• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10th August London Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

I started at Ladywell and waited for the 9:15 to Beckenham Junction, this was the train with Sprinter, FGWfan and H-O-W. I had already done the Beckenham Junction spur but obviously the others hadn't. At Beckenham junction, we watched an 8 Car VEP formation which was heading for Canterbury West or Ashford, then we crossed to the Tramlink platforms and bought some Travelcards.

A Tram pulled in, so we took the front seats behind the cab (sadly the driver had the blind down :cry: ) and headed for East Croydon. Here we changed to Route 1 tram to...

...Apere way, for Ikea! This was Sprinter's idea to go for Breakfast at the cafe in Ikea, which wasn't a bad idea. While James and Julian had a full english (for 95p :shock: ), I just bought a chocolate muffin and Orange Juice for £2.10 :shock: :x.

Afterwards, it was back to the tram to mitcham junction, where we got a Box machine to Balham, the Northern line to Kings Cross-St Pancras (on the Way, Martin loved making the announcments!)
At St Pancras, we did some spotting (spotting the HSTs and Meridians) and we saw the 9 car meridian but some STUPID MML woman stopped me, told me not to use Flash photography F**K off to her. By the time the train did stop, there were too many people in the way. Thanks a lot to that woman :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x <( <( <(

Then we went over to Kings Cross to do some spotting (saw a Hulltrains Pioneer departing for ... well guess!) and we saw a GNER HST ticking over ready to form the 14:00 to Aberdeen (HST thrash non stop to York) several "Milk Floats" (365s to the inexperienced because've their motor sounds) a White Rose arriving from Leeds and a 91 Mallard set departed for somewhere. Then over to Euston, me and H-O-W took the circle line, Sprinter and FGWfan took the Victoria line?
No sign of any LHCS sets at Euston, so we went to the silverlink platforms to get a 313 to Harrow and Wealdstone. At Harrow and Wealdstone (sooo hungry at this point) we went to the McDonalds to buy some McFlurrys (H-O-W bought a Dairy Milk one, I bought a Caramel one :) :D) back at gthe station a Class 90 came whizzing through on a Freightliner train (which was nice and Chilling).

There was no delay to our next service, a Southern Class 377 to Clapham Junction, we saw quite a few units on the way, a 220 from Brighton to Manchester at Kenny O, Class 90s and 66s in Wembley Yard. We spent an Hour and a half at Clapham Junction seeing a tonnage of 377s, 455s, 460, 450s, 444s, 170s,159s you name it-we saw it. A 12-VEP formation came through on ECS and 'bout 30 mins later it came on the 17:17 Victoria-Seaford/Littlehampton? train (where's the CIGs when you need 'em).

After a While, it was over to Platform 6 for the 17:53 to Shepperton via Strawberry Hill which was a 8DES formation (Martin and James sat in declassified FC) while me and Julian stood up for the run. At Fulwell, we alighted but Martin and James didn't, they stayed on 'till Hampton, so we let a Box Machine go and the next train to Waterloo wasn't till 18:54, a 30 minute wait THIRTY :shock: :x So we got the 18:43 over to Hampton and re-joined Martin and James.

It was a 450 to Waterloo but James, Julian and Martin wanted to go to Chessington South to Tick the line off, I almost did but was feeling tired so I only just caught a box Machine to Waterloo, a 465 to Lewisham. Here I had to wait 40 minutes for a 484 FORTY! The 20:13 shouldv'e gone, the 20:28 should've gone and the the 20:35! Eventually it came at 20:42 and I got home at 20:58.

A great trip but some bits I've mentioned were the bad parts

This trip would be an 8/10

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Galvanize said:
we saw the 9 car meridian but some STUPID MML woman stopped me, told me not to use Flash photography F**K off to her. By the time the train did stop, there were too many people in the way. Thanks a lot to that woman :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x <( <( <(

So you would rather blind the driver, and potentially cause him to collide with the Buffers?

Dont call people names if they are doing their job, lest you want people to do the same with you when you are in a position of authority later in life, safety must always come before photography.

