• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

14 tickets just to get to york

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaax

Just got my tickets to go to York form Ipswich - 14 tickets in total, and if I loose one of them I get charged a very large amount.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
I take it these are tickets to go there and back, and that some of them are seat reservations?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just got my tickets to go to York form Ipswich - 14 tickets in total, and if I loose one of them I get charged a very large amount.
No way do you have 14 tickets just to go from Ipswich to York.

You will have 14 coupons in total, which will be for at least one of the following possibilities: a return trip, multiple passengers or including cycle reservations.

Several train companies appear to want to charge a premium for longer distance journeys. Fortunately sites like trainsplit allow us to get around these premium longer distance fares.

najaB

Veteran Member
Do you have 14 tickets, or 14 pieces of card?

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Well next time, you can just buy the more expensive non-split ticket. Then you'll just have one, or two, or four pieces of card to worry about losing (depending on whether single or return, and on whether old or new style Advance tickets, or flexible tickets with reservation coupons).

Oh, and losing out on the saving too.

RJ

Established Member

Agree with above post - you could buy an Anytime Single for that journey and not prebook seats - then you get one ticket which is free of restrictions. Problem solved

infobleep

Veteran Member
Agree with above post - you could buy an Anytime Single for that journey and not prebook seats - then you get one ticket which is free of restrictions. Problem solved
That might not be as much fun. :)

Very curious to know all the tickets for this journey.

Simon11

Established Member
I had '9' paper mag stripes tickets issued for one off-peak return journey from London to Tywyn. Note this is just one purchase, no splits or anything!

BigCj34

Not as bad as the chap who went to Oxford from Newcastle with 56 tickets between two people. He ended up missing the match he was supposed to go to anyway as his girlfriend fell and burst her lip so had to go to A&E.

While its satisfying to make a split saving, it's quite farcical as well. Loading tickets to a smart card could help.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Split ticketing saved my bacon last week when I needed to get from Swindon to Newcastle having lost all of my tickets. Non split advance fares were pushing towards three figures, while splits at Banbury, Leamington, Sheffield and York saw a fare for £41.10 36hrs in advance!

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.