• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

08483 At Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Last night 08483 was on platform 1 behind the 23.45 sleeper to Penzance, what was it doing there, and does it travel from OOC all the way to Paddington at 5mph?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ole man

What is it doing there?. Surely at 15 mph it would cause some delays, as Platforms 7-14 were blocked

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The sleeper is dragged to Paddington by an 08 if no 57 is available, typically if the booked 57 is out on thunderbird duties or just caput.

I don't think pathing would be too much of an issue at that time of the night!

Zoe

Established Member
The sleeper is dragged to Paddington by an 08 if no 57 is available, typically if the booked 57 is out on thunderbird duties or just caput.
So there would be a 57 on the other end providing the ETH?

ole man

Ah thanks, so the 08 drags it from OOC then it waits for the 57 to turn up, then goes back to OOC.
Do the 08's have the correct safety measures? OTMR?

Zoe

Established Member
I would hope so, it would be a long trip to Penzance behind an 08!
I was referring to the ECS move. Would the 57 be part of the formation from Old Oak Common to provide the ETH?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Ah thanks, so the 08 drags it from OOC then it waits for the 57 to turn up, then goes back to OOC.
Do the 08's have the correct safety measures? OTMR?

The train would be formed with a 57 on the country end as usual (normally it would be 57-coaches-57, with the London-end 57 being left at Paddington). As Zoe says, the 57 is needed to supply ETH.

I don't know what safety measures the 08 is fitted with, but as the train into PAD would be ECS I imagine there would be less stringent requirements?

ole man

I knew what you meant!!

So does the 08 have OTMR?, by the way the 57 was Tintagel Castle

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was referring to the ECS move. Would the 57 be part of the formation from Old Oak Common to provide the ETH?

I know, I was just being silly! I imagine that in principle the coaches could be brought to Paddington by an 08 alone and a 57 brought later, but AFAIAA it's always brought in with the lead locomotive already attached, otherwise the stock couldn't be brought into service until the 57 arrives (and this would take up another path).

Established Member
Believe 08s passed for mainline moves are required to have TPWS but do not require OTMR, presumably due to the low speeds involved.

ole man

So usually the sleeper will come in from OOC with a 57 at either end, failing two 57's, the 08 will shunt the coaching stock and the country end 57 into PAD, then when the sleeper has gone the 08 will trundle back to OOC?

TEW

Established Member
Quite often, at the moment 57605 is at Loughborough so unless the remaining three locos reach 100% availability the 08 has to be used. It's not ideal in the mornings because it means the 57 on the blocks at Paddington has to be left running to supply ETH, which is quite loud.

12CSVT

Established Member
Quite often, at the moment 57605 is at Loughborough so unless the remaining three locos reach 100% availability the 08 has to be used. It's not ideal in the mornings because it means the 57 on the blocks at Paddington has to be left running to supply ETH, which is quite loud.

Don't they hire a 57/3 from Virgin if two or more of their own 57s are out of traffic ?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

3? There's no run round at Penzance though is there? Or is an 08 always used there?

ole man

It was there again tonight, this time with 57604 Pendennis Castle on the front, it left just after the sleeper went, and was followed closely by a ECS HST on its way to OOC

TEW

Established Member
Don't they hire a 57/3 from Virgin if two or more of their own 57s are out of traffic ?

Usually, if they'll only be down to 2 locos for a couple of days though they might try to carry on with the 57s working to Penzance and the 08 shunting at London. Cotswold Rail 47s were hired when they were still around but Virgin 57s have been the usual hire in in recent years. With Virgin reducing the number of 57s they run it will be interesting to see what is used next time they need a hire in, a Network Rail 57/3 working the sleeper could be interesting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It does indeed propel from the station back to Long Rock in the morning.

The 08 is used to shunt sometimes at Penzance as well, mainly from Long Rock to Penzance when the train is longer than 7 carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.