• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

08 collides with HST Power Car in Laira depot (05/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Can't find any other places to stick it but Gen is that an 08 on Laira has collided with 43321 + 43005 and the 08 is embedded into the nose cone of 43321.

Source: a person on uk-rail group on groups.io

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
The word “collide” is a bit of a over reaction a train wouldn’t “collide” in a depot.

Tomnick

Established Member
The word “collide” is a bit of a over reaction a train wouldn’t “collide” in a depot.
A low speed collision is still a collision, whether it’s in a depot, gently touching the buffer stops at a terminus or accidentally coupling to the train behind when splitting off from another one.

Scientifically speaking...
A collision is the event in which two or more bodies exert forces on each other in about a relatively short time. Although the most common use of the word collision refers to incidents in which two or more objects collide with great force, the scientific use of the term implies nothing about the magnitude of the force.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
If two vehicles have unintentionally come into contact, or one vehicle has hit something that it shouldn't, then it is classed as a collision, even if no damage has occurred

On Moderation
Really? Assuming the message is correct and isn't hyperbole, then an 08 "embedded" in an HST nose cone sounds like a collision to me.

JN114

Established Member
Neither 43321 nor the depot 08 are involved. So the ‘gen’ is rubbish.

2x HST powercars have had a minor collision on the depot (1x XC, 1x GW). There is some minor damage to the GW powercar - Id be utterly astounded if it were a write-off.

pdeaves

Established Member
Neither 43321 nor the depot 08 are involved. So the ‘gen’ is rubbish.
Quite right (well, I don't know about exact HST power car number). Maybe, just maybe, reference was made to 'shunters' (people) or 'shunting' and the Chinese whispers changed it into a shunting loco (i.e. 08).

broadgage

Faceache's 'finest' wibble-merchants have already been running around like headless chickens saying that 43321's a write-off. I'll believe that when I see it.

Without having seen it myself, I would suggest that it might well be a write off, even with minor damage.
It appears virtually certain that a minority of HSTs will find other work including preservation and railtour operators.
It also appears virtually certain that significant numbers will be scrapped.
So why pay for repairs ? better to scrap the damaged vehicles surely, and keep undamaged ones.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
There is some minor damage to the GW powercar - Id be utterly astounded if it were a write-off.

They're old stock. Surely* it won't take much now to move a given power car from ' worth reusing' to 'send it to the scrapyard'?

*As in, I don't know, so I am happy to be corrected..

(ETA: and I now see @broadgage has already made this point.)

On Moderation
Without having seen it myself, I would suggest that it might well be a write off, even with minor damage.
It appears virtually certain that a minority of HSTs will find other work including preservation and railtour operators.
It also appears virtually certain that significant numbers will be scrapped.
So why pay for repairs ? better to scrap the damaged vehicles surely, and keep undamaged ones.
Without having seen it and without knowing what damage has been done, you then carry on anyway and post something of no value.

Just a load of made up dribble from many on this thread. Very much a case of wait and see.

Mathew S

Established Member
Without having seen it and without knowing what damage has been done, you then carry on anyway and post something of no value.

Just a load of made up dribble from many on this thread. Very much a case of wait and see.
@broadgage and others do have a point though. Why repair a power car, even if it's a relatively minor issue, if you can scrap it instead.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@broadgage and others do have a point though. Why repair a power car, even if it's a relatively minor issue, if you can scrap it instead.

Because the lease will tell you to return the unit in the condition you found it. Of course the leasing company may agree to scrap the unit but that is not a given

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I mean, why have the ROSCOs just stored the HSTs off-lease at the minute rather than outright scrapping them? They must think that there is some use out there for them still.

On Moderation
I mean, why have the ROSCOs just stored the HSTs off-lease at the minute rather than outright scrapping them? They must think that there is some use out there for them still.
There are other reasons why they have not been disposed of yet.

Edders23

The Roscos will be looking to maximise their value so they won't scrap them unless there is NO prospect of re-leasing them or selling them on which i would think could be a viable option as there are plenty of countries out there with long distance routes that need accelerating

as for the damaged units if they are part of leased sets repair might be cheaper than re-instating a stored replacement if it's only cosmetic damage

On Moderation
The Roscos will be looking to maximise their value so they won't scrap them unless there is NO prospect of re-leasing them or selling them on which i would think could be a viable option as there are plenty of countries out there with long distance routes that need accelerating
You think wrong, then. There are not plenty of countries that have a need for a 125mph diesel train. There is pretty much no market for them.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
A better reply would have been to add that the reasons are commercially confidential, as it is it sounds like simple one-up-manship. I suspect they will be added to the reserve of steam engines in a tunnel somewhere so it is national security but of course they will deny that, proving it is true.

Who is responsible for the stored vehicles? Are they still leased or back with the ROSCO? Either way I cannot see anything costly being done unless a new lessee is found. Meanwhile Cross Country and Hull Trains struggle on despite being short of rolling stock and already operating 125s.

Status
Not open for further replies.