• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

11 car Pendolino today

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

Back in the UK and my first rail journey was aboard a 11 car Pendolino earlier on the 12:55 Manchester - Euston.

Coaches A & B (presumably the extra 2 coaches) were locked out of use and Wi-Fi is not activated on board. Despite this, had a great non-stop run from Crewe - Euston.

Are the 11 car 390s passed on all Virgin routes aside from Manchester - Euston? They are desparately needed on the Euston - Glasgow services, especially on Fridays when declassifying coach G is now the norm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
I believe the extra coaches are lettered F and U. When the lengthening is complete the 11 coach trains will be seen across the WC network, platforms have been lengthened where necessary.

Crossover

Established Member
Yep, F, U are two extra coaches....(oh the fun that can be had...)

Both standard with one being a motor and the other a trailer

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe one of the Coventry platforms, and Wilmslow and Haymarket (as well as another whose name has escaped me) will remain SDO and won't see any extensions (I believe work at Wilmslow is limited by the viaduct).

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe one of the Coventry platforms, and Wilmslow and Haymarket (as well as another whose name has escaped me) will remain SDO and won't see any extensions (I believe work at Wilmslow is limited by the viaduct).

I presume platform 4 at Coventry. Not normally used by Pendolinos so shouldn't be a problem

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
P4 at Coventry and P6 at Rugby both cannot accommodate 11-car trains. Both are very rarely used by Virgin. I've never been in P6 Rugby and only once been at P4 Coventry in the last year, and that's on about 750 single journeys on the West Midlands route.

dangie

My first 11 car Pendolino passed me at Rugeley Trent Valley going southbound at approx 0650 Wednesday morning. Don't know which one or which route. Presume it was Manchester-Euston.

krisk

Not sure about 55 but there have been a lot of diagram changes today so who knows

dvboy

Established Member
Been on a few 11 cars now.

Apparently the original plan was to re-number the First Class cars so you'd have A-G in Standard, and H-L in First.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I've seen at least 5 11-car Pendolinos this week. Not the new ones, but lengthened ones. A number of empty ones have been turning up at Crewe on platform 6, waiting a few minutes, and then leaving. Trial runs maybe?

I noticed the one the OP was on as I passed by on the 12:49 arrival. I didn't realise the two extra coaches (the ones nearest First Class) were out of use. Seems odd.

Mr Spock

I've seen at least 5 11-car Pendolinos this week. Not the new ones, but lengthened ones. A number of empty ones have been turning up at Crewe on platform 6, waiting a few minutes, and then leaving. Trial runs maybe?

I noticed the one the OP was on as I passed by on the 12:49 arrival. I didn't realise the two extra coaches (the ones nearest First Class) were out of use. Seems odd.

I thought that only 2 of the original ones (07 and 31) have been lengthened to 11 cars so far.

The Op said coaches A and B were locked out of use which would be the first 2 standard coaches not those next to first class which would be coaches F and U.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I thought that only 2 of the original ones (07 and 31) have been lengthened to 11 cars so far.

Do you mean lengthened and in service, or just lengthened? As I've only seen 1 lengthened one in service in addition to the one the OP was on today.

Pumbaa

Established Member
107, 131, 154, 155, 156 and 157 are all lengthened and in service.

Dreadnought

107, 131, 154, 155, 156 and 157 are all lengthened and in service.

Is 157 definitely in service? Not seen any reports (except the one in this thread) of 157 having run anywhere. Not even sure it has been out on a test run yet since it was delivered.

Also, I believe 131 is still in the test running phase. I saw it today running Edge Hill - Euston and return.

NathanPrior

Had an 11 car one on the 20:04 Preston to Euston yesterday..it somehow managed to get into Euston 7mins early despite being 4mins late at Preston

Wilmslow Platform 4 (Southbound) has been extended, and has 11 car stop signs. Not sure about Platform 3 (Northbound) - will take a look next time I'm there. Platforms 1 and 2 don't normally see Pendo's, except during engineering work, when services are diverted via the Styal line.

Mr Spock

Do you mean lengthened and in service, or just lengthened? As I've only seen 1 lengthened one in service in addition to the one the OP was on today.

I was responding to your post where you said "I've seen at least 5 11-car Pendolinos this week. Not the new ones, but lengthened ones. A number of empty ones have been turning up at Crewe on platform 6, waiting a few minutes, and then leaving. Trial runs maybe?" which I took to mean 5 other than 390154-157.

I never said that they were in service only that they had been lengthened.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Had an 11 car one on the 20:04 Preston to Euston yesterday..it somehow managed to get into Euston 7mins early despite being 4mins late at Preston

Maybe something to do with the 49 minutes it was booked between MKC and Euston? http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C56918/2012/4/28

On a good run it is possible to do that in 30, however those times allow for running on the Slows if the Fasts are closed, so if you stayed FL all the way you'd certainly pull a good 15 mins back.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
390107 has just left BHI at around 1120, towards New Street. Might be the 1003 Eus Bhm?

Status
Not open for further replies.