• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

13.30 Euston - Glasgow Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I'm looking at using this service in a few months time, possibly 1st class. Timetable says that a Hot Lunch or Evening Meal is service on this train - question is, what would a passenger get food-wise from Euston through to GLC? Would it be Hot Lunch and Evening Meal or just Hot Lunch then drinks etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just an Evening Meal from Preston northwards, judging by the shading on the timetable. Please note that this service comes with a busyness warning on Fridays :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which means Light Bites from Euston-Preston.

All Line Rover

Established Member
"Light Bites" before Preston, "Light Bites Enhanced" after Preston. "Light Bites Enhanced" can consist of a burger, panini, or something similar, but is not an evening meal.

Established Member
Right - still confused. Where does it mention Ligh Bites Enhanced? Reading the timetable I would have said the same as Matt - Light Bites then the Evening Meal.
Actually, I've just found the pdf "First Class Food Service between London and Glasgow". So looks as if I'll be on one of the 3 trains that doesn't get either a breakfast or evening meal.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Actually, I've just found the pdf "First Class Food Service between London and Glasgow". So looks as if I'll be on one of the 3 trains that doesn't get either a breakfast or evening meal.

Yes, that is correct. The London to Scotland route offers a different First Class service to all other routes, so thst is the document you should refer to.

The main point about the London to Scotland route is that all services offer at least some hot food in First Class - not necessarily a full Breakfast or Evening Meal, however. Unfortunately. :(

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used this over the summer. You get some sort of cold lunch on departure from Euston (sandwiches or a cold quiche with potato salad for me) drinks runs several times during the trip then after Preston they will come round with some sort of hot food (can't remember exactly what it was now) I would say it was more sort of a hot snack certainly not a meal however. Kept me going quite happily during the somewhat long journey to Glasgow (then again I had fuelled up with an EC breakfast before that ;)).

Established Member
From experience, what would you suggest - either getting this 13.30 and having light bites and the hot snack, or instead getting a later train (so evening meal but getting off sooner?

Bsically I have two choices - Euston - Glasgow with the light bites/enhanced light bites, or Euston - Carlisle with an evening meal.
Kept me going quite happily during the somewhat long journey to Glasgow (then again I had fuelled up with an EC breakfast before that ;)).

That is the plan ;) Newcastle to London and back.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I used this over the summer. You get some sort of cold lunch on departure from Euston (sandwiches or a cold quiche with potato salad for me) drinks runs several times during the trip then after Preston they will come round with some sort of hot food (can't remember exactly what it was now) I would say it was more sort of a hot snack certainly not a meal however.

I have been impressed by Virgin's salads of late. I had "smoked trout salad" last week, which had dried on-the-vine tomatoes, spinach, lemon juice, as well as a few other items - it was delicious! :)
From experience, what would you suggest - either getting this 13.30 and having light bites and the hot snack, or instead getting a later train (so evening meal but getting off sooner?

Bsically I have two choices - Euston - Glasgow with the light bites/enhanced light bites, or Euston - Carlisle with an evening meal.

Virgin's Evening Meal is nothing to rave about - the portions are small and the quality mediocre. I certainly would not pay extra to travel on an Evening Meal service!

Last edited:

Established Member
I have been impressed by Virgin's salads of late. I had "smoked trout salad" last week, which had dried on-the-vine tomatoes, spinach, lemon juice, as well as a few other items - it was delicious! :)

Virgin's Evening Meal is nothing to rave about - the portions are small and the quality mediocre. I certainly would not pay extra to travel on an Evening Meal service!

Cheaper for me to get the 13.30 all the way to GLC and even get an advance between GLC and Newcastle than get the evening meal service to Carlisle and free travel on Northern.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is the plan ;) Newcastle to London and back.

Ahh fair enough :) I did the same this summer (just about) and did Darlo - London - Glasgow and back to Darlo (via Edinburgh). It was a good trip, but I was ready to get off the train at Glasgow, it's a long way.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Cheaper for me to get the 13.30 all the way to GLC and even get an advance between GLC and Newcastle than get the evening meal service to Carlisle and free travel on Northern.

Well then, a pleasant journey to Glasgow on Virgin, followed by another pleasant journey to Newcastle via Edinburgh, or stopping short at Carlisle and travelling on a Pacer for hours for the sake of an Evening "Meal?" Make up your own mind. ;)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well then, a pleasant journey to Glasgow on Virgin, followed by another pleasant journey to Newcastle via Edinburgh, or stopping short at Carlisle and travelling on a Pacer for hours for the sake of an Evening "Meal?" Make up your own mind. ;)

Bearing in mind that 142094 obviously likes Pacers and that the Tyne Valley line is as scenic as the ECML at Alnmouth, I'd say it's quite close!

Harlesden

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person in the world who intensely dislikes salad and doesn't regard it as proper food. I would never pay money for it and, as someone's guest, would politely refuse it if offered it.

Established Member
I'd probably rather have the Pacer than the evening meal...

Decisions decisions.

SS4

Established Member
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person in the world who intensely dislikes salad and doesn't regard it as proper food. I would never pay money for it and, as someone's guest, would politely refuse it if offered it.

No, you're not the only one. In my (rather cynical) experience salad seems to be a ploy to cut done on meat and certain veg and to bump up the price to cater to the posh market

All Line Rover

Established Member
No, you're not the only one. In my (rather cynical) experience salad seems to be a ploy to cut done on meat and certain veg and to bump up the price to cater to the posh market

Not necessarily. I like salads that contain meat or fish, or nice cheese, or nice dried tomatoes, or a combination of the three. I don't just like leaves! :lol:

And I suppose this is slightly on-topic seeing as we are discussing Virgin's First Class catering, which contains salads. ;)

bengolding

The 'Light Bites Enhanced' is effecitvely an Evening Meal on the Super Voyager, i.e. a (not very filling but relatively tasty) hot option in a small rectangular plate, such as a Goats Cheese Tart, Chicken and Asparagus Risotto or an Indian Curry of some sort. I was told once by Customer Relations that only customers doing the full London-Glasgow journey are entitled to it but I've never ever seen any First Class host on Virgin checking tickets, always leaving it to the TM.

This week's sandwich options of Cheese and Beetroot or Crayfish were disgusting :(. Who comes up with these sandwich combinations? The salad box tends to be a closely guarded secret, not being advertised unless one specifically asks for it!

Established Member
This week's sandwich options of Cheese and Beetroot or Crayfish were disgusting :(. Who comes up with these sandwich combinations? The salad box tends to be a closely guarded secret, not being advertised unless one specifically asks for it!

That is a bit worrying as I don't particularly like cheese and cannot stand most seafood.

34D

Established Member
Oh, I like a good salad. I don't mean a bowl of lettuce/cucumber/tomato though, I mean pasta etc with sundried tomatoes and a few leaves

cyclebytrain

Don't know about the Crayfish; but the cheese and beetroot is actually rather nice. I'd prefer the mexican bean wrap, but compared to the lettuce and tomato salad box <shudder> the cheese and beetroot roll is heaven on a plate!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is a bit worrying as I don't particularly like cheese and cannot stand most seafood.

Can't remember the sandwiches on my run (the quiche was nice though ;)) but at least one of them seemed to contain a bucketful of beef as part of the filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.