarantee of existance means its exempt from being shown?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Don't have an answer to the question but if the worst comes to the worst you can get split advances at Nenagh for about €27 - OK a €5 penalty over a through advance from Limerick, but definitely no need to go paying for a walk-up fare.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for that advice, checked and indeed Castleconnell and Birdhill to Dublin Heuston come up but for some reason don't have any online fares. It won't even tell you how much it'll be on the day, which I find maddening.

Booked Nenagh to Dublin Heuston on it for €9.99 plus the €2 transaction fee, so now all I need to deal with is the Galway to Limerick and Limerick to Nenagh fares, plus of course Dublin Bus/LUAS fares as appropriate.

EDIT: Donedidid, booked the Limerick to Nenagh fare for the same price as above. Still a lot more than the €16.99 I'd have had to pay out for a Limerick to Dublin Advance, but it's gotta be done. Oh and it's 0505 from Limerick I see. That's going to be an early start from the Ennis Road Travelodge then!

Last edited:

IR-Mark4/ICR

I believe something like 10 passengers a day have been reported

Average is 4 on the brach line before it join main Cork line and the numbers after that are not revelent as they are being taken off other services.

Techniquest

When will you be on the service becasue if its within the next 7 weeks or so you would do a direct return service from Heuston on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The 13.40 to Limerick is operating on the branch line thes days due to major road and bridge works taken place between Limerick J-Limerick Line and the service is only operate on the branch line to keep out waste of space TD happy so the 05.05 can run the following morning.

Departs Heuston 13.40 and Arrives Limerick at 17.05.

Costing €1,000 per day to run the 05/05

Techniquest

Veteran Member
€1,000 a day to run the 0505 Limerick to Heuston? That's a bit mad for the amount of passengers it gets, even the early morning Heart of Wales services (first ones I can think of that run at daft times through rural areas) do better than that!

Alas, I won't be able to do that alternative way during the works for the connection line during my trip. I fly over on the 29th and back on the 30th, having planned everything weeks before I knew of this alteration due to the works. My plan thus far is arrive into Dublin, get the 16 or 41A into town, LUAS from Abbey Street to Heuston, pick up my tickets, get my booked train on the 1130 Heuston to Galway, spend a bit of time there then get the 1630 (I think) Galway to Limerick. Travelodge Ennis Road for the night then an uber early start for the 0505 to Heuston via Nenagh before flying back with Aer Lingus to Birmingham and back to normal on the 31st :(

IR-Mark4/ICR

€1,000 a day to run the 0505 Limerick to Heuston? That's a bit mad for the amount of passengers it gets, even the early morning Heart of Wales services (first ones I can think of that run at daft times through rural areas) do better than that!

€1000 a day or €250,000 a year for a service at the request of a local TD. This line and the Westren Rail Corrodor are breaking IE. Since the service started and the shuttle service on the line was changed actual passenger numbers on the line have fallen even further.

Cheers for that advice, checked and indeed Castleconnell and Birdhill to Dublin Heuston come up but for some reason don't have any online fares. It won't even tell you how much it'll be on the day, which I find maddening.

Its becase booked tickets can't be collected at Castleconnell or Bridhill so bookings are not accepted at those stops.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Its becase booked tickets can't be collected at Castleconnell or Bridhill so bookings are not accepted at those stops.

I can understand it at the unmanned Castleconnel, but shouldn't they be available to collect at the booking office at Birdhill? I believe they can be collected from either TVMs or booking offices.

island

Veteran Member
I can understand it at the unmanned Castleconnel, but shouldn't they be available to collect at the booking office at Birdhill? I believe they can be collected from either TVMs or booking offices.

The ancient Almex dot-matrix printing machines in IÉ booking offices cannot print online tickets. At major terminals they have an additional computer which can, but in general tickets can only be collected from TVMs.

To prevent confusion, IÉ doesn't offer Advances from stations from which they can't be collected, except for special services in which case they are printed centrally and posted or carried on a train the day before.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ah, thanks. When I booked my advances for Connolly-Rosslare Europort in August online, it came with the a message saying that if I couldn't work the TVM at Connolly to ask at the booking office.

island

Veteran Member
Connolly is one of the stations with a computer system to print tickets off.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, as is Heuston going by my e-mail as I got the same sort as MattE2010. Although to be honest I'd expect those major stations to be able to do so. I'd have preferred them to post them, but I've never used the TVMs (other than to look up how much fares were during my Trekker out of interest) IE use. The DART ones, yes.

Won't be much longer until I can finally add a passenger to the daily count for the 0505! :D

IR-Mark4/ICR

Techniquest

Could you give the passenger count for the 05.05 on the brach line if you know it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sure can!

Limerick, just me getting on
Castleconnell, one person got on
Just before Nenagh, just 4 of us on
After Roscrea, just 5 of us on, two getting on which was a record for the trip that far.

Obviously that's not including crew. I assume one or two got off at Nenagh or Roscrea, but either way it was poor. Only a few got on at Ballybrophy too, only after Portlaoise did numbers start significantly increase. Kildare and Newbridge were the stops with the most people getting on, but even so our three coaches were never close to full.

Status
Not open for further replies.