• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

11car pendolino 3rd pantograph???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the coach "u" on the pendolinos that were extended from 9 to 11 cars have facilities to accommodate a third pantograph. Could anyone please confirm or explain why this is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Apparently the coach "u" on the pendolinos that were extended from 9 to 11 cars have facilities to accommodate a third pantograph. Could anyone please confirm or explain why this is?

It's because the third transformer required to support the additional traction motors in the MSO comes in a coach that would ordinarily be a PTSO, and to save money they simply built more of the existing transformer coach design, complete with pantograph well.

Although as I understand it no pantograph will ever be fitted to this vehicle.

ash39

Established Member
That's interesting, sure I saw one yesterday with 3 pantographs. Obviously only one operating. I'll check my photos.

Gareth

Established Member
Can someone tell me what the plan is with the 11-car pendolinos? Are they planning to lengnthen all of the exisitng pendos or will some remain 9-car? If the latter, what services are getting lengthened and when?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can someone tell me what the plan is with the 11-car pendolinos? Are they planning to lengnthen all of the exisitng pendos or will some remain 9-car? If the latter, what services are getting lengthened and when?

Not all are going to be lengthened (stupid decision I know but that's the DfT for you), 31 of the exiting units will be lengthened and the four new builds (one replacing the Grayrigg write off) will also be 11-car units. The details of which services are going to see the most of the new units escapes me right now but I'm fairly sure that Glasgow is going to be entirely operated by 11-car units.

ukrob

Established Member
That's interesting, sure I saw one yesterday with 3 pantographs. Obviously only one operating. I'll check my photos.

You didn't. As has been said, three wells but two pantographs.

dave87016

Established Member
AFAIK so far the 11 car pendo brigade are 107, 131,141,154, 155, 156 an when passing Longsight on Wednesday I noticed 036 had 11 carriages but hasnt yet been renumbered - I expect it will if it hasnt already before it goes back into passenger service

WatcherZero

Established Member
If memory serves the London services would almost all be 11 car length while the Birmingham northward services would be the 9 car, Chester, Liverpool and some Manchester. However there would be flexibility to alter for special events or particularly busy peaks.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Sniff sniff - expect all WC bids to have some degree of promise to pick up the tab for getting the remaining sets lengthened.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 'pantograph' well contains more than just the pantograph, the circuit breakers to connect the tranformers and pans to the roof mounted 25 kV bus line are up there as well.

So it isn't an empty space without a pantograph...

route:oxford

Established Member
Not all are going to be lengthened (stupid decision I know but that's the DfT for you)

DfT probably worked out that if there were 11 car pendolinos operating between Glasgow and Birmingham, they would have to do something about the 4 car voyagers operating between Manchester & Reading.

Things are tight enough when a 5 Car Voyager connects with a 4 car Voyager at Wolverhampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.