• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1119 kings cross - newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is in reverse formation ie 91 at london end - cant say i have ever had a 91 push out of kings cross! The first class types have miles to walk for once!

Is this becuase of the engineering works?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Most likely.

Leeds-KX services have been reversed at Newark to travel via Lincoln and Spalding.

graham43404

Is in reverse formation ie 91 at london end - cant say i have ever had a 91 push out of kings cross! The first class types have miles to walk for once!

Is this becuase of the engineering works?
They had better get that one sorted for tomorrow or there will be some letters being fired off to the Daily Wail :lol:

rail-britain

Established Member
Leeds-KX services have been reversed at Newark to travel via Lincoln and Spalding.
Surely if it reverses on the way southbound, then northbound it is back in correct formation...
More likely an imbalance has occured, so there will be a few sets in reverse fomation
Quite easy to sort, as above, change of diagram to use Newcastle
Could also be turned at Leeds (but is a bit involved)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Any service terminating at or heading north of Newcastle can be used for turning it back round easily enough- might pick up a bit of a delay mind if heading north.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Surely if it reverses on the way southbound, then northbound it is back in correct formation...
More likely an imbalance has occured, so there will be a few sets in reverse fomation
Quite easy to sort, as above, change of diagram to use Newcastle
Could also be turned at Leeds (but is a bit involved)

Where can you turn it at leeds? apart from shipley? I dont think they would turn it there. Happy to be corrected.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Where can you turn it at leeds? apart from shipley? I dont think they would turn it there. Happy to be corrected.

Apart from Shipley you can't, not without usuing a diesel to tow it anyway. HSTs can be turned in service without reversing as long as nobody minds skipping the Wakefield stop.

There is (or used to be) a late arriving HST booked to arrive in Leeds from Doncaster via Micklefield, could be a MML service I am thinking of rather than East Coast.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
As Colton Jn to Neville Hill is not electrified, then 91's cannot run Leeds -York.

I'm also struggling to see how the route round the triange you've described would turn a set (even a diesel). However, there is a loop for HSTs travelling north from Doncaster using the Hambleton Jn chord near Selby, allowing an approach into Leeds from the east and then departing west back south to Doncaster. Was that what you were thinking of? GNER had plans to electrify Hambleton Jn to Neville Hill would have made that loop accessible to electric stock as well (but of course that didn't materialise).

philjo

Established Member
There is that electrified triangle immediately south of Leeds station - can 225s use this or is it limited to EMUs?
It was used to access the temporary Leeds whitehall station by the the Airedale/Wharfedale EMUs.

Established Member
There is that electrified triangle immediately south of Leeds station - can 225s use this or is it limited to EMUs?
It was used to access the temporary Leeds whitehall station by the the Airedale/Wharfedale EMUs.

Don't think that junction is electrified fully enough to fit a 225 set in. Also I doubt whether there are enough paths to do so at Leeds these days.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Don't think that junction is electrified fully enough to fit a 225 set in. Also I doubt whether there are enough paths to do so at Leeds these days.

According to Quail the electrification does not extend as far as the points on either side of the south of the triangle.

Even if possible it would be a disruptive move in a very busy part of the railway.

It just highlights how unusual Newcastle is that a set can be reversed in service with only a very minimal delay.

Established Member
According to Quail the electrification does not extend as far as the points on either side of the south of the triangle.

Even if possible it would be a disruptive move in a very busy part of the railway.

It just highlights how unusual Newcastle is that a set can be reversed in service with only a very minimal delay.

When Virgin used to run the XC 47s LHCS, there used to be one going from Newcastle to Bristol which never would need to reverse. Even though this used to be the case, there were a few times where the 47 was detached at Newcastle and sent round the loop to the other end, no idea why though.

Jonny

Established Member
The reason for Newcastle's layout is historical - the High Level was built first in the era of Queen Victoria and had a triangle junction at the south end. This fed into the east end of the station, meaning that anything coming from the south and heading for Edinburgh via what is now the ECML would have to reverse. The west end fed out onto what is now the Forth Branch, but used to run through to Carlisle (joined the current route from Blaydon).

The current ECML approach from the south is over the more westerly King Edward bridge, named after the reigning monarch at the time of construction, enabling trains from London to come in from the west and head for Edinburgh via Berwick without reversing. It also has a triangle junction at the other end; both these triangle junctions are linked and so a train can approach from south of the river, go over one bridge, through Newcastle station then over the other bridge and come back the other way without reversing.

Flying Snail

Established Member
When Virgin used to run the XC 47s LHCS, there used to be one going from Newcastle to Bristol which never would need to reverse. Even though this used to be the case, there were a few times where the 47 was detached at Newcastle and sent round the loop to the other end, no idea why though.

How was that achieved? Aren't the only lines accessible southbound from Temple Meads without reversing the Main to Weston S M/Taunton and the Portbury branch?

On a similar topic the early Holyhead-Birmingham-Holyhead when it was 47+Mk2 operated would normally loop around Birmingham usually via Bescot and Aston on it's southbound trip and take the regular route to Wolverhampton on departure.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

to even out wear and tear perhaps?

Established Member
How was that achieved? Aren't the only lines accessible southbound from Temple Meads without reversing the Main to Weston S M/Taunton and the Portbury branch?

Not entirely sure, never made it as far as Bristol when they were running, but managed to cab a 47 one night at Central and the driver told me the train was in effect, doing one large circular journey (saying that, I think it was Bristol, although this was a good 10-15 years ago now).

DarloRich said:
to even out wear and tear perhaps?

Could well be, although it seemed to happen irregularly. Also thought it might have to do with route knowledge over the bridges across the Tyne.

Status
Not open for further replies.