• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G

Just read 08730 has been released from Glasgow Works to go down to Wolverton but is currently residing at Wishaw, does anyone know when it will be on the move again as its one of my last shunters needed for sight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Karl

On Moderation
In BR days on the WCML the connecting rods would be removed and the shunter added to a consist heading the way of Horwich Works.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Wouldn't fancy driving an 08 through Cumbria in the dead of night at 15mph!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Think in BR days the rods were removed and they were hauled in freights, I believe at the dizzy speeds of 25mph? Waiting to be corrected on this one.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Think in BR days the rods were removed and they were hauled in freights, I believe at the dizzy speeds of 25mph? Waiting to be corrected on this one.
I think you’re right. I remember that happening in the 1980s.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
35 Mph is what I recall. Which I believe was a standard top end for loose coupled trains. Could well be wrong though
Ah ok. That would’ve been pretty bouncy if you’d been locked in the cab!

D1537

In the late 70s/early 80s I got a brake van ride (wouldn't happen these days!) from Northampton to Bletchley in a freight which consisted of a couple of brake vans and a couple of crippled wagons, together with 08666 (rods removed) being returned from Rugby to Bletchley. The loco (25151) had been up earlier in the day with another 08 to take over from 08666 at Rugby. I was told the top speed was 25mph.

FFFC 57

In the late 70s/early 80s I got a brake van ride (wouldn't happen these days!) from Northampton to Bletchley in a freight which consisted of a couple of brake vans and a couple of crippled wagons, together with 08666 (rods removed) being returned from Rugby to Bletchley. The loco (25151) had been up earlier in the day with another 08 to take over from 08666 at Rugby. I was told the top speed was 25mph.
The 08 would also have had it's double reduction gears demeshed so the traction motors wouldn't turn, hence the higher top speed.

Mark G

No, i didnt see it in time unfortunatley, i Wolverton an easy place to view stuff in the yard?

SherwoodForest

A very late response to your message but I’ve just walked around the perimeter of Wolverton Works & no sign of 08 730. Best place to view is from Lidl car park where you can see a fair proportion of the yard. 08 752 was shunting this morning.

Have you seen 730 yet? It’s one of my last couple for sight too....

Mark G

Yes, still need it but I'm sure it will come off site sooner than later for some preserved gala like the other Wolverton one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.