• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

12 carriages on Cambridge villages

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn72

Not sure if it's anything to do with the Brighton Mainline closure but the morning the 0813 from Meldreth was 700143. Never have I seen 12 carriages call at the villages.

I knows it's possible going South using SDO but according to RTT the train ran to Cambridge North bedorehand calling at the villages. So can 12 carriages call when going North?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mervyn72

Might thought was that the driver has to be on the platform. Can't be if going North due to level crissings

bramling

Veteran Member
Not sure if it's anything to do with the Brighton Mainline closure but the morning the 0813 from Meldreth was 700143. Never have I seen 12 carriages call at the villages.

I knows it's possible going South using SDO but according to RTT the train ran to Cambridge North bedorehand calling at the villages. So can 12 carriages call when going North?

The timetable has various amendments due to the Brighton works. There’s even some 365 pairs on midday Cambridge-KX semi-fast workings for those who appreciate a retro experience.

However, are you 100% sure this was definitely a 12-car? The reason I ask is that following it back the diagram starts from Letchworth sidings, and it’s hard to see how a 12-car would get there to make it up.

AM9

Veteran Member
Might thought was that the driver has to be on the platform. Can't be if going North due to level crissings
Whilst it might be inconvenient for traffic at the crossing to wait a minute more for a rural station dwell, is there a physical reason why the leading cars cannot stop at the platform?

mervyn72

The timetable has various amendments due to the Brighton works. There’s even some 365 pairs on midday Cambridge-KX semi-fast workings for those who appreciate a retro experience.

However, are you 100% sure this was definitely a 12-car? The reason I ask is that following it back the diagram starts from Letchworth sidings, and it’s hard to see how a 12-car would get there to make it up.

Yes it was definitely 700143. My suspicions arose when on the PIS at Meldreth, the 08:13 was shown as formed of 12 coaches.

Whilst it might be inconvenient for traffic at the crossing to wait a minute more for a rural station dwell, is there a physical reason why the leading cars cannot stop at the platform?

Not sure. I know that there are many locations where the driver is positioned beyond the platform at station stops as I've seen stop boards for HST's show this but those services have a guard. Maybe someone more in the know regarding DOO trains can shed light?

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes it was definitely 700143. My suspicions arose when on the PIS at Meldreth, the 08:13 was shown as formed of 12 coaches.

Bit of a mystery then.

The train appears to have stuck to diagram, the only possibility is that it didn’t start from Letchworth for some reason - perhaps started empty from either Cambridge sidings or Hornsey depot for some reason. With a reduction in the number of FLUs working due to the Brighton works, this could be the explanation.

It doesn’t appear to have been a booked working - as the journey to Cambridge North was booked to start from platform 9 at KX, which means it must have been booked 8-car. This would tie in with the diagram starting from Letchworth sidings.

Doesn’t really answer the question about the level crossings though! Perhaps it’s acceptable as an out-of-course thing, but not acceptable to *plan* on the basis of trains overhanging a crossing?

bengley

Established Member
No reason why trains can't overhang a crossing. Happens regularly on the East Sussex coast.

philjo

Established Member
Bit of a mystery then.

The train appears to have stuck to diagram, the only possibility is that it didn’t start from Letchworth for some reason - perhaps started empty from either Cambridge sidings or Hornsey depot for some reason. With a reduction in the number of FLUs working due to the Brighton works, this could be the explanation.

It doesn’t appear to have been a booked working - as the journey to Cambridge North was booked to start from platform 9 at KX, which means it must have been booked 8-car. This would tie in with the diagram starting from Letchworth sidings.

Doesn’t really answer the question about the level crossings though! Perhaps it’s acceptable as an out-of-course thing, but not acceptable to *plan* on the basis of trains overhanging a crossing?
I saw mention on the GTR journey check that a couple of stopping services were 12 coaches instead of 8 - I think it said this was due to a train fault. So I assumed they substituted a unit. Might be a shock for passengers at the back of the train trying to alight at WGC, Hatfield or Potters Bar !

AM9

Veteran Member
I saw mention on the GTR journey check that a couple of stopping services were 12 coaches instead of 8 - I think it said this was due to a train fault. So I assumed they substituted a unit. Might be a shock for passengers at the back of the train trying to alight at WGC, Hatfield or Potters Bar !
Well, provided that the driver gave an announcement to that effect in good time, the class 700s are easy to walk through to those cars that would stop by the platform

Not sure. I know that there are many locations where the driver is positioned beyond the platform at station stops as I've seen stop boards for HST's show this but those services have a guard. Maybe someone more in the know regarding DOO trains can shed light?

I think the rule is that you can't overrun a signal at the end of the platform to SDO, so in the up direction would have to overhang the crossing, which as noted above I expect is OK on an exceptional basis but not booked.

As an aside on West Anglia, where once the 720s arrive will peak time be a mostly 12 car equivalent railway, many platforms are currently 8 car and the franchise agreement only specifies Elsenham, St Margarets, Ware and Enfield Lock for extension, all which have a signal which would cause overhang over a crossing. No extension planned at various other stations where SDO will apply.

westcoaster

Established Member
SDO on the 700's only works front to back. Not back to front. So a 700 can't stop with the front of the train not available.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
No reason why trains can't overhang a crossing. Happens regularly on the East Sussex coast.
There are a large number of places where it happened historically and continues to happen today.

Is there anywhere where it didn't happen historically that has begun in the past few years, or could begin from now on?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Has appeared a couple of days. But runs non-stop from Royston - Cambridge.

I had it on Tuesday on 1721 London - Cambridge.
I understand it appeared on 1651 London - Cambridge North yesterday.

Dwells seemed to increase but the driver announced well in advance so no dramas south of WGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.