• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1030 Arriva Trains Wales of Manchester to South West Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Don't usually make this journey. Is the 1030 off Manchester always booked for a 150? Seems the wrong type of unit for such a long journey. Was hoping for a 175! (and I'm sat near the toilet and it stinks!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Don't usually make this journey. Is the 1030 off Manchester always booked for a 150? Seems the wrong type of unit for such a long journey. Was hoping for a 175! (and I'm sat near the toilet and it stinks!)

Very rare for the MAN-CDF trains not to be 175s, usually 3-car.
Must be a bad day...
You really need the aircon on a day like today.

Pumbaa

Established Member
No, but it's not booked for a 175. It's usually a 158. The 1030, 1530 and 1930? off Manchester are all booked 158.

One of the Welsh posters has posted the exact timings before. The above could be an hour either side, I Cant quite remember.

It been a 150 since Wednesday due to a lack of 175's causing the 158's to be moved around!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Sadly ATW have little spare (partly because the 175s on the Manchester route are running into south west Wales, and not concentrating on the busiest section from Swansea/ Cardiff/ Newport to Manchester), so its a 150 from time to time.

In the circumstances I'd rather put a 150 on the Birmingham International - Holyhead route (which sees fewer longer distance passengers) and a 158 on the Manchester trip (if there aren't enough 175s) but that would require some swapping around of stock etc.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
After last nights mishap when a 175 hit 4 cows at St George's crossing in the Vale - another out of action ......

anthony263

Established Member
I think we really need 175002 back in service especially since it looks like ATW have now lost another class 175.

That said if it is only one carriage that is damaged from both unit last night and 175002 could the non damaged carriages be put together to form a hybrid set?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
What I've read on this fourm and others in the past is that all Manchester - south Wales services are booked for class 175s on weekdays (there's one class 158 booked on Saturdays, the rest should be 175s). ATW really need to get more slack in their long distance fleet (ie. introduce LHCS on franchise workings) to keep the 150s on short distance / suburban workings.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Sadly ATW have little spare (partly because the 175s on the Manchester route are running into south west Wales, and not concentrating on the busiest section from Swansea/ Cardiff/ Newport to Manchester), so its a 150 from time to time.

In the circumstances I'd rather put a 150 on the Birmingham International - Holyhead route (which sees fewer longer distance passengers) and a 158 on the Manchester trip (if there aren't enough 175s) but that would require some swapping around of stock etc.

Dont the Holyhead Birmingham 158s do a swop around at Salop for the Cambrian, thus ruling out 150s,I agree about ATW not concentrating on the busy sections.
ATW probably have nothing spare now.

Bob

Rich McLean

Established Member
From memory, when a Cambrian service arrives into BHI, it consits of 2x158's.

Either a 158 is left at BHI for an hour, while the other 158 forms the Holyhead service. The next service from Holyhead couples to the 158 left an international and forms the next Cambrian.

However, I think that has changed over the past couple years, where the Holyhead trains go from BHI to Shrewsbury as two 158's and split there, and that 158 left behind joins the next Holyhead service to Birmingham at shrewsbury, to give capacity on the Wolves to Shrewsbury line, which used to often be full and standing when I have used it.

I'm sure someone from ATW can confirm how its works now

Your certainly better off with hopper windows (150) than broken air-con (158).

All Line Rover

Established Member
Very rare for the MAN-CDF trains not to be 175s, usually 3-car.
Must be a bad day...
You really need the aircon on a day like today.

Manchester to Cardiff consists of a mixture of 2-car and 3-car 175's. A few are 158's (the 1930 off MAN is booked to be a 158), and this is bearable, if not the most pleasant experience. But to put a 150 on that route is ridiculous!

I don't understand why some of the 175's run as far as Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven. Surely they can't be that busy down there? (Considering most of the 175's "up here" are full and standing). In my opinion they should all terminate at Cardiff Central with connections on 158's and 150's for passengers travelling further afield.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What is the "comfort factor" of the seating on the 150 class, the 158 class and the 175 class on a journey length of Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central, as we may be making this journey quite soon.

175's - very comfortable, lots of space, quiet, lovely overall. Particularly with the aircon on in this heat.
158 refurbs - comfortable seats, if a bit narrow. Quite noisy compared to a 175.
158 originals - not a pleasant experience.
150's - REALLY not a pleasant experience, and extremely loud. Especially with all the windows open!

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
From memory, when a Cambrian service arrives into BHI, it consits of 2x158's.

Either a 158 is left at BHI for an hour, while the other 158 forms the Holyhead service. The next service from Holyhead couples to the 158 left an international and forms the next Cambrian.

However, I think that has changed over the past couple years, where the Holyhead trains go from BHI to Shrewsbury as two 158's and split there, and that 158 left behind joins the next Holyhead service to Birmingham at shrewsbury, to give capacity on the Wolves to Shrewsbury line, which used to often be full and standing when I have used it.

I'm sure someone from ATW can confirm how its works now
I'm not from ATW, but I'm pretty sure that most services are two 158s coming in from Cambrian, which go straight back out to Shrewsbury on the Holyhead service, leaving one unit at Shrewsbury which as you say couples to the inbound service from Holyhead to go back to Birmingham, then both head out on Cambrian. Might be a little different now, due to strengthening of some of these services.

