• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1227 Southampton Central to Great Malvern 27/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Evening all,

Ill be using the above service tomorrow and does anyone have any idea what class is likely to be working this service ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Last time i saw this service it was a single 153 with another being attached at Bristol TM or Gloucester

BestWestern

Established Member
This is one of FGW's 'any train will do' services, bit of a lucky dip! What was it in the end?!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Most of the Great Malvern - Weymouth/Southampton Central get a lucky dip on the class that serves them. It could be any of (of which I've seen so far):-
  • Class 150/1
  • Class 150/2
  • Class 150 x2
  • Class 153
  • Class 153 x2
  • Class 158
  • …even a class 143 :shock:

It's a complete gamble.

BestWestern

Established Member
Most of the Great Malvern - Weymouth/Southampton Central get a lucky dip on the class that serves them. It could be any of (of which I've seen so far):-
  • Class 150/1
  • Class 150/2
  • Class 150 x2
  • Class 153
  • Class 153 x2
  • Class 158
  • …even a class 143 :shock:

It's a complete gamble.

Not likely to be a 143 as they don't venture out onto the Southern region, thank god! But yes, it's certainly something of a mixed bag on this one; can't even say what livery the thing is likely to be in at the moment! :D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Pacers not allowed beyond Warminster. Goes back a long time when Southern Railtrack were apprehensive of them being unable operate track circuits reliably. Third rail issue also but seemed to be an obsession on Southern only. No problems in North of England including Merseytail.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
143s have been to Eastleigh Work for attention. Special dispensation was granted for the one off movements.

Was on a packed summer single unit from Worcester Foregate Btreet to Bath Spa - absolute hell... no trolley service and my 2 litre bottle of water disappeared rapidly.

At least with the "new" units coming down in non FGW colours I have added to my photo collection of the strange mixed sets running Portsmouth to Cardiff and return recently.

C

ushawk

Established Member
I did see a couple of 150's attached to a couple of FGW 158's on the 27th - all were pretty full up.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Was on a packed summer single unit from Worcester Foregate Btreet to Bath Spa - absolute hell... no trolley service and my 2 litre bottle of water disappeared rapidly.

At least with the "new" units coming down in non FGW colours I have added to my photo collection of the strange mixed sets running Portsmouth to Cardiff and return recently.

C

I had no trolley service on 1V97 (2030 Manchester-Cardiff) this evening either, was desperate for a cuppa!

BestWestern

Established Member
I did see a couple of 150's attached to a couple of FGW 158's on the 27th - all were pretty full up.

This is likely to become a fairly frequent occurence now whenever Ports Hbr - Cdf Cen runs are strengthened, mainly at weekends. FGW have now formed all but two of the 158 fleet into 'hybrid' three car sets, which means all that's left for strengthening purposes is 150s. And just lately every 150 we've had coupled to a 158 seems to be a /1 with no through access! :roll:

TEW

Established Member
Could do Exeter-Cardiff on one before the timetable change, been replaced by Penzance-Cardiff by 150, not sure what's worse.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Could do Exeter-Cardiff on one before the timetable change, been replaced by Penzance-Cardiff by 150, not sure what's worse.

Exeter to Cardiff is run by Pacer's, except for the Paignton service which is now in the hands of a 158.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Doubt there's one booked. Not usual late night.

The conductor said 'Unfortunately there is no trolley service on board this train this evening', so I wondered whether there usually is one but not today for some reason or other, or whether he was just simply saying the norm; but you're right, there isn't one booked.

The conductor told us that there was either a vending machine or a cafe available at Hereford as we were stopping for about five minutes or so, despite the fact that our train was running about 10-15 minutes late.

TEW

Established Member
Exeter to Cardiff is run by Pacer's, except for the Paignton service which is now in the hands of a 158.

No 143s run through Bristol any more. There is only a couple of through Exeter-Cardiff trains, most start/terminate at Taunton. A 143 did a return run Exeter-Cardiff in between the Exeter are peak until December, one 143 also ran Weston-Bristol Parkway services and two were on the Severn Beach Line. All have been replaced by 150s now. You'd have to go back to before December 2008 to find 143s operating a large number of services in the Bristol area, they were transferred to Exeter when 5 of the 12 142s returned to Northern.

Status
Not open for further replies.