• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10 years of RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
London Midland 87s (or whatever it was) from Neilandrewhall was an absolute belter of a thread. Would probably have to go back and look through them all mind!

TAS

As a very occasional poster and on-and-off lurker for most of the last decade, I suppose I ought to offer my congratulations and hope for another successful ten years (and more!).

tbtc

Veteran Member
The nostalgist in me really enjoys a thread like this where old faces pop up again, makes you realise just how many newbies we've had in the last couple of years... then you get nostalgic for the posts of people who haven't posted in a year or more... and I say this as someone who missed the first few years too.

It'll be interesting to see how some of today's crop of "younger" members develop, as they go from their experience of the railway being "jollies on leisure travel, rinsing as much out of First Class as possible and having the time to play with things like All Line Rovers" to the hard pressed "daily grind of commuting on the same stock every day, where the railway becomes necessity rather than fun".

London Midland 87s (or whatever it was) from Neilandrewhall was an absolute belter of a thread. Would probably have to go back and look through them all mind!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39960

Possibly the best thread of all time, agreed - it ends very abruptly (I won't post any spoilers, as I'd recommend that people read through all six pages to see the plot/story develop...), but if this were ever one of those Forums to have a "gold" section then that's the first one I'd nominate :lol:

I'm member number 104 and have been here for almost all of the time the forum has existed. For the first 5 years or so I was a member of the staff team but as time went on and I became busier in real life I had to give it up. Then things got even busier and I stopped posting for a year or two. I contribute from time to time now, often from a different perspective as I've turned from being an occasional long distance traveller to a regular commuter!

Back in 2008? we were having a discussion about the future of the forum and the idea was mooted of having adverts to cover running costs, and if there was a surplus we could donate money to various railway causes etc. In the MSN Messenger conversation (now there's something else retro!) a couple of people were sceptical that we'd make enough money to cover the forum's running costs let alone having any surplus! I'm glad that there's been enough surplus to enable sponsorship of galas etc.

May the next 10 years be equally as successful!

It's your fault that I'm on here... I hope you're sorry! :lol:

the sad story of 'thefab444'

He was a very amusing poster, just the right balance of humour/ insight/ sarcasm/ enthusiasm - sad loss - kudos to 455driver for raising a toast to the guy, when driving 444 018.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39960

Possibly the best thread of all time, agreed - it ends very abruptly (I won't post any spoilers, as I'd recommend that people read through all six pages to see the plot/story develop...), but if this were ever one of those Forums to have a "gold" section then that's the first one I'd nominate :lol:

Cracking thread!

Definitely a big wind up.

Drsatan

Established Member
One thread (now sadly deleted) was one discussing when people had joined the 'mile high club', the 'metre high' club or even the 'ground level' club.

I can't think why that thread may have been deleted ;)

backontrack

Established Member
Quiz forum posts don't count towards your overall total ;)

I'm aware of this, I was querying into the total of posts I would have it the Quiz Forum did count. :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is your favourite thread of all time?

For the personal connection, I would have to go with Letter by Letter. It's something I'm very proud of, and I have the Quizmasters and my fellow contributors to thank for that.

This particular thread is a great one. It's nice to see everyone's memories of the forum, and what it's grown into. There's no nastiness or trolling on this thread. The 'fab444' one is similar. It's borne out of a horrible event, but it's lovely to see the community pull together and provide such lovely postings.

The thread you posted is a belter in terms of how funny it is. The 'memes and rage comics' thread also backs up my theory that this is the world's wittiest forum.

So, no, I don't have a definitive favourite. Letter by Letter, maybe.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'm aware of this, I was querying into the total of posts I would have it the Quiz Forum did count. :smile:

Go into Advanced Search, put your name in the 'Find posts by' box, and select 'Quizzes & Games' (or whatever it's called, I can't see it) from the forum list. In the results list, click the post tally for each thread and add them up.

backontrack

Established Member
Go into Advanced Search, put your name in the 'Find posts by' box, and select 'Quizzes & Games' (or whatever it's called, I can't see it) from the forum list. In the results list, click the post tally for each thread and add them up.

I don't see a 'post tally'.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
One thread (now sadly deleted) was one discussing when people had joined the 'mile high club', the 'metre high' club or even the 'ground level' club.

Oh crikey, that was an excellent thread! I can't remember much about it but it was certainly entertaining :D

Crossover

Established Member

Oh crikey, that was an excellent thread! I can't remember much about it but it was certainly entertaining :D

Deleted? Are you sure about that? ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've just re-read the first 19 pages (of 38!) of that thread, that was a nice trip down Memory Lane! Was it really 4 years ago?! :shock:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was once passing through a slam door train on route from Victoira to Haywards Heath. This would have post 2000. In the vestibule area two people were being busy. Either they were pretending or they really were up to the rail mile club. The woman wasn't being quite either. I decided it was better to carry on and leave them do it, whatever IT was.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was once passing through a slam door train on route from Victoira to Haywards Heath. This would have post 2000. In the vestibule area two people were being busy. Either they were pretending or they really were up to the rail mile club. The woman wasn't being quite either. I decided it was better to carry on and leave them do it, whatever IT was.

How vulgar - they could at least have found a compartment!

theblackwatch

Established Member
As many of you will be aware, as part of our 10th Anniversary celebrations, the forum is sponsoring the Spa Valley Railway's Diesel Gala which is now just two weeks away - more details at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110822 . In the next few days, we will be announcing a competition which gives you the chance to win a day rover ticket for this event. Watch this space for more details, and remember "you have to be in it to win it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.