T

Tom

Most railway enthusiasts know not to use flash photography - its in the guidelines. Stop complaining Jamie - Galvanize would not have used flash. :roll:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Did he make that clear? He said he was told not to use Flash Photography, not that he didnt, or did use flash photograpy, either way you shouldnt call people names.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jamie, quit moaning. The 222 had STOPPED. The woman, the second one who thought she was Mrs. Uppity (the first one had made me lose all faith with MML again), had thought she'd better (seemingly at least) tell me off for photting, using flash as a reason. I said to Galvanise afterwards 'Who uses flash in the middle of the day anyway?!'.

Anyway, enough moaning myself. My version of events:

Awoken at 0648 by James' phone call (I'm sure the others in my dorm were happy with me talking), informing him I'd be there in 30 minutes. Suffice to say it took me an hour to reach CJ.

Met James back at Waterloo, we went to Waterloo East and get a 465/9 to LB. From here, we got the 0906 to Beck. Junc.

The Ikea breakfast was nice, although I'm sure the others will remember my moaning about the trams. 95p though?! I need an Ikea near more stations! I celebrated when the box machine approached Mitcham Junc., it being my third of the day!

By now, I'm peeved at not having my books or highlighting pens, although I am happy to finish the Croydon trams triangle and got another two stations ticked off. Same problem the day before...

At STP, I scored a new 222 and a 43, taking me to 14 more to go! Getting the 9-car one was a nice bonus.

KX, got some more numbers, James celebrates in style/maniacally when he finishes his HT 222s. Sprinter and I then get the Victoria line to Euston, where we wait for a while for the others to arrive. I pick up a ton of TTs. Spotted, went to H+W (James had the same idea as me, in that it's bloody boring now, been there too much!), got 377208 to CJ for more numbers (I got 3 new 92s here!).

At CJ, I temporarily go to Sainsburys Local for drinks and food (I didn't indulge in the privilege at H+W, not enough change), met back up on p12 with the others, spent 2h 3m spotting here!

We eventually get the 1753 to Shepperton. No-one told me why we had to get that one, I had been wondering why we had to get that one in particular all day. Galvanise and I stood to Twickenham, where we sat down, but realistically could have done FC. Pity we didn't, needed to do it over that limited curve. Galvanise and I alighted at Fulwell, as I was told that was the plan. We then get another 450 to Hampton and joined Sprinter and James in FC back out.

James suggests alighting at Raynes Park for the Chessington South line. I stroke my chin for ages, then say yes. We alighted there, Galvanise announces he needed to return home (I didn't have time to shake his hand, all the drink had suddenly hit my bladder by now), Sprinter, James and I got a box machine to Motspur Park to tick it off, then got the Chessington South train, which was a pair of refurbished BMs!

James alights at Chessington North to tick it off, Sprinter and I went to South. We find out later how close it is to North! We travelled in the other unit back, when I suddenly realise that for over 24 hours I'd not been on a diesel train! I then started missing the diesels! James re-joins us at North, where we found out how far we'd been away!

We go all the way to Waterloo, where we change for the Tube lines. Sprinter lost his Oyster card somewhere, I picked up a form to get my own one. I then left the group at the Jubilee/Bakerloo entrances, I got lost finding the Bakerloo (don't ask how), filled in the form for the card on the way to Padd. Got the card there, the ticket office staff member looked at the form and seemingly wondered why I wanted one...

I got 360202 to EB, then 201 back to Padd. The announcer is annoying!

I suddenly got surrounded by diesels again, a large grin came on my face when I watched 43130 start up! I get a BK meal (yes, I'm ashamed of myself) in order to use my 20% at certain outlets at Paddington voucher. Couldn't get any Millies Cookies, it was shut. Never mind, next time. I couldn't be bothered getting the sleeper stock numbers, saw 47840 at the city end though. No pic mind.

43091 heads us to BP. At Swin, an announcement is made to say we're diverted, the set being in reverse formation after BP. I think it was 137 on the front then, I can't remember.

I arrive home at 0250 or so, I eventually (by now I've been up for over 20 hours!) sleep about 10 mins later. Took me til 1307 today to wake up!

