• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10 questions for you experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
Well, the whole of the country was out Christmas shopping today so with the festive period just around the corner, I thought it was time for my annual mini fun quiz, featuring some age old questions plus some new ones for you to tackle.

Just post your answers to the usual place, or text your answers to 81199. Viewers in Colchester may press the red button now. Answers may never be known and prize winners will be notified by post.

1.....Has anyone ever seen Harry Needle (of the railroad company)? If yes, can you post a picture?

2.....How much will it cost me to travel from Clapham to Peterborough at 16.15ish on the 24th December? I will not be returning and I will be buying the ticket on the day.

3.....Is Thameslink 2000 going to be completed in 2010?

4.....What British cities will HS2 link and when?

5.....If it costs Network Rail £1.5m to build a footbridge in 8 months, how much did it cost the Army to build one in a week?

6.....Does David Cameraon like trains?

7.....Turkey Street station is not a very cheerful place at Christmas. But, what other stations names on the network have yuletide connections.

8.....What does C2C stand for?

9.....'Save our Sleepers' have been campaigning for years, fearful of the impact of losing these vital components. But, they have been quite successful and there are still plenty around underpinning the railway lines. But where are the sleeper factories?

10.....Is anything other than jazz or folk played on music trains?

11.....Is Elaine Holt married?

Notes
- to answer number 4, you need to spend at least £18,000,000; if you haven't, you're just guessing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Well, the whole of the country was out Christmas shopping today so with the festive period just around the corner, I thought it was time for my annual mini fun quiz, featuring some age old questions plus some new ones for you to tackle.

Just post your answers to the usual place, or text your answers to 81199. Viewers in Colchester may press the red button now. Answers may never be known and prize winners will be notified by post.

3.....Is Thameslink 2000 going to be completed in 2010?

No, the project I believe will be on "hold" during the 2012 games but should be finished in 2015.

8.....What does C2C stand for?

LTS originally stood for London, Tilbury and Southend - the principal areas served by the railway back in its early days in the 1800s. But that was in the days of steam, before places like Basildon or Chafford Hundred were even thought of.

The name harks back 150 years and in no way represents today's personality of the communities the line serves or the vibrant new railway that is being created for the 21st century through a multi-million pound investment programme.

9.....'Save our Sleepers' have been campaigning for years, fearful of the impact of losing these vital components. But, they have been quite successful and there are still plenty around underpinning the railway lines. But where are the sleeper factories?

There's one at Tallington just north of Peterborough.

11.....Is Elaine Holt married?

Yes, she's happily married.

Death

Established Member
  1. Q: Has anyone ever seen Harry Needle? If yes, can you post a picture?
    A: Google image search returns this as the first result: <D<D<D
    needlethruarm.jpg

...Although I came across an ancillary result for D2246 as well. :razz:
  2. Q: How much will it cost me to travel from Clapham to Peterborough at 16.15ish on the 24th December? I will not be returning and I will be buying the ticket on the day.
    A: Given that trains normally stop running at around 12:00 on Christmas Eve, a London Taxi would probabally set ye back about £605.00 for the 110 mile journey at the peak charge rate. Good luck finding any vacant cabs on the day of thy journey though, especially one with a driver willing to go that distance! :lol:
  3. Q: Is Thameslink 2000 going to be completed in 2010?
    A: Knowing that lot, a Thameslink train booked to arrive at 20:00 and actually arriving at 20:10 would be a marked improvement on their usual level of service! :D
  4. Q: What British cities will HS2 link and when?
    A: I only have construction plans looking as far ahead as 2075CE, but at a rough guess I'd say Bradford and Leeds by that point...Assuming of course that the scheme doesn't run into unexpected delays. ;)
  5. Q: If it costs Network Rail £1.5m to build a footbridge in 8 months, how much did it cost the Army to build one in a week?
    A: £12.25 - The cost of fish & chips to feed the four Royal Engineers who put it together in about an hour, and which - Unlike an NR bridge - Will at least remain in safe service for 40+ years. 8)
  6. Q: Does David Cameraon like trains?
    A: Google finds a large number of people called "CameraOn", and the law of averages suggests that at least two of them like trains. :)
  7. Q: Turkey Street station is not a very cheerful place at Christmas. But, what other stations names on the network have yuletide connections.
    A: Expanding Yuletide into it's original Pagan context; Sheffield, York and Castle Cary all serve large populations of Vikings and other Heathens, to my knowlege. <D
  8. Q: What does C2C stand for?
    If I answer this one honestly, I'll probabally end up being banned from RailUK for obscenity...So I'll go for the safe option: A long-winded way of writing - Scientific notation for three parts Copper. :razz:
  9. Q: 'Save our Sleepers' have been campaigning for years, fearful of the impact of losing these vital components. But, they have been quite successful and there are still plenty around underpinning the railway lines. But where are the sleeper factories?
    A: As far as I know; All Sleeper rolling stock was built by the BREL works in Derby. 8)
  10. Q: Is anything other than jazz or folk played on music trains?
    A: My trains of thought frequently include the finest and most brutal of Black, Death, and Thrash Metal on their playlists! <D<D<D
  11. Q: Is Elaine Holt married?
    A: Can't find anything to suggest that she is, although the only number I can find for Elaine Holt starts with 09081... ;)
I don't know, but I look forward to seeing the [HS2] rail replacement bus
The good thing about that bus is that it'd go a little faster than the trains that use HS2, but trust me...Ye don't want to know which insane bar-steward is going to be driving the thing! :shock:;)<D

Z12XE

A: Given that trains normally stop running at around 12:00 on Christmas Eve, a London Taxi would probabally set ye back about £605.00 for the 110 mile journey at the peak charge rate.

Not true.
Not only do trains on that day run later than 12:00, NRES suggests dep. CPY at 16:59 and arr. PBO at 20:14 with one change at Leeds (18:15), fare £62.50 for an off peak single.

Dennis

Established Member
Most of those are answered now :D

No images of Mr Needle though or idea of the cost of the footbridge.

And GE, thats the journey I was thinking of; I was half expecting a bucketful of different answers from Clapham Junction; just checking if anyone took notice of the wording of the questions.

StewieG

Not true.
Not only do trains on that day run later than 12:00, NRES suggests dep. CPY at 16:59 and arr. PBO at 20:14 with one change at Leeds (18:15), fare £62.50 for an off peak single.

Why can't you goto Waterloo, Underground/Walk to Kings Cross - then straight upto Peterborough on the EC?

Surely its cheaper (and quicker) than going Via Leeds!

O L Leigh

Established Member
7.....Turkey Street station is not a very cheerful place at Christmas. But, what other stations names on the network have yuletide connections.

It's not exactly a bundle of laughs the rest of the year either.

However, staying on the West Anglia there is Angel Road. At a pinch you could also get away with (Christmas) Pudding Mill Lane on the DLR and Gospel Oak on the NLL, as the Christmas story was after all recorded first in the gospels.

O L Leigh

Z12XE

Why can't you goto Waterloo, Underground/Walk to Kings Cross - then straight upto Peterborough on the EC?

Surely its cheaper (and quicker) than going Via Leeds!

See Dennis' post above. The journey is from Clapham, not Clapham Junction, or Clapham High Street.

Capybara

Peartree I would have thought. And Cattal gets a mention in 'Away in a Manger'.

Plus Christ's Hospital and Marylebone, presumably.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Shepherd's Bush?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.