• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

15/08/17 Waterloo derailment and disruption (latter likely to continue to 16/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its all gone horribly wrong for SWT this morning

https://www.journeycheck.southwesttrains.co.uk/

Due to a fault with a set of points and an operational incident between Vauxhall and London Waterloo:
What's Going On:
Train services running to and from these stations will be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
What We're Doing About It:
There is a fault with a set of points on one of the lines approaching London Waterloo. This means that we are unable to use two of the 5 lines into and out of the station. This is expected to cause some delays to services, while trains use the available lines.
In addition, we are investigating an operational incident near Waterloo station, which will cause further disruption.
We are strongly advising you not to travel at this current time on our network to or from London Waterloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just seen photos on Facebook of what looks like a derailment and collision right outside Waterloo

randompixel

It's backed up all the way to Woking. We've been stopped outside Esher for about 10 minutes now. The guard obviously doesn't read Twitter as he's only just mentioning "incident at Vauxhall"

Some photos on BBC Breakfast this morning showing a passenger train titled diagonally next to a platform, next to a freight train with Network Rail on the side, apparently derailed after striking the freight train.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Searle

Established Member
Looks like a 456 is using a works train as a leaning post at the station throat. Bit awkward.

As seen on Twitter (not my account);
https://twitter.com/JamieLinks/status/897333868214325250

This is being described as signalling problems here at Guildford :lol:

SWT just advising we don't travel this morning. Easier said than done, considering I have a job to get to :|

Going to be a slow morning, another shambles. I knew it was too good to be true having one day of no delays yesterday.

Oh dear that looks like it'll take a bit of sorting out, access to the site being a major concern, and lots of blushes and embarrassing questions on all sides, doubtless

Antman

Established Member
The advice is to avoid Waterloo for the rest of today following a collision between a 456 and a works train.

randompixel

I wish the guard was a bit more forthcoming. Still saying "congestion due to incident under investigation" whereas everybody on the train has seen the pictures by now...

Makes him seen the least informed in this smartphone age where nothing can be covered up.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Just passed it on very delayed main line departure. Only Windsor Lines seem to be in use. 456 on the front of an outbound suburban service almost looks like it has been diverted at points into the side of a ballast train, and is derailed.

Searle

Established Member
I've noticed there have been many points failures since the start of the works. Is this because points that are not normally used in regular service are now being used because of the works?

If so, why were they not tested before the works started?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ion-train-derailment-collision-freight-delays

A South West train appears to have crashed into a Network Rail freight carriage at Waterloo station – the busiest station in Britain – this morning.

Witnesses report seeing paramedics, police, firefighters and engineers rushing to the scene.

People are being told to avoid London Waterloo station all day.

With the picture they've got is it just down to the angle the camera is at or is one side lifted off the rails?

gavin

Why are national rail not saying a train has derailed? when the pictures are widespread across twitter and the BBC

"What South West Trains are doing about it:

There is a fault with a set of points on one of the lines approaching London Waterloo. This means that South West Trains are unable to use one of the 5 lines into and out of the station. This is expected to cause some delays to services, while trains use the available lines.

In addition, South West Trains are investigating a problem near Waterloo station, which is expected to cause some further delay."

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yesterday I was thinking the teething issues with the signalling, points etc. around Waterloo have passed and then we have a points failure at Vauxhall. I've jinxed it!

Then this morning I was thinking the operational incident will be a SPAD involving just one train and although serious, it won't cause as much disruption as the issue at Vauxhall is going to cause.

At this point, 7am, they were expecting disruption to last until 13.00

Now for a quiz. Who can tell me which trains depart Guildford and 03 and 33 passed the hour?

Trains departing from Guildford at xx:03 and xx:33 towards London Waterloo will be cancelled.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/169398.aspx
https://www.journeycheck.southwesttrains.co.uk/southwesttrains/

Also trains are being cancelled today which don't appear in Journey Check as bringing cancelled. E. G. 7.16 Guildford to, Waterloo. They are also advising where trains are terminating more generally but that isn't happening in all cases. They are not putting in the part cancellation of trains either.

It seems that Journey Check if the staff inputting into Journey Check cannot cope today, such is the extent of the problems. It's not a criticism of them, just a statement of facts as I see it. So I'd exercise caution when it comes to looking at disruption information online.

I was planning to head via East Putney diversion route today but I decided, perhaps I best not. Haha. I have still decided to travel mind you. However I don't need to actually go into Waterloo itself.

Guard on the my train apologised for the slightly delay leaving Guildford. They then went on to explain the issues and said the train may well be terminated..... And then the train noise got to much outside, what with the windows open for ventilation, and I couldn't hear the rest.

My stopping train was busier than usual leaving Guildford. Perhaps some people thought they'd have a better chance of reaching Waterloo on it. After all that is where it said it was heading. I wonder if it will make it. I'm 50/50. It's not been part cancelled yet though.

Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Just left Waterloo bound for Bournemouth 50 minutes down, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Searle

Established Member
Also trains are being cancelled today which don't appear in Journey Check as bringing cancelled. E. G. 7.16 Guildford to, Waterloo. They are also advising where trains are terminating more generally but that isn't happening in all cases. They are not putting in the part cancellation of trains either.

My stopping train was busier than usual leaving Guildford. Perhaps some people thought they'd have a better chance of reaching Waterloo on it. After all that is where it said it was heading. I wonder if it will make it. I'm 50/50. It's not been part cancelled yet though.

The 07:16 did run, I watched it leave the station!

Which train are you on? I got the late 0707 (mainline) from Guildford, and even after picking up passengers from a cancelled poole service, it's still completely empty in here. Which is nice :)

341o2

Established Member
Report from Bournemoth Echo

South West Trains have significantly reduced the number of trains running to and from London Waterloo to ensure that delayed trains do not approach London Waterloo at the same time.

A spokesperson for South West Trains said: "Should you be travelling to London then please take a train towards Basingstoke and change for connections to London Paddington via Reading on Great Western Railway.

"Trains from Southampton Central (via Winchester) and Basingstoke (via Farnborough) towards London Waterloo will be cancelled.

"Trains departing from Weymouth, Poole and Bournemouth will terminate at Basingstoke.

"Trains departing from London Waterloo towards Weymouth will start from Basingstoke.

"South West Trains are advising not to travel into London at this time."

http://http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15473312._Don_t_travel_into_London___major_disruption_on_trains

Feathers44

I see the Daily Stat are saying it appears to have crashed into freight train. Are people certain it has actually crashed it into it? I'm not an expert and nor are the Daily Star.

Pictures on Twitter and ITN look pretty conclusive to this layman. Putting 2 and 2 together (and possibly getting 5) it looks very much like the points were wrong and the 456 was directed into an already occupied line getting lifted off the track as a result by the pressure from the Network Rail train.

I can only imagine the horrors of driving that. The BBC reports it as 'low speed' however as I'd assume is normal in the station throat.

As I read it, nothing to do with the works directly unless it's a points issue down to the unusual usage pattern of the station at the moment.

Edit: And now I'm catching myself jumping to early conclusions which is something that annoys me in others so my apologies if I'm leaping ahead too far and fast.

Last edited:
Well, I believe the photo in post #5 shows the two trains have made contact. So you don't really need to be an expert.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Taunton

Established Member
I see the Daily Stat are saying it appears to have crashed into freight train. Are people certain it has actually crashed it into it? I'm not an expert and nor are the Daily Star.
Yes, the 456 appears to have struck the side of the ballast train. More a scrape than a crash though.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I wish the guard was a bit more forthcoming. Still saying "congestion due to incident under investigation" whereas everybody on the train has seen the pictures by now...

Makes him seen the least informed in this smartphone age where nothing can be covered up.

In the majority of situations that is all the information we are given, if the guard isn't on Twitter then they probably may not be aware of the gravity of the situation. It is a ridiculous situation that passengers are sometimes more aware of what's happening than the guard.

Train involved appears to be 2D03 0540 Waterloo-Guildford via Epsom.

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member

The Echo group of newspapers delight in describing any RTA as a "crash", such as "Boy hit by car in crash on Weymouth seafront", even " car and bus stop shelter involved in crash"

Domh245

Established Member
Pictures on Twitter and ITN look pretty conclusive to this layman. Putting 2 and 2 together (and possibly getting 5) it looks very much like the points were wrong and the 456 was directed into an already occupied line getting lifted off the track as a result by the pressure from the Network Rail train.

I can only imagine the horrors of driving that. The BBC reports it as 'low speed' however as I'd assume is normal in the station throat.

As I read it, nothing to do with the works directly unless it's a points issue down to the unusual usage pattern of the station at the moment.

Edit: And now I'm catching myself jumping to early conclusions which is something that annoys me in others so my apologies if I'm leaping ahead too far and fast.

That'd have required some sort of bad wrong side failure to happen wouldn't it? I'd have thought that it was more likely for their to have been an interlocking failure, causing the points to have move under the train and diverting it into the side of the other train

Antman

Established Member
In the majority of situations that is all the information we are given, if the guard isn't on Twitter then they probably may not be aware of the gravity of the situation. It is a ridiculous situation that passengers are sometimes more aware of what's happening than the guard.

Not unusual nowadays that passengers on twitter know more than staff ;)

randompixel

Thanks for the info. Certainly not blaming the guard - seems like a management issue. I think the Waterloo & City line were tweeting derailment before SWT.

nlogax

Established Member
There are at least four temporary time-lapse cameras dotted around the works site that may have caught what happened, unless their pre-set time interval missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.