I'll do a report for Day 1 of my battle royale soon.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Jamie, quit moaning. The 222 had STOPPED. The woman, the second one who thought she was Mrs. Uppity (the first one had made me lose all faith with MML again), had thought she'd better (seemingly at least) tell me off for photting, using flash as a reason. I said to Galvanise afterwards 'Who uses flash in the middle of the day anyway?!'.

FGWFan, you quit moaning. Galvanize's post actually suggests (to me anyway, and obviously also to Jamie for him to post what he did) that he was using flash, that the train was still moving when the he was told not to use flash, and that he couldn't get a picture without flash when the train had stopped because of people in the way.

This may or may not have been the case, however Galvanise didn't make himself clear and so his post has been interpreted (rightly or wrongly) as above.

As for the comment about 2 staff, this suggests (again possibly incorrectly) that you were warned/told already before the 2nd woman who prevented you from getting a photo. As for using flash in the middle of the day, quite a few digital cameras default to Auto Flash Detection and decide that flash is needed during the middle of the day and therefore any use of flash may not have been intentional anyway.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Galvanize said:
we went to the McDonalds to buy some McFlurrys (H-O-W bought a Dairy Milk one, I bought a Caramel one :) :D)

:shock: :o all I can say is yuk! (I make a living making that sh**) lol

moving on sounded like a good trip chaps!

Galvanize

The first woman only commented on the fact we were trainspotters, she didn't say anything about photography. The Second Woman was the one who gave me that unnecessary talk about Flash, (The flash was OFF anyway) and by the time she finished talking, the train stopped.

FGWfan: I had a highlighting pen in my bag yesterday, if you said so, I would've been more than happy to let you use it :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Marv, the first woman at SP pissed me off because she was basically anti-spotter. Certainly didn't want to let us get the numbers. Well I can be anti-MML, I can avoid MML like the plague. Certainly not hard, I've certainly managed no travel with MML since...I believe late September 2004!

Galvanise was waiting to take his photo after the 222 had stopped. OK, keep that in mind. He had a couple of seconds to get the shot before the passengers got in the way. The woman took these few seconds up telling him not to use flash. A camera that uses flash in the middle of the day is not worth having. If she'd buggered off to the barrier to ensure no fare dodgers got through (which was her job), then everything would have gone fine, I might have considered forgiving the other woman for not being enlightened enough to understand that we have our hobby, she has her own (I assume), she could leave us alone to do our work.

Anyway, that's my two pence on this subject for the time being.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
That's because St. Pancras operates a Barrier Policy, you are only allowed onto the Platforms if you are travelling, and only when boarding has commenced, at all others times you are not allowed, mainly because of security reasons, it would be very easy to leave a bomb down the end of the platform.

FGWFan said:
The woman took these few seconds up telling him not to use flash. A camera that uses flash in the middle of the day is not worth having. If she'd buggered off to the barrier to ensure no fare dodgers got through (which was her job), then everything would have gone fine, I might have considered forgiving the other woman for not being enlightened enough to understand that we have our hobby, she has her own (I assume), she could leave us alone to do our work.

Her job is to ensure the safe operation of the Station in which she works at.

Why would the other woman need forgiving for doing her job! And your work? Taking photo's and getting numbers is not work, it's a hobby, most Trainspotters actually take pride in Englands Railways and dont put down Railwaymen and Women for doing their job.

T

Tom

Final say here and this thread is locked...

Indeed, many trainspotters do take pride in what railway(wo)men do. Unfortunately, some railway(wo)men like to destroy this pride in them. Unfortunately, as was shown here, this was the case, however, they could have bought a platform ticket which would have allowed them to take photos without a problem - BUT, this is to note from the ATOC Railway Enthusiast guidelines:

ATOC said:
At major stations please inform the Duty Station Manager of your presence. This will ensure that station staff are aware that you are on the station and they can go about their duties without concern as to your reasons for being there. At smaller stations you should ensure that you advise a member of the station staff of your activities.

Thread locked by TC 14:01.

Status
Not open for further replies.