Established Member
For ATW to use a 158 on the Crewe shuttles or North Wales Coast, and to put a 150 on the Cardiff Manchster, they need lynching.

gareth taylor

Yesterdays 1750 CDF to MAN should have been 175104. It was cancelled, then 150236 turned a couple minutes later to do the service. Arrived in to SPT 7/8 minutes late. It could have a 153 and a 142 doing it instead (heaven forbid).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
For ATW to use a 158 on the Crewe shuttles or North Wales Coast, and to put a 150 on the Cardiff Manchster, they need lynching.
Not as simple as that. It all depends on where units finish up the night before thus deciding where they are the next morning. Going back to an earlier post, only the 10 30 Manchester to Milford Haven is booked for a 158There are enough 175s to run the service but if not sufficient available on any one day, one has to improvise..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not as simple as that. It all depends on where units finish up the night before thus deciding where they are the next morning. Going back to an earlier post, only the 10 30 Manchester to Milford Haven is booked for a 158There are enough 175s to run the service but if not sufficient available on any one day, one has to improvise..
To add to this, all this has and still is being debated at length on another thread on the Forum in the Traction Section..

Rhydgaled

Established Member
only the 10 30 Manchester to Milford Haven is booked for a 158
I thought the only Manchester - Milford booked for a 158 was the one that leaves Milford at 13:08, and even then only on Saturdays with all weekday services being booked for a 175. Is the 10:30 off Manchester now booked for a 158 on weekdays and Saturdays?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I thought the only Manchester - Milford booked for a 158 was the one that leaves Milford at 13:08, and even then only on Saturdays with all weekday services being booked for a 175. Is the 10:30 off Manchester now booked for a 158 on weekdays and Saturdays?
Yes. We are covering old ground again here. There seem to be too many threads on different boards with different titles all referring to the same subject ie. WAG Express and ATW utilisation are the only ones required. People seem to start a new thread when the topic has already been posted elsewhere.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes. We are covering old ground again here. There seem to be too many threads on different boards with different titles all referring to the same subject ie. WAG Express and ATW utilisation are the only ones required. People seem to start a new thread when the topic has already been posted elsewhere.

This does not only apply to ATW and the WG Express. Many other topics come up regularly, just as they do on other forums! I think it is natural for unit diagrams 9plus XC HST diagrams of course!) to come up frequently, especially around the time of a timetable change.

Established Member
Last time I was on a similar service, it was a 142.

From.... Newcastle to Liverpool.

-- Arriva Trains Northern. I was it's guard :(

We did have a trolley, window labels and seat reservations sellotaped on.

Big Chris

Arriva seem to be pretty good at providing a unit, come what may, in difficult circumstances. A 150 providing the service; whilst worse than a 175, is better than no train. I think they should be applauded not condemned.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Arriva seem to be pretty good at providing a unit, come what may, in difficult circumstances. A 150 providing the service; whilst worse than a 175, is better than no train. I think they should be applauded not condemned.
No. They should provide a train fit for purpose. Why do people think not delivering is good?! We need to demand more from TOCs, not applaud them for failure.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
No. They should provide a train fit for purpose. Why do people think not delivering is good?! We need to demand more from TOCs, not applaud them for failure.
If they really only had 150s available we shouldn't grumble, but they have been keeping their 16 to 22 mark 2 carraiges, bought to increase capacity so I'm told, out of service...

Where's this other topic that mentioned extra 158 diagrams on Manchesters then? Could I have a link please?

Rich McLean

Established Member
Last time I was on a similar service, it was a 142.

From.... Newcastle to Liverpool.

-- Arriva Trains Northern. I was it's guard :(

We did have a trolley, window labels and seat reservations sellotaped on.

Dear god, I wonder how much tea got spilt :lol:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Can't you understand they probably would they have could. Again better than cancelling. In an ideal world units would never break down or disruptions occur that might throw them out of their working. Would you have waited an hour hoping it would have been a 175 ?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Can't you understand they probably would they have could. Again better than cancelling. In an ideal world units would never break down or disruptions occur that might throw them out of their working. Would you have waited an hour hoping it would have been a 175 ?

I completely agree. When I catch 1 150 home rather than a 175, I am just happy to be on the way. OK, I prefer a 175, but I would rather get home than have to wait for an hour for a service. Anyhting is better than nothing, and it is hardly ATW's fault if the farmers of Wales seem unable to use crossings properly.

anthony263

Established Member
I completely agree. When I catch 1 150 home rather than a 175, I am just happy to be on the way. OK, I prefer a 175, but I would rather get home than have to wait for an hour for a service. Anyhting is better than nothing, and it is hardly ATW's fault if the farmers of Wales seem unable to use crossings properly.

Speaking of farmers I hear that one which had the incident at Whitland with 175002 has been charged today.

I think his insurance company are facing a hefty bill.

SuperOwl86

Couple of months ago i used to travel on this service from Stockport to Hereford, Could never guess what would turn up more times than not was a 158. The last time I went to Hereford via Stockport I was unlucky to get a 150.

Since then I always go via New Street and catch the 170 Hereford train although the first time I started to go via New Street a 150 also turned up then.

Seems I am cursed.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm not from ATW, but I'm pretty sure that most services are two 158s coming in from Cambrian, which go straight back out to Shrewsbury on the Holyhead service, leaving one unit at Shrewsbury which as you say couples to the inbound service from Holyhead to go back to Birmingham, then both head out on Cambrian. Might be a little different now, due to strengthening of some of these services.

Are there diagrams that only run Birmingham International - Shrewsbury shuttles (being attached/ detached at Shrewsbury)? They'd be perfect for 150s (coupling up to 158s bound for Holyhead/ Cambrian).

After last nights mishap when a 175 hit 4 cows at St George's crossing in the Vale - another out of action ......

They should provide a train fit for purpose. Why do people think not delivering is good?! We need to demand more from TOCs, not applaud them for failure

So when a 175 is out of action for crashing into four cows, what do you suggest we do? Yes, there could be more units in reserve, but that'd be at the cost of having fewer daily services - should we cut down the number of services that ATW run just in case one hits a cow?

Status
Not open for further replies.