• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

12 Hour Pacer Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d1015fan

depends when in september. late september but would be harder for me then a northern would have their 142's back by then supposedly

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Think the only pacer bashing i'll be doing, is when they start going to the scrapyards and i can go to town on them with a cutting torch.<D<(

Well,its looks like that I am NOT the only one who dreams of "Pacers going to that great scrapyard in the sky". Put me down to be your chargehand when you start work with the cutting torch....I'll be using my sledgehammer on the smaller bits!!!

jon0844

Veteran Member
If everyone who hates a Pacer was asked to pay £50 to be able to go along and smash up part of it, could they raise enough to buy a new fleet of DMUs?

I'd maybe pay £100 and I've only been unfortunate enough to travel on one about twice in my life.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
i was thinking countrywide pacer bashing e.g wherever is local to you. so if your northern then you have 142, 444's and South Wales and South West we have the 142, 143. a north v. south pacer bash so to speak. glory of being the 12 hour pacer basher for the person who gets the most mileage in on a 142, one for a 143 and one for a 144. Do you know I have never thought about this pacer bashing business til yesterday.

So are we gonna find some fgw pacer bashers or is it just me who'se gonna be doing them.

Ooops!!!! My level of protection afforded by my computer system appears to have failed. It looks like despite all attempts at keeping a "safe" computer, I appear to have accessed a SADO-MASOCHISTIC site in error.

Shall I have to get the computer engineer in to re-programme?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If everyone who hates a Pacer was asked to pay £50 to be able to go along and smash up part of it, could they raise enough to buy a new fleet of DMUs?

I'd maybe pay £100 and I've only been unfortunate enough to travel on one about twice in my life.

If everyone who hates a Pacer, as you say, would contribute £XX (this could be done by a weekly £5 deduction from wages/salaries) and you added all the other travellers who suffer in silence (say £1 weekly into the fighting fund with a free lottery ticket to be drawn from the total pot), it would do more than get a new fleet of DMU's (as you know, new DMU's are not allowed in the North of England), it would get us a CASCADED fleet of other regions cast-off's (standard railway policy).

You say that you have only travelled twice on them ( Sounds like the Bond film "You only live twice!!" ) This brings the old saying to mind "ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY!!"

Ivo

Established Member
You could have joined 4SRKT and me on the Swansea District a few weeks ago... ;)

I am not as anti-Pacer as I used to be. Having done Pembroke and the District on them, they actually seem like decent little units. And they're not bad on the Severn Beach line either. It's just when they do the likes of the Tarka that you hit problems.

d1015fan

You could have joined 4SRKT and me on the Swansea District a few weeks ago... ;)

I am not as anti-Pacer as I used to be. Having done Pembroke and the District on them, they actually seem like decent little units. And they're not bad on the Severn Beach line either. It's just when they do the likes of the Tarka that you hit problems.

No they are nice little units. All these modern ones it feels like have little or no personality. But a 142 bobbing up and down along the dawlish sea wall gives them something different.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Not meaning to spoil anyones fun here, I spent 9 hours on the c2c 'Last Blue Train' tour and that was a nice comfy Class 357 EMU and I can tell you that got very uncomftable so I couldn't imagine what it'd be like on a 'Pacer'...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Have you ever flown on Virgin Upper Class, having first been picked up by a limo driver and taken to the Virgin club house, where you can swim, have a drink, shoot some pool and have a haircut and facial. Then when the flight is ready, you're invited to board and have a pre-take off glass of champagne, only to be looked after and pampered throughout the flight, with a driver awaiting your arrival to take you to wherever you wish to go...?

I'm fairly certain that this is what the Pacer experience is like...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Have you ever flown on Virgin Upper Class, having first been picked up by a limo driver and taken to the Virgin club house, where you can swim, have a drink, shoot some pool and have a haircut and facial. Then when the flight is ready, you're invited to board and have a pre-take off glass of champagne, only to be looked after and pampered throughout the flight, with a driver awaiting your arrival to take you to wherever you wish to go...?

I'm fairly certain that this is what the Pacer experience is like...

....And then I woke up!!!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
i like that. shame the 142's will be lost down this way in june

I think that the Newton Abbot area is actually just the area to send down all the ailing and infirm Northern Rail Class 142 Pacers, to help them convelesce in June.....and when they are better, you can arrange regular sea-air trips for them from Newton Abbot to Torre, Torquay and Paignton as part of the attractions for the Summer Season.:D

Yet another pipe-dream, borne out of desperation!!:cry: Still, hope springs eternal, as they say.

pacer-pete

I've just done an afternoon of pacer bashing. 142053 Wigan to Southport. 142035 Southport to Salford Crescent. 142049 Salford Crescent to Wigan Wallgate. 142047 1821Wigan to Rainhill. Must say it was very enjoyable (not that I'm biased of course!)
I'm totally behind any plans for a 12 hour pacer bash.

If anyone is interested in preserving a Pacer - why not check out the Pacer Preservation Society? http://pacer-preservation.webs.com is the website. Adverts for the PPS are in this month's Railway Magazine and Railways Illustrated.

d1015fan

I think that the Newton Abbot area is actually just the area to send down all the ailing and infirm Northern Rail Class 142 Pacers, to help them convelesce in June.....and when they are better, you can arrange regular sea-air trips for them from Newton Abbot to Torre, Torquay and Paignton as part of the attractions for the Summer Season.:D

Yet another pipe-dream, borne out of desperation!!:cry: Still, hope springs eternal, as they say.

thanks. we usually get all the stuff from elsewhere sent this way. summer saturady 143 to newquay from bristol what an enjoyable trip that would be

Status
Not open for further replies.