• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1408 Edinburgh - Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
I've tried to book a ticket for this train twice at the station and apparantly 'it doesn't exist' even though I can show them it on NRE on my phone.

Any idea why this is? It isn't really a problem; I'll book it online tomorrow but I was just curious

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
What type of ticket are you requesting?
Which station are you using?

Agreed, it does exist, operated by XC
Perhaps the assistant is searching route via Preston

Ouch, the current fare is not cheap, the 14:51 is cheaper

Last edited:
You may already know this but virgin have a direct service at 1451 which gets to Birmingham at about the same time, could be worth comparing prices

Established Member
Aye sounds as if they are looking for a Virgin train and forgetting that you can go via the ECML with XC. Had a similar problem when asking for information about the couple of trains to Glasgow Central from Newcastle that go via Carlisle - one member of staff was adamant there wasn't a service until I said I wasn't going via Edinburgh.

rail-britain

Established Member
You could travel on the 14:08 with :
Edinburgh - York
York - Nottingham (change Derby)
That appears to be nearly the same price, advance single and Day Single

edit :
Same with the 14:51
Edinburgh - Crewe
Crewe - Nottingham
Again, those fare total to about the same, which is quite typical when you mix advance with Day Single

Last edited:

David Goddard

Established Member
Back to the original question, it is often the case that slower services do not automatically appear on the ticket office screens.
For example, as part of our ALR, we went to book two seats on the 0900 Shrewsbury - Swansea via the Heart of Wales. The clerk entered "Shrewsbury" to "Swansea" but the service didnt come up as there was a faster later service (0940) via Cardiff that was quicker. I asked her to enter "via Dolau" (the first station on the HoW that I could think of that I knew how to spell), and the 0900 then came up!

Status
Not open for further replies.