12 car trains south of Tunbridge Wells

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by N Levers, 23 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N Levers

N Levers On Moderation

I'm confused. I was on the 18.03 Charing Cross - Hastings today and all 12 carriages continued past Tunbridge Wells (where the back four normally detach) to Hastings. It was my understanding that this couldnt happen due to power supply limitations south of Tunbride Wells and that these limitations were the main reason that Thameslink wont go south of Tunbridge Wells and the reason there are only 8 car trains currently. Any ideas?...

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

This is expected at some point in the future, but I can't remember why or where I saw it.

I'm coming straight back, watch this space...
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    This is where I read something to this effect: http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/december-2011-timetable-changes/

It's the bits like
    Errr... I'm not exactly sure what this means in the context of your observation, sorry.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2011
  4. N Levers

N Levers On Moderation

Thanks for that

"18:03 Charing Cross to Hastings will start at 17:59 and will operate as a 12 car train throughout to Hastings, no longer detaching a portion at Tunbridge Wells."

Guess today was just a test

5. mister-sparky

mister-sparky Member

yes they were going to trial in from the timetable change, but seems as though they've started it early.

6. Anonywave

Anonywave Member

It seems that the 12 Car EMU's to be built for Thameslink would take up more power than 12 Car 375's.

Anyway, I was sure that most of the stations south of Tunbridge Wells did not have 12 car platforms. St Leonards certainly doesn't.

7. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

Here in the South East we are blessed with the miracle that is Selective Door Opening :D. Reduces sardining by that little bit extra. :D

The East Grinstead line is getting 12-car trains, but I don't think they've lengthened Riddlesdown, Woldingham, Lingfield or Dormans (I don't use two of these very much, so don't quote me :D) so SDO will be used there as well. 'Tis no uncommon thing. Although to make best use of it you would hope they intend to lengthen everything eventually.

8. N Levers

N Levers On Moderation

The doors on the rear 4 didnt open at any station south of Tunbridge Wells except Hastings. And even at Tunbridge Wells the last 2 cars can't. Only 2 stations south of Tonbridge can handle 12 without SDO, High Brooms and Hastings

9. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

This is a trial , agreed between SET and NR .......

10. pendolino

pendolino Member

Those four aren't used by as many passengers as Sanderstead/Oxted/East Grinstead so are being left as they are. Riddlesdown would be difficult to lengthen anyway as the station is stuck between the tunnel and the overbridge so there's not a lot of room.

Sanderstead and Oxted are finished, Grinstead is nearly there - crossovers and signals moved and commissioned, just the platforms to finish (as of last week when I was last down there anyway). The substation upgrade works are virtually compete too - energisation notices have been in the last couple of WONs.

A 12 car test train was run recently to check the SDO is functioning correctly. All working OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.