• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

09:43 Euston-Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum112233

Just a quick question. I am travelling on this service from wigan and wondering if it is a pendolino or voyager?

Something tells me it will be a voyager.

Callum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Check FRD in the Traction & Rolling Stock forum, if it isn't listed otherwise then it should be a 390.

calc7

Established Member
I travelled on it this morning and have done previously. It's always been a 390 Pendolino.

bengolding

The 09:43 has been a Pendolino for some months now along with the return 16:00 GLC-BHM. The 10:52 EDB-BHM is also a 390 as is the 14:43 EUS-EDB.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Is the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread up to date, and if so are all Euston - Glasgow/Edinbrough services not listed on there Pendolinos*?

I'm planning a round trip from here in Wales (FGW (Fishguard) or AYW (Aberystwyth), I'm trying to find a postcode that will make NRE show trains from both), using the WCML in one direction to Carlise, then heading over the Carlise - Settle line and making my way back from, probably, Leeds. I really don't want to be on a noisy, claustrophobic Voyager with no window to look out of, but the map on Vrigin's website says their services to Scotland are a mix of Pendos and Voyagers.

*I am particularly interested in one I've found that goes from Euston to (I think) Edinbrough via Birmingham (leaves Birmingham N.S. at 16:20), I'd be planning to board it at Birmingham.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm planning a round trip from here in Wales (FGW (Fishguard) or AYW (Aberystwyth), I'm trying to find a postcode that will make NRE show trains from both), using the WCML in one direction to Carlise, then heading over the Carlise - Settle line and making my way back from, probably, Leeds. I really don't want to be on a noisy, claustrophobic Voyager with no window to look out of, but the map on Vrigin's website says their services to Scotland are a mix of Pendos and Voyagers.

*I am particularly interested in one I've found that goes from Euston to (I think) Edinbrough via Birmingham (leaves Birmingham N.S. at 16:20), I'd be planning to board it at Birmingham.

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C57201/2012/5/30
Should be a 390.
Or go up to Warrington on ATW and join a Euston-Glasgow 390 from there.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C57201/2012/5/30
Should be a 390.
Or go up to Warrington on ATW and join a Euston-Glasgow 390 from there.
Is what Open Train Times says the service is timed for actually what's booked for Virgin services then? I know on ATW, services that OTT says are timed for one type of unit are sometimes actually booked for a different type (timed for Pacers, booked for 150 in the case of 16:04 off Cardiff to Fishguard I think).

Trying to get to Warrington for a Euston - Glasgow is my plan B, but I still need a way of checking if a 390 or 221 is booked for the particular run I choose. If Open Train Times shows everything booked for a 221 as being timed for a 221, that'd be very helpful.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Surely a (West Coast tilting) 221 can keep to (well enough) 390 timings?

Eagle

Established Member
(FGW (Fishguard) or AYW (Aberystwyth), I'm trying to find a postcode that will make NRE show trains from both)

There won't be one, as it always shows the three closest stations, which more likely than not will be on the same line as each other (unless you balance it very carefully with somewhere exactly halfway between the two lines).

The Planner

Veteran Member
I believe timings for both are identical, so long as tilt is active on the 221.

No, there are certain sections where 221s cannot attain the same linespeed as the 390s. There won't be much in it, but the running times do differ.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So how do I find out which is booked for a given Virgin service?

All Euston-Glasgow (direct) trains are 390s.
All Euston-Chester-North Wales are 221 (except one Sat 390+57).

Birmingham-Scotland is pot luck these days, but still mostly 221s.
390s operate in 221 times on this route, so not easy to tell from the timetable.
They are also not always advertised as through trains Euston-BHM-Scotland.
There is a tendency to increase the number of 390s on this route as more become available, but it's still more often than not a 221.
If you find yourself on a 221 out of BHM, change at WBQ/WNW/PRE and wait for the next 390 (though you'd miss the reverse curves at Whitmore which are a highlight of a 390 run).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
All Euston-Glasgow (direct) trains are 390s.
Thanks. I assume that applies in the other direction as well, since my plans have changed a bit and I'll be going the other way around the circle and taking the 10:49 off Carlisle (a Glasgow - Euston direct service I beleive) on 5th June to Preston (from where I'm planning to go to Manchester to pick up the Milford Haven service which connects to Fishguard).

Pumbaa

Established Member
If you find yourself on a 221 out of BHM, change at WBQ/WNW/PRE and wait for the next 390 (though you'd miss the reverse curves at Whitmore which are a highlight of a 390 run).

Say what? 390s took the same route as the 221s I thought.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Say what? 390s took the same route as the 221s I thought.

Yes but over the same stretch the 390s feel like Silverstone at max tilt, while 221s just jiggle their way round the bends at lower tilt even if the speed is the same.
The "big tilt" WCML locations out of Euston are Berkhamsted, Linslade, Wolverton, Weedon, Rugby, Lichfield, Armitage-Rugeley and Whitmore.
You only get Whitmore on a BHM run.

North of Crewe it is rather tame until you are north of Shap (the twisty bits, eg up Grayrigg and over Shap itself, are also rather slow).
Some nice high-speed tilt alongside the Clyde north of Beattock, and great scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.